Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 07:42 PM

7,920 posts, read 7,806,919 times

Advertisements

I'm sure this has come up time and again but in many communities it can differ in terms of what's around in the mall. I think of places in Springfield, Pittsfield, Hanover, Holyoke, Taunton etc

It seems to me that the most obvious choice would be housing but is that the only choice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2018, 09:05 PM

23,568 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Elderly housing.

Old 12-12-2018, 09:08 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,230,657 times
Indoor marijuana farms

Old 12-13-2018, 07:59 AM

24,461 posts, read 17,203,514 times
I heard the mall in Hanover is slated for demolition and a new open air strip mall will be built.

Wasn't the whole idea of a mall back in the day was to enclose a bunch of stores from the elements and have a little community under one roof where a visitor could shop, get a bite to eat and go to the movies?

I think ripping the roof off of malls is ridiculous especially in the Northeast. Who likes to dash from store to store while the wind is driving a cold rain or snow?

Hanover mall also wants to go upscale like the Derby Street open mall up the road which doesn't make sense because it will limit the customers. Hanover is a rich town but there are still plenty of people that are not so well off living and shopping in the area.

Affordable housing is something every town needs so maybe malls should build apartments above the stores and be sure to provide plenty of parking.

Old 12-13-2018, 08:00 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
It seems to me that the most obvious choice would be housing but is that the only choice?

I think it most cases it would probably be cheaper to tear it down and build housing at the site, then to repurpose it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I think ripping the roof off of malls is ridiculous especially in the Northeast. Who likes to dash from store to store while the wind is driving a cold rain or snow?
I'll take a set up like Wrentham over an enclosed mall any day. Being able to be outside for even 15-30 seconds helps preserve sanity.

Old 12-13-2018, 08:18 AM

875 posts, read 662,987 times
Have a look at what is underway for the old arsenal mall in Watertown - mix of living/shopping/entertainment/office space/restaurants-grocery store

i think this is the way forward.

https://www.arsenalyards.com/our-story/

Old 12-13-2018, 08:19 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,719,577 times
It does seem that housing is the way that a lot of malls are going about using their space, and it seems like it could be a virtuous cycle -- having people living near retail would encourage more buying local (if you can just walk 5 minutes to get something, there is less need to buy it online for mailbox delivery). But this would only work in areas where there is a high demand for housing. If an area is overall depressed, with few jobs, I don't think that just adding housing would work.

Old 12-13-2018, 09:26 AM

779 posts, read 876,560 times
I feel like the Hanover Mall project will never happen. The developers won't build unless their plans for 300 apartments are approved, but the town won't approve because of traffic, water supply, and other issues. Derby Street looks nice, but this time of year getting in and out of there is so painful that I avoid it all costs. Even Chipotle. And that is saying a lot.

As a parent with young kids, I am a fan of Kingston Collection right now. They have Sky Zone, Billy Beez, Pinz, Pump 'n' Jump, that race track place, the food court, the movie theater. And it's all indoors. On a cold winter day you could spend the entire day in there and never get bored. I haven't tried it, but on some cold, snowy day this winter, I might!

Old 12-13-2018, 09:43 AM

6,356 posts, read 4,173,212 times
It seems traditional Malls are being partially demolished and renovated/reconstructed into multi use areas with a few anchor stores, entertainment, gyms, open type Mall shops and stores and restaurants. These usually have a larger footprint and are more diverse and no longer under one roof. Perhaps they offer better flexibility for other businesses or shops to come and go.

I’m sure this concept will evolve into something different in another decade or so!

Old 12-13-2018, 11:20 AM

7,920 posts, read 7,806,919 times
I wouldn't exactly call Hanover rich by any means. As for open air Colony place in plymouth fits that.

It's a weird back and forth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts