Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2018, 10:30 AM

59 posts, read 53,222 times

Advertisements

Hi all, my husband has been offered a job with EMD Serono in Billerica. We currently live in the Midwest but are both from the east coast. When we started looking into the Boston area a few months ago, I thought Westford would be perfect for us. However, my husband would rather live between Billerica and the city. Where are some good family-friendly places to live between Billerica and Boston? We're in our late 30s with a toddler and will hopefully be having another child within the next year. I think our housing budget would be up to about $800k.

Also, random question, does anyone know what EMD Serono/MA covers regarding IVF?

Thanks so much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2018, 10:49 AM

6,125 posts, read 5,095,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amalia2150 View Post
Hi all, my husband has been offered a job with EMD Serono in Billerica. We currently live in the Midwest but are both from the east coast. When we started looking into the Boston area a few months ago, I thought Westford would be perfect for us. However, my husband would rather live between Billerica and the city. Where are some good family-friendly places to live between Billerica and Boston? We're in our late 30s with a toddler and will hopefully be having another child within the next year. I think our housing budget would be up to about $800k.

Also, random question, does anyone know what EMD Serono/MA covers regarding IVF?

Thanks so much!!
I'd start with Burlington. Westford is a great town, but seems too remote to me, if you have any intentions of heading into Boston on the weekends (or even Cambridge/Somerville, for that matter).

Old 12-15-2018, 11:15 AM

Bummer, unless there's not a good representation on the market right now I think Burlington might be outside of our price range for the size home I'm looking for (3-4 bed, 3 bath). As it seems most of the towns between Billerica and Boston are unless I'm missing some.

Old 12-15-2018, 12:15 PM

596 posts, read 818,286 times
Massahusetts requires that insurance companies cover infertility treatments. The state doesn't specify the level at which they have to cover them. A friend of mine on Harvard Pilgrim insurance conceived her kids via IVF and she had a limit on the number of transfers that would be covered (maybe 6-8, I don't remember? she had a few failed transfers and two successful ones).

https://www.fertilityauthority.com/a...ge-infertility

Old 12-16-2018, 07:24 AM

Default Working in Billerica/Burlington - best nearby town for a family?

My husband has been offered a job in Billerica, (EMD Serono, so southern end of Billerica). What are some good towns for families with small children in that area? Our son is 18 months old. I'm really nervous about starting over and meeting other moms with similarly-aged kiddos. We'll be coming from Carmel, Indiana, which is somewhat of a utopian bubble designed to make living in Indiana seem more tolerable, haha.

I think our housing budget will be up to about $800k, and most homes the size I'm looking for (4 bed, 3 bath) seem to be over a million in Bedford, Burlington, Concord. I initially thought Westford would be perfect, but my husband would rather be a little closer to the city in case he ever changes jobs. Just want to make sure I'm not missing anywhere in my search. If he takes the job he'll be starting in February or March - not sure when the housing market starts picking up in the area. Thanks so much!!

Old 12-16-2018, 08:14 AM

12,406 posts, read 9,502,300 times
I think $800K is adequate to buy a family house in this area. It might not look like what $800K will buy you in Indiana, but I think that's what you need to do, is to adjust your expectations about the house while still going for a nice (not elite) town -don't look at the Concords, Lexingtons, and Winchesters. I know it's a difficult adjustment, comparable houses may be 2x the cost in theis area versus IN, but it is what it is. In addition to Burlington, consider Medford, Reading, Waltham, maybe Andover... on the plus side, we have the beaches, excellent medical care and education, and a vibrant technology economy. What we don't have is inexpensive housing (to say the least!) ;-)

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 12-16-2018 at 08:40 AM..

Old 12-16-2018, 09:39 AM

Hi there, are the schools all pretty good in the towns you suggested? We're a ways out from our kiddo being in school and a lot could change in the next 3-4 years, but just curious. I know the schools in Boston area, and probably MA in general, are likely quite a bit better than in Indiana, but I know here the quality largely depends on the town you're in. Thanks so much!!

Old 12-16-2018, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalia2150 View Post
My husband has been offered a job in Billerica, (EMD Serono, so southern end of Billerica). What are some good towns for families with small children in that area? Our son is 18 months old. I'm really nervous about starting over and meeting other moms with similarly-aged kiddos. We'll be coming from Carmel, Indiana, which is somewhat of a utopian bubble designed to make living in Indiana seem more tolerable, haha.

I think our housing budget will be up to about $800k, and most homes the size I'm looking for (4 bed, 3 bath) seem to be over a million in Bedford, Burlington, Concord. I initially thought Westford would be perfect, but my husband would rather be a little closer to the city in case he ever changes jobs. Just want to make sure I'm not missing anywhere in my search. If he takes the job he'll be starting in February or March - not sure when the housing market starts picking up in the area. Thanks so much!!
Wow, welcome to the area. I'm an Indy native, with family still in the Carmel/Westfield area, so I'm very familiar with what you're leaving behind!

I agree with others--$800K should get you a lot of options, but compromises will be necessary. For one thing--the age of the housing stock. You're not going to find equivalents of West Clay, or the beautiful upscale developments along Hazel Dell or 146th St. If schools are the primary consideration, along with a decent-size home & lot, definitely look at Westford and even Chelmsford. Wilmington may be another option--I'm not as familiar with the housing stock there, but get the impression it's somewhat newer, but schools are not in the top tier.

I do agree--most towns in the area will have schools that are very decent by most standards...what does differ is the peer group that your child will be exposed to.

If you're willing to compromise on the distance / access to Boston, and commute is the primary concern, you should be fine with your budget. Good luck!

Old 12-16-2018, 10:24 AM

2,190 posts, read 2,231,987 times
Andover

Old 12-16-2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
Andover
If the OP is discouraged by what she's seeing in Burlington for $800K, she'll be even more discouraged by Andover. Although the town's great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts