Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 10:34 AM

3,212 posts, read 2,120,946 times

Advertisements

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Heres a good data set for Boston specific

Last edited by Yac; 12-17-2018 at 01:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2018, 11:23 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,138,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
It is. You still have your general population of townies in Bev, I see a lot of similarities of Bev and 1990's Somerville before Somerville became what it is today.

--------

I've always wanted to see a similar list that only takes into account the median income of homeowners in a specific town. It would give me a good reference point to where I am vs my HH income and how it compares to other towns.
Same with Arlington. I was a bit surprised to see my town, Sterling, at parity with Arlington given current RE prices and proximity to Boston. However, an objective view reveals little surprise.

There is a large population of retired and semi-retired households in Arlington with very blue collar backgrounds - bought cheap in the '70's/'80's and are now comfortably living of a pension and/or reverse mortgages. Meanwhile, my town is consists mostly of larger homes on larger lots - the type of properties that, even if affordable, require a certain means to maintain/manage. Unlike the retirees in Arlington, who's wealth is largely tied to their RE, the retirees in my town had significant incomes prior to retirement and/or cashed out of significant RE holdings. Additionally, there are few rentals or subsidized units which skew income down.

If this list were to only included active participants in the labor force, the rankings would differ greatly.

Old 12-13-2018, 11:46 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,957,550 times
There are still plenty of townies in Somerville too. If you want that scene, play some keno at the China Delight. Bobby makes a mean mai tai.

Old 12-13-2018, 12:03 PM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
Same with Arlington. I was a bit surprised to see my town, Sterling, at parity with Arlington given current RE prices and proximity to Boston. However, an objective view reveals little surprise.

There is a large population of retired and semi-retired households in Arlington with very blue collar backgrounds - bought cheap in the '70's/'80's and are now comfortably living of a pension and/or reverse mortgages. Meanwhile, my town is consists mostly of larger homes on larger lots - the type of properties that, even if affordable, require a certain means to maintain/manage. Unlike the retirees in Arlington, who's wealth is largely tied to their RE, the retirees in my town had significant incomes prior to retirement and/or cashed out of significant RE holdings. Additionally, there are few rentals or subsidized units which skew income down.

If this list were to only included active participants in the labor force, the rankings would differ greatly.

Similar distinction here with my city and exactly along the lines of how I was thinking. It would be nice to break the data down further to paint a better picture of home affordability in comparison to personal metrics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
There are still plenty of townies in Somerville too. If you want that scene, play some keno at the China Delight. Bobby makes a mean mai tai.

Well aware of that. Probably related to a good chunk of them.

Last edited by BostonMike7; 12-13-2018 at 12:14 PM..

Old 12-13-2018, 12:06 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Well aware of that. Probably related to a good chunk of them.

Not a bad lot if I am in the mood to talk sports, I just avoid the politics! Or, try too.

Old 12-13-2018, 12:11 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,918,842 times
Higher median income levels in Westford than in Concord?

Ha.

Old 12-13-2018, 12:37 PM

79 posts, read 87,098 times
For a comparison, Wikipedia ranks MA communities based on median per capita income based on older 2009-13 census data, as opposed to median household income. However, it also includes figures for median household income and median family income.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List..._capita_income

Old 12-13-2018, 03:45 PM

9,877 posts, read 7,209,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Higher median income levels in Westford than in Concord?

Ha.
Do they count the "residents" at the rotary? Didn't Concord tried to count the prison cells as affordable housing units a few years back?

Old 12-13-2018, 04:08 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,766,606 times
Most urban areas actually have same HH size as the suburbs with the exception of Boston and Camberville. That where many families live-in those tenements.

Old 12-14-2018, 09:57 AM

7,924 posts, read 7,813,022 times
This argument can be complicated for a variety of reasons.

1) Just because someone lives somewhere does not automatically mean they spend time there.

2) How is income defined? If it's by wages alone then retirees are considered poor. If it includes investment income and pensions that is totally different

3) What about those that live and work in different states? Long ago I used to see a woman in Lawrence. They are so close to NH that frankly it makes more sense due to the demographics and sales taxes to cross the border. Sales taxes are regressive so this makes sense. Springfield is about ten minutes from CT. Practically a third of the cars here have CT plates and the rail goes directly in. Likewise Providence to Fall river is less than a half hour. Pittsfield to Albany about an hour. Let's be honest here. If everyone that worked in boston actually lived there the size of it would be much larger along with most of the cities in the state and region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts