Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 09:51 AM

12 posts, read 13,705 times

Advertisements

Yes, we are new transplants from San Francisco. Although we have lived in many places (Mid-west, Southwest, Pacific Northwest, West-Coast), we have never been in the East Coast. We now live in Lexington, and moved this August. We commute to Cambridge. In anticipation of commuting in snow and slush and also driving up a sloping drive-way, can you all please suggest a car that is
1. Safest for winter-drive (with AWD)
2. Good for commute
3. Reasonably priced (budget preferably at or under 30k)
4. Hybrid or fuel efficient (if possible)
5. Can seat a family of four: parents+2 small kids (not a huge SUV or van though)

We had decided to buy an electric or hybrid as our next car when we lived in SF. However, I haven't seen many electric or even hybrids here on the roads. Why is that? Are they not good for winters?

At this point our highest priority is safety not fuel efficiency.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2018, 09:57 AM

3,213 posts, read 2,120,946 times
All you need are good snow tires, And to know how to drive. Speed will kill you. Doesn't matter if you are 4x4 AWD or studded tires. Stopping on ice does not work when you are going fast. I would suggest spending more on the tires, or a dedicated set of winter tires and wheels to swap out.

Old 11-13-2018, 10:00 AM

875 posts, read 663,831 times
Tire choice has far greater impact than car choice for optimal driving in snow. A dedicated set of real snow tires with either AWD or FWD is the best option.

Old 11-13-2018, 10:00 AM

4,627 posts, read 4,894,804 times
I see hybrids all the time! And a good amount of Teslas (almost all Type S, only one X, and no Type 3s) and Volts. A lot of BMW i3 too. I see more i3s along 495 than the other two.

Snow tires are FAR more important than AWD. I've gotten a Subaru stuck in Yosemite because it had the wrong tires. Anyway, unless your a ER doctor or nurse, you're not going to be driving in heavy snow.

I'm very sad that Toyota doesn't make the Prius wagon anymore, cause that would be perfect.

Old 11-13-2018, 10:40 AM

12 posts, read 13,705 times
Thanks for the answers.
silly question: do you switch to snow tires during winter, and then go back to normal tires afterwards?

Old 11-13-2018, 11:00 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quantumdots View Post
Thanks for the answers.
silly question: do you switch to snow tires during winter, and then go back to normal tires afterwards?
Yes, a number of local tire shops offer a snow-tire changeout service, and some will even store the other tires for you if you don't have anywhere to put them. You put your normal tires back on in the spring. You can even purchase a spare set of wheels to mount the tires to and just swap them out on your own. That's what i used to do.

As to what vehicle to select, any of the current AWD/FWD offerings will be capable with good tires in all but the biggest storms. If it's really bad out, just stay home like many people here do. I stopped buying tires a few years ago because it was a waste for me when i worked from home whenever snow was forecast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
And a good amount of Teslas (almost all Type S, only one X, and no Type 3s) and Volts. A lot of BMW i3 too. I see more i3s along 495 than the other two.
I'm seeing about one Model 3 per day on my commute to Bedford along I-95. I am starting to see them more than Model S's and X's. There's also one gentleman driving a gold i8 along that same stretch of road. Nice car

Old 11-13-2018, 11:03 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,004 times
Boston snow is very intermittent. Rather than snow 2 inches 24 times, it will snow 12 inches 4 times. Unless you are in a public safety-related career, chances are you will not need to be driving in heavy snow. Things will shut down during big snows and they are generally cleared pretty quickly. It's snowier here than it is all the places you've mentioned, but this isn't Buffalo or the Cascades; you don't need to go crazy.

If you must drive around in snow, the most important thing is to be careful when driving. The key is to not make any sudden moves, snow reduces friction and friction is what you need to roll rather than slip. The corollary is that you can't go too fast, because stopping quickly is a sudden move. As others have mentioned, snow tires are the next best thing. I would rate knowing how (and when not to) drive are more important. Someone who says snow tires are more important probably assumes a baseline of good driving. Then AWD.

There are plenty of hybrids and electrical vehicles. Most batteries don't do well in really cold weather so expect a hit on range in the winter if you go all-electric. The good news is that we don't get really cold weather here, so the range decrease will be minor.

Old 11-13-2018, 11:07 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,807,412 times
My volt went from 60 to 45 mile range when temps hit the 30s recently. If you can charge at home or work you have a "full tank" every day. Probably will get worse when temps drop. Not as many EV incentives as CA has, but the state does have $2500 that goes towards purchase or lease. Decent amount of charging infrastructure here too considering how few other EVs I see.

I would prioritize a good AWD over being green. I got a Tiguan recently and really like it, around $23k. Cross shopped the Mazda and Honda offerings but just liked the VW more. They now come with a 6yr/72k mile warranty.

Old 11-13-2018, 11:37 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quantumdots View Post
Thanks for the answers.

Yes. Normally, you buy separate winter wheels and tires. A true snow tire can't be used in the summer. The rubber compound is too soft and it will wear out quickly.

As an alternative, Nokian makes an all weather tire called the WR G4 you can leave on the car all year. It has the mountain/snowflake symbol on it so it's a real snow tire. You don't get quite the performance of a winter-only tire but it's far better for winter driving than the stock tires on your car.

Link: https://www.nokiantires.com/all-weat.../nokian-wr-g4/

Old 11-13-2018, 03:13 PM

349 posts, read 320,939 times
Welcome quantumdots!

I'm also a Boston transplant from San Francisco, moved 2 years ago. Echoing what everyone else said, choice of times matters so much more any other factor. Also, snow gets cleared quickly in Boston. I drive a compact sedan with all season tires with zero issues. Even after a 3 foot snowfall, I can generally get to work within 4-8 hours.

I would seriously consider a separate set of snow tires if you expect to make regular trips to New Hampshire or Vermont (especially) in the winter. Also, if you're highly risk adverse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts