Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 06:37 PM

23,561 posts, read 18,707,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
Dunkin' Donuts is running ads around town that say "Our Jersey Shore is Revere Beach and our coffee is Dunkin'". That probably doesn't help.
But since true...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2018, 09:08 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,249,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
But since true...
Lol. I saw them too. On rte 3 north-Chelmsford. Seemed like a major put down lol

Old 12-18-2018, 10:41 PM

2,947 posts, read 5,191,791 times
[quote=LLCNYC;53923012]Lol. I saw them too. On rte 3 north-Chelmsford. Seemed like a major put down lol[/QUOTE

Hmmmmm...I didn't initially take the Jersey Shore reference as an insult to Revere.

I just think they were trying to be ultra local on those quips on their various ads in this new ad campaign.

Maybe it was truly an unintended insult?

It's just everyone around here knows of or has been to Revere Beach, more than Crane Beach, Horseneck Beach or Wollaston Beach...some perhaps with good memories of Revere Beach. DD is of course considered working-class by many, as is Revere Beach as well. A perfect match...Yes, some non-working class enjoy DD as well.

They've improved the sand and amenities, for sure, in the past 20 years. Plus they have the annual sandcastle competition which gets local media attention.

Is it the poor image of the characters from MTV's Jersey Shore in general? The actual Jersey Shore itself? Both? Actually, it does have some nice parts like Cape May. And hasn't Ashbury Park gentrified somewhat, starting over ten years ago? Is Point Pleasant nice?

My Jersey friend brags how much better the Jersey Shore experience (the waves?) is versus most or all beaches in Massachusetts; I heard that from another person years ago also.

Old 12-19-2018, 06:23 AM

1,642 posts, read 1,400,099 times
[quote=bostonguy1960;53923405]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Lol. I saw them too. On rte 3 north-Chelmsford. Seemed like a major put down lol[/QUOTE

Hmmmmm...I didn't initially take the Jersey Shore reference as an insult to Revere.

I just think they were trying to be ultra local on those quips on their various ads in this new ad campaign.

Maybe it was truly an unintended insult?

It's just everyone around here knows of or has been to Revere Beach, more than Crane Beach, Horseneck Beach or Wollaston Beach...some perhaps with good memories of Revere Beach. DD is of course considered working-class by many, as is Revere Beach as well. A perfect match...Yes, some non-working class enjoy DD as well.

They've improved the sand and amenities, for sure, in the past 20 years. Plus they have the annual sandcastle competition which gets local media attention.

Is it the poor image of the characters from MTV's Jersey Shore in general? The actual Jersey Shore itself? Both? Actually, it does have some nice parts like Cape May. And hasn't Ashbury Park gentrified somewhat, starting over ten years ago? Is Point Pleasant nice?

My Jersey friend brags how much better the Jersey Shore experience (the waves?) is versus most or all beaches in Massachusetts; I heard that from another person years ago also.

I think it's Jersey Shore is Italian kids and Revere is/was Italian

Old 12-19-2018, 07:04 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
Is it the poor image of the characters from MTV's Jersey Shore in general?
Revere, historically, was a blue-collar Italian neighborhood. There's been a changeover in the last decade or two, but when Jersey Shore came out on MTV there were a lot of similarities at the time. Being in my 20's at the time, I remember it quite well in addition to the insults and poking fun of it that came with it due to the poor image of the show. There were rumors that MTV was looking to do a Jersey Shore - Revere edition, but unsure if that was a real idea pitched by MTV or wishful thinking/poking fun by some residents.

But when I saw that billboard, being a former revere resident of Italian decent and being the brunt of some jokes pertaining to Jersey Shore (the TV show) at the time, I took it as an insult.

Old 12-19-2018, 10:10 AM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times
You can take the girl out of Revere but you cannot take Revere out of the girl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts