Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2018, 06:23 AM

59 posts, read 53,184 times

Advertisements

HI everyone, I've posted a couple other similar threads recently so I apologize if this is redundant- just trying to narrow things down plus learn a little about renting. My husband has accepted a job with EMD Serono and we'll be moving from Carmel, Indiana probably sometime in early March.

We have an 18 month old and no family nearby to watch him so I don't think I'll be able to accompany my husband on the housing search (eek). So, I want feel like I'm able to somewhat confidently point him in the right direction for our family. Our budget is about 700-800k and I would ideally like a 4 bed, 3 bath house (all of our family is out of state so would like to have some room for visitors), which it looks like we could afford in Reading, Westford, Littleton, or Chelmsford and still keep the commute reasonable for my husband. I'm a SAHM and I would love to live in a town that has other families with young children and activities for my son and I that will help us meet people and acclimate to our new community (parks, music class, library story time, etc.). Would also love to be pointed towards any recommended neighborhoods or parts of each town that we should be focusing on because I'm clueless about the area. We have some college friends there, but they live in Newton so not really near where we'll be looking.

We also might need to rent first if our house in IN takes awhile to sell, so I would also love suggestions for good areas to rent in - it looks like there are a lot of nice apt complexes in Burlington, but not a lot of availability.

Thanks so much, this forum has been unbelievably helpful during this decision process!!

Last edited by amalia2150; 12-21-2018 at 07:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2018, 09:01 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Those towns you selected are good choices, as well as Burlington, Bedford, Lexington and Wilmington as nearby towns that have family friendly activities.

EMD Serono is right around the corner from my office building. Great area to work in

Old 12-21-2018, 10:36 AM

3,686 posts, read 7,422,687 times
This thread should be moved to Massachusetts.

I mentioned these towns on your earlier thread and I will mention them again now:

Andover
Bedford
Burlington
Lynnfield
North Reading
Reading
Wilmington

I can't see why you and your 18 month old wouldn't come out to look at housing as well. People travel with small children all the time.

For an interim rental you will want to also consider Danvers, Peabody, North Andover, Stoneham and Woburn, just because they will have more rentals than some of the other towns.

Old 12-21-2018, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
This thread should be moved to Massachusetts.

I mentioned these towns on your earlier thread and I will mention them again now:

Andover
Bedford
Burlington
Lynnfield
North Reading
Reading
Wilmington

I can't see why you and your 18 month old wouldn't come out to look at housing as well. People travel with small children all the time.

For an interim rental you will want to also consider Danvers, Peabody, North Andover, Stoneham and Woburn, just because they will have more rentals than some of the other towns.
Thank you! I realized I should have just tacked this on to my old thread but I couldn't seem to delete or move it after posting. Sorry about that!

And yes we can definitely bring him if we need to, but I figured my husband could get more accomplished without having to work around naps and bedtime.

Old 12-21-2018, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Those towns you selected are good choices, as well as Burlington, Bedford, Lexington and Wilmington as nearby towns that have family friendly activities.

EMD Serono is right around the corner from my office building. Great area to work in
Thanks so much! Looks like we have many great options! A big move is daunting with a toddler but we are excited, and my husband is very enthusiastic about this new opportunity!

Old 12-21-2018, 12:04 PM

8 posts, read 9,787 times
Hi amalia! You've picked great towns and I think you'll love it here! For your new home in that area I would highly recommend looking into Groton, Littleton or Lincoln/Concord. They are picturesque communities with great people and lots of community involvement. There will be lots for you and your little one to do. You might consider talking to a mortgage lender here to see if you couldn't arrange for a bridge loan while your IN house sells. The amount of effort you're going to take moving twice and then trying to get a month to month lease in a nice area might be tricky. You might be better off just going right to the house search. However if you do decide to rent you might check out Watertown, Arlington or Waltham as options. You'd be a little closer to the city, have access to public transport and lots of activities for the little ones. They are an easy commute to Burlington. If you are willing to look a little further north our NH towns of Hollis/Brookline offer exactly the welcoming family-oriented community you seem to be looking for. Best of luck!

Old 12-21-2018, 12:15 PM

Can anyone tell me a little about Wilmington? Good amount of houses for sale in our size/price range, and looks like not too bad a commute for my husband.

Old 12-21-2018, 02:13 PM

9,874 posts, read 7,197,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amalia2150 View Post
Can anyone tell me a little about Wilmington? Good amount of houses for sale in our size/price range, and looks like not too bad a commute for my husband.
It's not a bad town - can still be a bit on the townie side but is now more white collar vs. no/blue collar. I've never pictured it to be a SAHM type of town - more two earner types. Nice common, brand new high school, commuter rail to Boston if you want it. But the traffic is horrendous at rush hour on Rts. 38, 129, and 62. Natural gas is limited as is sewer so get used to having oil and a septic tank.

Old 12-21-2018, 02:17 PM

5,015 posts, read 3,909,909 times
^about what I’d say. It’d be a pretty big change from Cary.

Andover, if you’re going for the 93 belt, will be a much better fit IMO. Far more transient, a lot more self containing, very easy on the eyes.

Old 12-21-2018, 02:24 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,719,577 times
Quote:
We also might need to rent first if our house in IN takes awhile to sell, so I would also love suggestions for good areas to rent in - it looks like there are a lot of nice apt complexes in Burlington, but not a lot of availability.
Did your husband get any kind of relo package? Do they offer any sort of temp housing? What's the real estate market like in your current area -- do you have any sense of how long it might take to sell your house? You will have a MUCH easier time buying a house here if you've already sold your previous house -- sellers in these parts don't like offers with home sale contingencies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts