Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 09:30 AM

23,087 posts, read 18,228,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
His slashing TANF, public health nurses and other public health programs, by hurting people already with high food insecurity with this cutting food aid... on and on and on. Maine was already bad with its high food insecurity rates, and he caused it to go even higher.

That freaking loser of a Governor (who, had very very low favorability ratings, unlike Baker) couldn't expand or improve the economy, he instead improved the books by hurting people. Classic conservative politician.

You know this crud. You just celebrate them because they screw people. Watch out for those ziki flies!

Uh, I actually live here. The economy HAS expanded. I live in a rural area, fairly high poverty rate. However, for some time now anybody who wants work can find it. Stuff like the new work requirements for SNAP has been a good thing and actually bettered many lives. Maine for decades was a magnet for lazy layabouts looking to exploit the system. They are still showing up unfortunately, but thankfully the tide is turning (can sometimes be hard to shed those reputations). I see all kinds of productive people moving in and embracing the area for what it is, and actually contributing to better the place. Long term residents have taken notice of this as well, and acknowledge that this has not been seen at that level for a several decades now.

LePage's approval rating wasn't great, but it is far from the worst. It was far above that loser in Connecticut, for example. Most of his dislike comes from his abrasive personality, not due to his policy or lack of leadership.

So, how is Baker's pervert son doing? Did he have his day in court yet? Any scheduled? Hmm...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2019, 09:40 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,724,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Uh, I actually live here. The economy HAS expanded.

Lowest GDP per capita in New England. Lowest weekly wage rate per person in New England and bottom ten in the U.S.. Bottom half of the states in growth over the last couple of years. Often in the bottom ten states in growth per quarter. High food insecurity. High poverty.

Quote:
Maine for decades was a magnet for lazy layabouts looking to exploit the system.

I'd love to see the data supporting net migration fueled by public assistance benefits.

Old 01-07-2019, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Lowest GDP per capita in New England. Lowest weekly wage rate per person in New England and bottom ten in the U.S.. Bottom half of the states in growth over the last couple of years. Often in the bottom ten states in growth per quarter. High food insecurity. High poverty.
It's a rural, traditionally resource based economy. Nevertheless, it's beating RI on many of those measures. Imagine that...

Quote:
I'd love to see the data supporting net migration fueled by public assistance benefits.
It's impossible to obtain data on such, you know that (I hope anyway). It can however be backed up by a million anecdotes, often which are documented. I've even heard them myself. Contrast that with New Hampshire, I don't think I have EVER heard of somebody moving there to "get resources", "start over", "a second chance", "the state provides more", or any of the many other disgusting things I've heard countless times in ME.

Old 01-07-2019, 10:05 AM

Quote:
It's a rural, traditionally resource based economy. Nevertheless, it's beating RI on many of those measures. Imagine that....

Not on many! But thankfully RI, like NH, has MA to benefit it. Maine doesn't have that strong benefit of being immediately adjacent to the incredible MA economy.

Quote:
It's impossible to obtain data on such, you know that (I hope anyway). It can however be backed up by a million anecdotes, often which are documented. I've even heard them myself. Contrast that with New Hampshire, I don't think I have EVER heard of somebody moving there to "get resources", "start over", "a second chance", "the state provides more", or any of the many other disgusting things I've heard countless times in ME.

Where are these millions of anecdotes documented? People "hear" lots of things. Doesn't make them true.

These people that are so far in poverty, hungry, sick, sure are resourceful that they picked up and moved to Maine for those "generous" benefits that are so much better from where they came from, and then, these millions have their stories taken and documented! Pretty amazing. Inspiring, in fact.

Old 01-07-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Not on many!
Well on growth and poverty (not even adjusted for COL), for two.

Quote:
But thankfully RI, like NH, has MA to benefit it. Maine doesn't have that strong benefit of being immediately adjacent to the incredible MA economy.

Case in point. Maine political leaders are dealt with a worse hand to begin with.

Quote:
Where are these millions of anecdotes documented? People "hear" lots of things. Doesn't make them true.

These people that are so far in poverty, hungry, sick, sure are resourceful that they picked up and moved to Maine for those "generous" benefits that are so much better from where they came from, and then, these millions have their stories taken and documented! Pretty amazing. Inspiring, in fact.[/

There was a news story a few years ago, where they were interviewing people and their reasons for coming to Maine. People from places like Tennessee, saying stuff like how Maine has more "programs" and such available for poor people.

I've also heard it myself. A few months ago, in town I ran into a young (perfectly healthy looking) couple from Florida with their loaded car. They were talking about how they were here looking to "restart their life" and about how they were discouraged and that no one told them how "rural" the area was and such. I asked if I could be of any help and if there was anything in particular they were looking for. They said they were looking for "resources" and to eventually find work, etc. I asked them what they have done for work. The girl said she was a nurse aid or something like that, as well as home care. I then proceeded to tell them about the local nursing home desperate for help, and that they would probably hire her on the spot....the guy told me that he does "a little bit of everything", and I went on all about how busy even the mediocre local contractors were, how they couldn't get the help they needed, and how there wasn't a single minimally mechanically inclined person not working who wanted to. They then gave each other an unimpressed look, and said "well that sounds good but before that we need "resources""...??? I told them Portland was their best bet, and to find 95 "SOUTH" (and hoped to God they wouldn't turn back around). You can't make stuff like that up.

Old 01-07-2019, 10:41 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,102,154 times
Quote:
Uh, I actually live here. The economy HAS expanded.
Sure, but by a meager 1.4%. Maine's 2017 GDP was below the U.S. growth rate of 2.1%. This year is pretty dismal as well - as of late summer, it sitting 46th in GDP expansion.

Governors can only pull so many strings and population/business trends are working against Maine, but let's not overstate the truth by painting LePage as economic boon for Maine.

Old 01-07-2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:
I've also heard it myself. A few months ago, in town I ran into a young (perfectly healthy looking) couple from Florida with their loaded car. They were talking about how they were here looking to "restart their life" and about how they were discouraged and that no one told them how "rural" the area was and such. I asked if I could be of any help and if there was anything in particular they were looking for. They said they were looking for "resources" and to eventually find work, etc. I asked them what they have done for work. The girl said she was a nurse aid or something like that, as well as home care. I then proceeded to tell them about the local nursing home desperate for help, and that they would probably hire her on the spot....the guy told me that he does "a little bit of everything", and I went on all about how busy even the mediocre local contractors were, how they couldn't get the help they needed, and how there wasn't a single minimally mechanically inclined person not working who wanted to. They then gave each other an unimpressed look, and said "well that sounds good but before that we need "resources""...??? I told them Portland was their best bet, and to find 95 "SOUTH" (and hoped to God they wouldn't turn back around). You can't make stuff like that up.

Ah, so millions means one couple that left Florida (very understandable) and were looking for some food/shelter to help bridge the gap while they found employment. Got it.

Too bad being a nursing aid though with how LePage really stuck it to the health care system there.

I would have recommended Portland too. Great city. Really the only very liveable place in Maine, except for perhaps Kittery. And of course, nothing in your story indicated they came there for better benefits at all. It would be very weird to drive all that way in the promise of a better system. Odd indeed.

Old 01-07-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
Sure, but by a meager 1.4%. Maine's 2017 GDP was below the U.S. growth rate of 2.1%. This year is pretty dismal as well - as of late summer, it sitting 46th in GDP expansion.

Governors can only pull so many strings and population/business trends are working against Maine, but let's not overstate the truth by painting LePage as economic boon for Maine.
Once again this ignores the fact that ME is a poor, aging, rural state with slow population growth. It has a lot going against it to begin with. Comparing it with other NE states like VT, RI and CT; it doesn't look so bad. Main point is that looking at the past 8 years, ME seems to be headed in the right direction (although quite slowly for sure), while many of its peers are not dealing with their issues quite as well. That can certainly be partially credited to LePage's reforms.

Old 01-07-2019, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Ah, so millions means one couple that left Florida (very understandable) and were looking for some food/shelter to help bridge the gap while they found employment. Got it.

One story of countless others, my man.

If they were so ambitious, are you really going to tell me they couldn't find those jobs in FL? Have some resentment towards FL? Go to friggin Georgia! Or North Carolina...or Pennsylvania...why drive 1500 miles up to the north pole??? Unless you are, well nvm...

Quote:
Too bad being a nursing aid though with how LePage really stuck it to the health care system there.

They are hiring like crazy. EVERYWHERE. Sure, pay stinks (again, as it does in EVERY state) and you couldn't pay me enough to do it, but...

Quote:
I would have recommended Portland too. Great city. Really the only very liveable place in Maine, except for perhaps Kittery.
Meh, most of the state is pretty livable save for some cruddy towns like Lewiston and a few remote/forgotten former logging areas and such. Depends on what you are looking for though.

Old 01-07-2019, 11:05 AM

Quote:
One story of countless others, my man.
h.

Of people moving to different states to re-start their lives and do something different?

Of course. I did it myself a couple of times. Moved to Wisconsin from Mass at 22. Did it a few others as well. I'm glad to hear she won't have trouble finding employment. Hopefully they will find the resources they need until the meager paychecks start coming in.

No idea what that has to do with public assistance though. We used to hear crud like this in Wisconsin. That "Chicago gang bangers were moving to Madison (or Milwaukee, or...) for the better welfare." It was a "story" oft repeated. When actually examined at a public policy level, it largely turned out to be bunk. It was really just racist drivel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts