Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 06:27 AM

4 posts, read 3,467 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, we'll be moving to MA in a couple months from the Richmond, VA area. It's a quick turnaround time, so I'm trying to do a lot of research into the area from afar so I can have our home search narrowed for when we're able to take a house-hunting trip. My husband's job will be near the Pinehurst area of Billerica (near Bedford/Burlington). Which town(s) is/are great for a family but won't mean a terrible commute for my husband? We will have a relocation package, so it will make more sense for us to buy straightaway rather than rent. As of now I think our budget will be 700-800k, but we might be able to stretch that a bit once we hear from the relocation company and can speak with the lender. Hoping for 4 bed, 3 bath.

I would love to hear from people who work in Billerica about where you live, pros and cons, and how the commute is. Pros of our current town include everything we need within a 10-15 minute drive max - hospital, pediatrician, grocery store, some restaurants/shopping, etc., plus lots to do with our toddler (I currently stay home with him, so parks, playgroups, and classes are big for me). We live in a neighborhood with lots of other families with young children. New England charm can't hurt, but not a requirement since we're coming from good ol' suburbia. Thanks so much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2018, 06:33 AM

530 posts, read 358,835 times
If your husband is up for a 20-30 min drive then I would highly suggest Westford, Acton, Littleton, Chelmsford and of course, Burlington itself. There was a recent thread on the same topic:
Best town around Burlington/Billerica for a young family

Old 12-28-2018, 06:34 AM

23,561 posts, read 18,707,417 times
At that price range you should have many options close by. I would look at Burlington, North Reading, Chelmsford to start. Bedford too, although maybe that has gotten too expensive now.

Billerica itself is not the greatest. Wilmington and Tewksbury are so-so.

Old 12-28-2018, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramaka View Post
If your husband is up for a 20-30 min drive then I would highly suggest Westford, Acton, Littleton, Chelmsford and of course, Burlington itself. There was a recent thread on the same topic:
[url]http://www.city-data.com/forum/massachusetts/2997923-best-town-around-burlington-billerica-young.html[/url]
Yes I saw this thread! Definitely gave me a starting point but hoping for a little more info from people who live in some of those areas about the commute/traffic, "mom life," etc. I feel like I've gathered a decent amount of information about Westford but I don't have as clear a picture about some of the other towns (like Littleton, Chelmsford, Burlington, Andover, Acton) besides what I've seen on real estate sites.

Last edited by Jerseygirl081; 12-28-2018 at 07:10 AM..

Old 12-28-2018, 06:53 AM

23,561 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseygirl081 View Post
Yes I saw this thread! Definitely gave me a starting point but hoping for a little more info from people who live in some of those areas about the commute/traffic, etc. I feel like I've gathered a decent amount of information about Westford but I don't have as clear a picture about some of the other towns besides what I've seen on real estate sites.
I wish I could answer better, as I never actually worked (regularly) or lived in any of those towns. I would imagine the EASIEST commute would be from Burlington, as you are traveling outbound on local roads and there is nothing really between there and Pinehurst. Many of the secondary routes in that area of the state are notoriously clogged at rush hour, as everybody is trying to avoid the interstates and all the little suburbs have been overbuilt with zero improvements to roadways and other infrastructure. I can therefore imagine the commute from places like Westford and Acton being a little rough despite their short distances as the crow flies. But maybe somebody who actually does that route would be able to chime in with more accurate info.

Old 12-28-2018, 07:11 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
I work in Billerica/Bedford.

My vote...Reading. It's where we would live but my wife commutes the opposite way up 128 so we wanted to be a little closer to the middle to help both of our commutes. You can make it to Billerica in about 1/2hour or so either going 95 to rt 3, or taking back roads like Rt62 and 129 (which are better options when it snows). Plenty of stores and support businesses around, plus you have access to I93 and I95 within minutes.

Plenty of playgrounds/parks/children activities in that town plus surrounding communities. Very quaint town with some great personality. Homes are of older stock, but generally in good condition.

Old 12-28-2018, 08:09 AM

2,190 posts, read 2,232,941 times
Billerica doesn't have top rated schools or a pretty town center. But I wouldn't call it a bad town. It's a run of the mill middle class town. I don't get why people are steering you away from it. I'm sure the schools are fine, it's just that the demographics aren't as favourable as places like Andover, Westford, Acton, etc.

Anyway Burlington is the best bet if you want to be close to shopping and hospitals.

As for traffic, route 3 south gets backed up in the morning and north and the afternoon. On 128 (95) traffic isin't too awful in the morning, but gets very backed up going north towards Reading/Lynnfield in the afternoon.

Old 12-28-2018, 09:46 AM

3,689 posts, read 7,429,804 times
Browse thes recent threads from another forum member who is also relocating for a job in Billerica...

Where to live between Billerica and Boston?

Best town around Burlington/Billerica for a young family

I live in Lynnfield and worked in Billerica for 4 years. Not a bad commute.

Old 12-28-2018, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
Browse thes recent threads from another forum member who is also relocating for a job in Billerica...

[url]http://www.city-data.com/forum/massachusetts/2995875-where-live-between-billerica-boston.html[/url]

[url]http://www.city-data.com/forum/massachusetts/2997923-best-town-around-burlington-billerica-young.html[/url]

I live in Lynnfield and worked in Billerica for 4 years. Not a bad commute.
Yes I read through those threads, thanks! She and I have connected over DM, and she passed along some great info a member gave her on Westford and Andover. Now just to look a little more closely into Reading, Burlington, and Acton. Concord and Carlisle look really nice too if we end up able to expand our budget. Honestly I'm sure we really can't go wrong, I'm just overwhelmed by the choices and my lack of knowledge about traffic/commute.

Old 12-28-2018, 11:10 AM

2,190 posts, read 2,232,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseygirl081 View Post
Yes I read through those threads, thanks! She and I have connected over DM, and she passed along some great info a member gave her on Westford and Andover. Now just to look a little more closely into Reading, Burlington, and Acton. Concord and Carlisle look really nice too if we end up able to expand our budget. Honestly I'm sure we really can't go wrong, I'm just overwhelmed by the choices and my lack of knowledge about traffic/commute.
One very helpful tool in google maps is to map out a route based on estimated traffic. Something like this (commute time seems on the long side from experience but it gives you a general idea).

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Lahe...967400!3e0!5i1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts