U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2018, 10:27 AM

3 posts, read 2,881 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I will be moving to Swampscott in the not too distant future, and am planning to take the commuter rail into Boston (and then shuttle to the seaport). My house will be about 1.2 miles from the Swampscott commuter rail stop, and I’m trying to figure out the easiest way to get to the commuter rail stop. The options would be to walk (about 23 min walk Per Google Maps), or I could bike or drive. I see that it costs about $100 to park in the parking lot, which isn’t ideal but I could possibly stomach if street parking wasn’t available and I knew that there would be an available spot each morning. I don’t mind biking in decent weather, but only if there is a place to lock up my bike. If the above two options don’t work, I’ll walk.

Any experience with any of the above options? Any thoughts?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2018, 12:11 PM

113 posts, read 73,441 times
Buy an electric scooter and take it on the train.

Old 10-28-2018, 12:41 PM

Would prefer not to haul and electric scooter to and from the office.

Also, for whatever it is worth, I would be using the train during rush hour in the morning, so I don’t expect to be getting there at 6:30 or any particularly early time like that.

Old 10-28-2018, 07:05 PM

113 posts, read 73,441 times
I'm not sure what advice you'd want then. There are only three options: 1. drive or have someone drive you (e.g. uber), 2. bike or walk, 3. drive and park. There's no way to reserve a spot, so you'd just have to get there early.

Old 10-28-2018, 07:12 PM

3,316 posts, read 5,947,232 times
Parking is generally not available in the lot (it is very small) unless you are very early and parking is prohibited on the surrounding streets. So your alternatives are either to walk to the Swampscott station or drive to the Lynn station and park in the garage, which has abundant parking. I recommend the latter.

Old 10-28-2018, 08:42 PM

652 posts, read 567,645 times
Maybe check on Waze Carpool?

Old 10-29-2018, 09:13 AM

649 posts, read 615,024 times
Also, just because they sell $100 monthly passes doesn’t mean you can buy one. Towns do all sorts of waitlists and/or lottery for parking passes. One town we looked at moving into you had to buy one on the website at some certain moment each month and if you weren’t able to sit there hitting “refresh” at the very moment they went one sale every month you just missed out. They all sold in 60 seconds every month. Kind of like trying to get one of the library’s free museum passes for the Children’s museum.

I would walk/ bike if I were you. That is a very short distance by greater Boston walk-commute standards.

Old 10-29-2018, 09:41 AM

Thanks for the replies. Seems like driving to the Swampscott stop is going to be too much of a hassle. I’ll probably bike/walk and in the cold/rain I might drive to the Lynn stop. Thanks all!

Old 10-29-2018, 09:49 AM

1,240 posts, read 584,002 times
If you're willing to walk a couple hundred yards to the station, you can find street parking in the surrounding area. Only very close to the station are there time restrictions. There are bike racks too.

I haven't tried it yet, but the silver line runs from Chelsea (commuter rail station) to Seaport, so if the shuttle isn't already arranged through work, that may be an alternative commuting route.

Old 10-30-2018, 01:47 PM

188 posts, read 212,216 times
-Walking to the station: depends on whether you have to walk on 1A. If yes, this is not great, but doable. If (part of) your walk is through the center/historic district, it will be certainly more pleasant.
-If you can take the first two trains, you could find a parking spot for free on the designated areas with a town sticker. Very limited number, but this is an option.
-Biking to the station: not really an option if you have to bike on 1A. During the winter, biking is not really doable.
-Street parking for free: on the streets north of the station. We used to park there every day and it is about 5min walk to the station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts