Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 12:22 PM

17,743 posts, read 9,192,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I do think it is possible for these shops to be managed properly but time will tell and what it all comes down to is personal responsibility of the users but as we have seen in so many cases today personal responsibility is as rare as common sense.
I'm happy the shops are opening but it's entirely for selfish reasons (I want to be able to legally purchase high quality, lab tested stuff from a legitimate business). That said, I think it's a horrible idea and will cause many problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
It just sits wrong with me to give 2 businesses a de facto monolopy in the entire state. The owners of those businesses are going to become very rich because they got favorable treatment by the government.

There are 42 medical marijuana dispensarys in the state, yet only 2 are given the green light to start off.

The CCC should have approved all 42 to sell recreational marijuana (assuming they had approval in their respective commuties), or postponed the date until all were approved.
Not all medical places will become recreational, and there will be plenty of recreational places that have no affiliation with medical.

The 2 rec places opening first likely just got their act together before the others.

Old 11-17-2018, 12:38 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,233,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Not all medical places will become recreational, and there will be plenty of recreational places that have no affiliation with medical.

The 2 rec places opening first likely just got their act together before the others.
If we use Colorado as an example, medical marijuana dispensarys will eventually cease to exist once recreational marijuana shops open. This is because few people will go through the hassle of obtaining a medical marijuana perscription when you can get the same product without a perscription at another store.

So I find it hard to believe that most medical dispensary's dont want to sell recreational marijuana eventually.

Old 11-17-2018, 01:01 PM

Quote:

Quote:
If we use Colorado as an example, medical marijuana dispensarys will eventually cease to exist once recreational marijuana shops open. This is because few people will go through the hassle of obtaining a medical marijuana perscription when you can get the same product without a perscription at another store.

So I find it hard to believe that most medical dispensary's dont want to sell recreational marijuana eventually.
I don't know about Colorado, but there are many towns in MA that allow medical but have banned recreational.

Also, medical costs less. Well, I don't know if the product itself costs less but recreational will be taxed 17 to 20%. No tax for medical.

Old 11-18-2018, 04:59 PM

24,495 posts, read 17,232,699 times
Quote:
I'm happy the shops are opening but it's entirely for selfish reasons (I want to be able to legally purchase high quality, lab tested stuff from a legitimate business). That said, I think it's a horrible idea and will cause many problems.

That is funny redplum33. I'm not planning on going to a pot shop but I know some people that are looking forward to the planned stores near us opening soon.

I am not such a prude to tell people what they can and cannot do but I want them to do it responsibly.

Time will tell if making pot legal is a good idea or not. I don't think it is going to be the huge cash windfall the towns and state is counting on but who knows maybe we will have a whole segment of the population that chooses to embrace the "Devils cabbage" and they will "turn on, tune in and drop out" and happily pay the high taxes to get high.

Old 11-19-2018, 08:05 AM

432 posts, read 414,985 times
I was living in CO during their transition to legal recreational. If anything it helped kill the counter-culture perception of marijuana. The customers at the pot shop look the same as at the liquor store, nothing special, nothing rebellious, just plain old people.

Old 11-19-2018, 09:27 AM

24,495 posts, read 17,232,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brk330 View Post
I was living in CO during their transition to legal recreational. If anything it helped kill the counter-culture perception of marijuana. The customers at the pot shop look the same as at the liquor store, nothing special, nothing rebellious, just plain old people.

Well lets hope the transition here in Mass goes as smoothly and no one is hurt when someone decides to give pot a try now that it is legal to purchase from a shop and not some seedy guy that knows a guy.

We have millions of people that enjoy alcohol responsibly so pot should be the same but there will be those who abuse it or carelessly let their kids have access to it.

I wonder if someone does get toked up in the parking lot and on the way home crashes his car and kills someone if the media will downplay the cause since our elected seem to be embracing the expected pot shop tax revenues? Negative press coverage will not help their stand.

Old 11-19-2018, 10:03 AM

9,880 posts, read 7,212,572 times
Quote:
It just sits wrong with me to give 2 businesses a de facto monolopy in the entire state. The owners of those businesses are going to become very rich because they got favorable treatment by the government.

There are 42 medical marijuana dispensarys in the state, yet only 2 are given the green light to start off.

The CCC should have approved all 42 to sell recreational marijuana (assuming they had approval in their respective commuties), or postponed the date until all were approved.
I believe that there are not enough approved growers for recreational and as such opening dozens of shops at once would create a shortage. Also the Cannabis Control Commission isn’t a huge department.

Old 11-19-2018, 11:24 AM

70 posts, read 70,451 times
It's about time. That is all

Old 11-19-2018, 11:30 AM

6,808 posts, read 6,045,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I wonder if someone does get toked up in the parking lot and on the way home crashes his car and kills someone if the media will downplay the cause since our elected seem to be embracing the expected pot shop tax revenues? Negative press coverage will not help their stand.
I mean is the cause downplayed when a drunk driver hits and kills someone? Why would it be any different if the person were high instead of drunk?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts