Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 06:17 AM

6,805 posts, read 6,027,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
That's the modern "liberal" way, treating grown adults like children..
Do you often give marijuana to children?

That’s what’s weird about this whole thing to me: if the state can trust us not to get high and drive, it should also be able to trust us not to drink and drive when offered cheaper drinks at bars and restaurants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffee72 View Post
There's too much traffic around here for people to be driving around half drunk or completely drunk. They should RAISE the prices on alcoholic drinks to keep the drunks off the roads.
Why not just ban cars? It would be more eco-friendly and it would get rid of drunk driving more effectively than any amount of price increases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2018, 07:06 AM

2,954 posts, read 1,410,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post

Why not just ban cars? It would be more eco-friendly and it would get rid of drunk driving more effectively than any amount of price increases.
People need a car for more than just driving to and from a happy hour, so banning cars would be ridiculous. It would be fine if happy hour attendees had to walk or ride a bike home. They would get exercise to fight off a beer belly and not be a danger on the roads.

Old 12-09-2018, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffee72 View Post
People need a car for more than just driving to and from a happy hour, so banning cars would be ridiculous. It would be fine if happy hour attendees had to walk or ride a bike home. They would get exercise to fight off a beer belly and not be a danger on the roads.
Many people don’t own cars, and get along fine.

Old 12-09-2018, 05:47 PM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Quote:
Many people don’t own cars, and get along fine.
And many people own cars and drink responsibly or not at all. Doesn't seem fair to punish them for the actions of irresponsible people

Old 12-09-2018, 06:18 PM

23,568 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Quote:
Do you often give marijuana to children?

That’s what’s weird about this whole thing to me: if the state can trust us not to get high and drive, it should also be able to trust us not to drink and drive when offered cheaper drinks at bars and restaurants.
MJ was legalized by a voter initiative, very different.

Old 12-09-2018, 07:42 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,798,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
There is no happy hr in MA?

I don't go out much and when I do, don't drink much, but this is a surprise.
The practice of Happy Hour has been banned since 1984, or 1985.

I have older cousins who would tell stories about the days when you had bars in Boston doing nickel drafts, 2 for 1, $10 open bar, etc. back in the 1970s and early 1980s.

Old 12-10-2018, 07:07 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Kind of a pointless question. Nobody is going to fight MADD and the anti-DUI mantra. When self-driving cars happen, sure. Until then, there's zero chance any state with an anti-Happy Hour law is going to repeal it.

A good friend of mine jokes that he's a charter member of DAMM. Drunks against mad mothers.
Now that is funny.

Old 12-10-2018, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
And many people own cars and drink responsibly or not at all. Doesn't seem fair to punish them for the actions of irresponsible people
Well that’s sort of my point, isn’t it?

The poster I was responding to suggested that increasing the price of booze in restaurants would be a good and fair way for the state to cut down on DUIs. In response, I suggested an equally ridiculous way for the state to cut down on DUIs that (imo) would be even more effective. Both would punish people who don’t deserve it, and neither suggestion will or should ever be put into practice.

I’ll add that many people in other states are able to drink responsibly even with discounted beverages on the menu. The law we have in place is already punishing responsible Bay Staters for the actions of irresponsible people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
MJ was legalized by a voter initiative, very different.
In my imagination if the happy hour ban were ever challenged in MA, it would be challenged with a ballot initiative. Now granted, I don’t know enough about state politics to know if that’s how it would actually happen. Definitely not my area of expertise.

Last edited by Boston Shudra; 12-10-2018 at 09:54 AM..

Old 08-31-2021, 03:26 PM

News?

https://www.boston25news.com/news/ha...l1WXCvm471YCKE

Old 08-31-2021, 04:15 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times
It's been getting discussed the past few months. Baker isn't in a rush to change it though and "doesn't care if that makes [him] an old fogey" his words, not mine.

MADD says they have no feelings either way. Dont support nor do they support the ban on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts