Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 09:07 AM

8,498 posts, read 4,561,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
The parent company has agreed in principal to be bought. It still has to go through the bankruptcy court process where another bidder might come up or the judge may decide to nullify the agreement.

Correct. They are in Chapter 11 which will allow them to reorganize. This status also allows them to break longtime leases (and other agreements) without costly penalties. Once they come out of bankruptcy leaner and with all their debt wiped out, this other company has agreed to be a stalking horse and buy them. This however is not a done deal. Another bidder could offer to pay more more and end up buying the company. The bankruptcy judge will typically choose the highest bidder so that creditors get the maximum on their claims. This is what happened with my former local retail employer. Management declared bankruptcy in order to wipe out all the debt it had chosen to take on, close under-performing locations with no penalty, and sell off some of its operations. It had a stalking horse lined up and top management plotted to stay in place after bankruptcy as part of this plan. Their plans were however thwarted when another buy stepped forward that was willing to pay a higher price. New owner (not the original stalking horse partner) came in and its first move was to can all top management on day 1.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2018, 08:26 AM

2,367 posts, read 1,855,557 times
Use to love papa ginos. Seems they tweaked their formula for the worse in the last decade or so. Maybe my taste just changed. I know sometimes though the smell in there is nauseating to me even when the food is good.

D'angelo was pretty consistent as well. Better than subway imo

Old 11-08-2018, 08:36 AM

3,219 posts, read 2,121,919 times
I remember in high school the No. 9 steak grilled combo from D'angelo on pita was heavenly. I prob haven't had it in 15 years, but all this talk is making me want to revisit it.

Old 11-08-2018, 11:50 AM

70 posts, read 70,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
I remember in high school the No. 9 steak grilled combo from D'angelo on pita was heavenly. I prob haven't had it in 15 years, but all this talk is making me want to revisit it.
As a No. 9 fan, I can tell you it is still pretty darn good! I get it on a sub roll after too many torn pita pockets.

Both my "go to" D'Angelo's and Papa Gino's are thankfully still open. I am a bit too far away from Boston to have a good local sub shop or a good local pizza place.

Old 11-08-2018, 11:56 AM

23,566 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
Seems they tweaked their formula for the worse in the last decade or so. Maybe my taste just changed.

Maybe it's not just me then? IDK, thought it tasted blander or something last time I went there.

Old 11-08-2018, 10:24 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,644,887 times
Payless Shoes and some Lowe's soon to follow.

Old 11-09-2018, 02:36 AM

2,190 posts, read 2,233,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
Payless Shoes and some Lowe's soon to follow.
Lowe's is still a profitable company. They aren't going anywhere (yet).

Old 11-09-2018, 05:52 AM

12,432 posts, read 9,529,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
Lowes isn't heading to bankruptcy, but they recently announced they are closing something like 50 low-performing stores, so business isn't great.

Old 11-09-2018, 05:56 AM

17,743 posts, read 9,192,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
Lowe's is closing 47 stores.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/business/...business-news/

Old 11-09-2018, 06:55 AM

2,947 posts, read 5,191,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Lowe's in Quincy is closing.

Plus the Quincy Wollaston Papa Gino's is one of their closed stores. Walked by it last night and the big amusement arcade game with toys/stuffed animals as prizes is still lighted in a far corner. Noticed a couple of rooftop delivery driver signs sitting in place up behind the cashier area. And Pat's Pizza in nearby Lower Mills has affixed signs on the windows for employment openings. Tried Pat's for the first time recently and it was pretty good pizza.

And I did see a "We're Closed" but 30% off or so sign in the Papa Gino's window, so maybe it'll be a longer-term promo?

I won't boycott despite their shady antics I'd like to keep a local place around for the next generation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts