U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2018, 08:23 PM

253 posts, read 748,111 times

Advertisements

December 14 is a monthly Arts night out link so there are a few extra things going on downtown then, and Art Museum admission is free.

As mentioned, strolling around Main Street is pleasant, you will find such things as Thornes Marketplace (nice stuff at Cedar Chest for holiday gifts), Herrill’s Ice Cream, and quirky Faces. Plenty of good food choices. Try Jake’s or Sylvester’s for breakfast, Amanouz Cafe for Moroccan, the black bean pizza at Pinnochio’s or Viva Fresh Pasta. You may want to check out any musicians/shows going on at the Calvin Theater, Iron Horse, or Academy of Music. I love visiting the Smith Greenhouse Conservatory, especially on a cold winter day. Forbes Libray is a nice visit too. You can even take a soak at East Haven Hot Tubs.

Outside of Downtown, you could visit the classic Miss Flo Diner in Florence (more for the experience than the food), Take a walk (or bike) along the bike path bridge over the Connecticut River, or stroll through Childs Park. Look Park is nice (especially in the summer and if you are under 10 years old), but their holiday lighting (drive-thru) display is not overwhelming. If that is really your thing, take a drive to Bright Nights at Forest park in Springfield (but not free). Look Park does do a classy Santa encounter in the Garden House, though.

For a drive, there are also scenic rural areas within and surrounding Northampton, like the farmland of Hadley and Hatfield or the hills of Williamsburg. Skinner Mountain (Hadley) and Sugarloaf Mountain (Sunderland) are state parks that offer great views of the valley, but they are probably closed this time of year to cars, so you may need to hike up. Finally, since you are in the area, you may want to experience the big Yankee Candle store in Deerfield, about 15 minutes north on 91. Enjoy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2018, 04:14 AM

838 posts, read 676,371 times
Gotta make a correction to WMass's otherwise excellent ideas. The mountain is called Mt. Holyoke, NOT Skinner Mountain (it's in Skinner State Park, hence the confusion).

Old 12-06-2018, 05:26 AM

473 posts, read 154,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebNashua View Post
As a step towards my finding where I want to be in West MA -- previous thread from a couple of weeks ago.

My first exploratory weekend in Northampton is coming up soon and I'm really looking forward to it.

I have spoken with a local realtor and will be meeting with him to discuss the town and what I'm looking for. He will then take me of a tour of the various areas of Northampton.

Aside from all that, any suggestions of what I should absolutely check out? Restaurants, shops, etc? I am hoping to fall in love with the town. Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome. I am going to be staying at the Hotel Northampton.
Let us know what you end up seeing! I am planning to go visit sometime as well but haven't decided yet if I should go before Christmas or wait until summer time.

Old 12-06-2018, 07:12 AM

11,923 posts, read 6,163,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
As has been noted, just walk along Main St. Make sure to go into Thorne's. The Smith College campus is wonderful in warmer weather and has a good museum and greenhouses open to the public.

Nothampton pretty much has anything anyone could want, and, off hand, I can't really think of any bad areas.

The Smith College Lyman Plant House and Conservatory is a great place to spend a few hours on a cold winter day.

Old 12-06-2018, 07:16 AM

11,923 posts, read 6,163,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
New England Treatment Access
118 Conz St.
Northampton, MA

So you've never lived in a socioeconomically mixed place? You should try it. It might expand your horizons.

Old 12-06-2018, 08:09 AM

1,342 posts, read 867,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffee72 View Post
Let us know what you end up seeing! I am planning to go visit sometime as well but haven't decided yet if I should go before Christmas or wait until summer time.
Will do!

If all works out, I will end up moving there. As much as I very much enjoy where I live now, I need to position myself so that I can really immerse myself in my new job in the best possible way. So, I want to move closer sooner, rather than later.

Northampton has piqued my interest in what the town has to offer so, while the selling and buying of property and packing and moving is a painful process, I am excited about settling in the area. I just wish that I could leap over all of the painful bits.

Old 12-06-2018, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
So you've never lived in a socioeconomically mixed place? You should try it. It might expand your horizons.
Yeah, I wasn't sure what to make of that snarky post. But whatever, I lived in NYC for 20 years, I am used to diversity myself, believe me.

Old 12-06-2018, 08:37 AM

253 posts, read 748,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tovarisch View Post
Gotta make a correction to WMass's otherwise excellent ideas. The mountain is called Mt. Holyoke, NOT Skinner Mountain (it's in Skinner State Park, hence the confusion).
Correct. Also, Mt. Sugarloaf is in (South) Deerfield, not Sunderland

Old 12-06-2018, 10:36 AM

2,840 posts, read 741,843 times
Quote:
New England Treatment Access
118 Conz St.
Northampton, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Huh? What are you talking about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebNashua View Post
Yeah, I wasn't sure what to make of that snarky post. But whatever, I lived in NYC for 20 years, I am used to diversity myself, believe me.
There was nothing snarky about my post, and I don't understand the diversity comment.

Thread title: Upcoming Weekend in Northampton -- what should I check out?

You asked what you should check out while in Northampton. I suggested the new recreational marijuana store.

If I was spending a weekend in Northampton, that would be the first place I'd go to.

Old 12-06-2018, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Huh? What are you talking about?

There was nothing snarky about my post, and I don't understand the diversity comment.

Thread title: Upcoming Weekend in Northampton -- what should I check out?

You asked what you should check out while in Northampton. I suggested the new recreational marijuana store.

If I was spending a weekend in Northampton, that would be the first place I'd go to.

Oh! I thought you were talking about a drug rehab place -- too funny!

I think I'll probably steer clear for now. Not sure what the cannabis policy is at the new job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or