U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-23-2018, 01:12 PM
 
601 posts, read 343,510 times
Reputation: 217

Advertisements

What will Natick be like in 10-15 years?

I'm not sure if others share my view, but it seems like Natick is one of the better buys right now. It has a good combination of location, schools, and amenities for the price. The boston/cambridge commute is reasonable - about 1hr during rush hour by car or by commuter rail. The 128 commute is better ~30min to most areas. The schools are highly rated and trending upwards. There are also several large & expanding employers located in the town such as Mathworks and Cognex. Mathworks just opened a giant new campus and plans to hire an additional 3000 workers in Natick. The amenities in the town are superb - 2 commuter rail stops, a nice town center, the golden triangle shopping area - the second largest retail district in massachusetts behind downtown crossing in Boston. The town is more or less fully built out and now developers are tearing down older homes and building much more expensive new ones.

What do others think of the appreciation potential of buying in Natick in 2018/2019?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-23-2018, 02:41 PM
 
841 posts, read 554,074 times
Reputation: 893
I think factoring appreciation when buying a "home to live in" is a big mistake. The market will always have ups/downs, if appreciation is a major concern then its likely you are stretching it thin to buy at this time... not a good place to be

Find a home where your kids can settle in the schools and don't consider appreciation. In 15 years (when they are done with school), you will likely not loose money (when compared to renting)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2018, 03:19 PM
 
601 posts, read 343,510 times
Reputation: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugelrex View Post
I think factoring appreciation when buying a "home to live in" is a big mistake. The market will always have ups/downs, if appreciation is a major concern then its likely you are stretching it thin to buy at this time... not a good place to be

Find a home where your kids can settle in the schools and don't consider appreciation. In 15 years (when they are done with school), you will likely not loose money (when compared to renting)

Not factoring in projected appreciation and current value for the money would be foolish in my opinion.

I'm curious why you would think that i'm stretching given that appreciation is important to me? I'm confident we can pretty easily afford Natick... You tell me though. 330k household income w/ 1.2M net worth
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2018, 05:40 PM
 
841 posts, read 554,074 times
Reputation: 893
Quote:
Originally Posted by panchilly View Post
Not factoring in projected appreciation and current value for the money would be foolish in my opinion.

I'm curious why you would think that i'm stretching given that appreciation is important to me? I'm confident we can pretty easily afford Natick... You tell me though. 330k household income w/ 1.2M net worth
you can definitely afford it, a home is for living. You should rely on rental homes, speculative property, stocks, business for appreciation/investments. Great job on the income and savings, you're doing everything right

If forced, I would buy in gold-plated school districts, not up-and-coming or getting-better, but ones which already have a solid reputation. These will weather the downturn relatively much better than others (but still not immune to declines)

Just basic common sense will tell you that interest rates are 'close' to historic lows and home prices are close to historic highs. Buy a long term home with 30year fixed and forget about it. There will definitely be a big dip within the next 10 years, if you don't consider appreciation when purchasing then you'll sleep well at night
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2018, 09:15 PM
 
1,198 posts, read 493,922 times
Reputation: 2031
Quote:
Originally Posted by panchilly View Post
Not factoring in projected appreciation and current value for the money would be foolish in my opinion.

I'm curious why you would think that i'm stretching given that appreciation is important to me? I'm confident we can pretty easily afford Natick... You tell me though. 330k household income w/ 1.2M net worth
You probably can’t afford Natick with that profile, but you might be able to find something in Framingham. Maybe even North Framingham if you’re willing to compromise on square footage. Framingham is overdue for some serious gentrification, so your home would be a sweet notch in the ol’ portfolio in 5-10 years.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2018, 09:42 PM
 
Location: Westwood, MA
4,226 posts, read 5,341,913 times
Reputation: 5181
Quote:
Originally Posted by panchilly View Post
Not factoring in projected appreciation and current value for the money would be foolish in my opinion.

I'm curious why you would think that i'm stretching given that appreciation is important to me? I'm confident we can pretty easily afford Natick... You tell me though. 330k household income w/ 1.2M net worth
Pricing houses 15 years in the future is foolish. Don’t try. Price things now. If Natick works for your budget right now and you like what it has to offer it’s a great choice. Don’t fool yourself into thinking you can predict home appreciation much better than chance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2018, 09:46 PM
 
601 posts, read 343,510 times
Reputation: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
Pricing houses 15 years in the future is foolish. Don’t try. Price things now. If Natick works for your budget right now and you like what it has to offer it’s a great choice. Don’t fool yourself into thinking you can predict home appreciation much better than chance.
Do you think natick will outperform rural Montana real estate in the next decade? Or is that pure market speculation and totally up to chance?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2018, 10:37 PM
 
Location: The Moon
1,412 posts, read 1,138,619 times
Reputation: 1623
How could anyone possibly predict that? Got any ideas what the lottery numbers will be?

Natick is a solid town, commutable to Boston with pretty good schools. That is what you should focus on.

There is a highly insignificant yet non zero chance that it will perform similarly to rural Montana. That is not what you should focus on.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2018, 11:58 PM
 
3,348 posts, read 1,860,005 times
Reputation: 2764
Quote:
Originally Posted by panchilly View Post
What will Natick be like in 10-15 years?

I'm not sure if others share my view, but it seems like Natick is one of the better buys right now. It has a good combination of location, schools, and amenities for the price. The boston/cambridge commute is reasonable - about 1hr during rush hour by car or by commuter rail. The 128 commute is better ~30min to most areas. The schools are highly rated and trending upwards. There are also several large & expanding employers located in the town such as Mathworks and Cognex. Mathworks just opened a giant new campus and plans to hire an additional 3000 workers in Natick. The amenities in the town are superb - 2 commuter rail stops, a nice town center, the golden triangle shopping area - the second largest retail district in massachusetts behind downtown crossing in Boston. The town is more or less fully built out and now developers are tearing down older homes and building much more expensive new ones.

What do others think of the appreciation potential of buying in Natick in 2018/2019?
Natick should continue to do well- Of towns with similar reputation and COL, I prefer some others, most notably Reading (both the town and the location). From an investment standpoint, you can’t go wrong with towns in close proximity to Burlington/that area of 95. Plus, Reading is a bit more cohesive, and has preserved it’s older neighborhood charm. At $330k, you should be able to afford the neighborhoods west of 28. Buying power is high in Andover right now for what you get, and to me is the nicest of the bunch. With Philips and the Andover school district, it’s a very safe long term investment.. Probabaly won’t appreciate at the same clip as Natick or Reading though. The other worth noting is Bedford.. Has skyrocketed in price.

If you really want an investment, buy a beater in Arlington or Melrose.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2018, 03:27 AM
 
Location: Westwood, MA
4,226 posts, read 5,341,913 times
Reputation: 5181
Quote:
Originally Posted by panchilly View Post
Do you think natick will outperform rural Montana real estate in the next decade? Or is that pure market speculation and totally up to chance?
It is market speculation. I doubt rural Montana has had much appreciation in the past decade and so will probably see comparatively little decline in the event of a downturn. Who knows, maybe they’ll find another shale play and mineral rights will go crazy.

I wouldn’t recommend most people speculate in either market. If you’re in need of property in rural Montana, buy there. If you’re in need of property in Metro Boston, maybe pick Natick. I’m also not saying real estate speculation is impossible, only that it is difficult. If you’re asking on random internet boards you either aren’t ready or working an angle. All the things you’ve mentioned about Natick make it a good buy now. Maybe it’s even undervalued relative to somewhere like Wellesley.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top