Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 12:26 PM

23,561 posts, read 18,707,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Good Stats. FWIW the schools in all these towns are significantly more diverse than the total population. That's very important to note when thinking about her kids learning environment. Less important for her own social circles. But honestly, an adult can live in Canton and befriend people in Milton or Stoughton which are both about 15% black. Commute is tough for sure but i think itd be just over an hour and it has the subdivisions you're looking for.

For example, Canton Public Schools are 69% and 10% black, 11% Asian, 5% Hispanic

Enrollment Data (2017-18) - Lt Peter M Hansen (00500012)

Framingham schools are 56% white 7% black and 27% Hispanic.

Interesting to note most towns schools are 10-15% less white than the town themselves unless its a town undergoing rapid demographic change (Everett), is very urban (Quincy/Waltham-majority minority districts), or is in decline (Haverhill) then the gap can be as big as 20-25%.

Massachusetts as of 2017/18 was about 72% white but the public schools were 60% white. Probably also do to more white children being in Private Schools.

I looked up test Data and Medford is as average an MA district as possible (slightly blacker 13.5% versus 9%) demographically and academically. Per the State its peer Level 2 school Districts are Weymouth Woburn Cambridge, Peadbody, Marlborough, Waltham, Methuen, Agawam, Attleboro and Westfield.
Thanks for posting that as well. Yes I thought of that, but wasn't sure where to obtain that data specifically on the schools. I figured especially Medford and Framingham would be more diverse in the schools, than the communities at large (high private school usage among the whites). Was less sure about Canton, didn't realize it had gotten that diverse. Was lily white when I was growing up (in comparison to Milton, Randolph, Stoughton).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2019, 12:36 PM

113 posts, read 104,231 times
The schools are irrelevant. Someone who can afford a 1.3M house is going to have a kid who does well unless they send their kid to a school filled with gang members and violence. More importantly, it's better to find a nice place to live.

Old 02-01-2019, 01:00 PM

4,627 posts, read 4,894,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Interesting to note most towns schools are 10-15% less white than the town themselves unless its a town undergoing rapid demographic change (Everett), is very urban (Quincy/Waltham-majority minority districts), or is in decline (Haverhill) then the gap can be as big as 20-25%.
For an extreme, which does no good for the OP, you've got Worcester. The town is 70% white, 12% black, 6% asian. 21% hispanic (of any race)[13% explicitly from PR]. The schools are 43% hispanic, 30% white, 16% black, 7% asian. My daughter goes to a magnet school, she's one of the 13% white kids - 77% of her school is hispanic, 3% black, 4% asian.

But I guess you've got that covered in the "very urban" .

OP: DO NOT LOOK AT WORCESTER OR ANYWHERE WEST OF 495! Some diverse towns, but the commute to Burlington is killer.

Old 02-01-2019, 01:25 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,918,842 times
Has anyone looked at Waltham demographics? I’d assume the relative diversity is driven predominantly by its large Hispanic population, but I don’t know. North/Northeast sections of town are exceedingly nicer than the rest. And at $1.3, you can afford a new build.. Huge “growth” area, and the schools keep getting better and better. Downtown is nice(ish)- Great little food scene.

Regardless of the AA community, that might be a great fit based on commute and city proximity.

Old 02-01-2019, 03:01 PM

21,631 posts, read 12,766,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
For an extreme, which does no good for the OP, you've got Worcester. The town is 70% white, 12% black, 6% asian. 21% hispanic (of any race)[13% explicitly from PR]. The schools are 43% hispanic, 30% white, 16% black, 7% asian. My daughter goes to a magnet school, she's one of the 13% white kids - 77% of her school is hispanic, 3% black, 4% asian.

But I guess you've got that covered in the "very urban" .

OP: DO NOT LOOK AT WORCESTER OR ANYWHERE WEST OF 495! Some diverse towns, but the commute to Burlington is killer.
Worcester is 56% NON-HISPANIC WHITE..and dropping. You gotta look at the non-Hispanic numbers. Worcester was 70% non-Hispanic white in 2000. Boston is still 53% White including Hispanics but only 44% non-Hispanic white. Everyone (Census/Statisticians) uses non-Hispanic white ESPECIALLY on the east coast where there are very few Mexicans who can claim 'white' easier than most Puerto Ricans.

Old 02-01-2019, 03:07 PM

21,631 posts, read 12,766,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Has anyone looked at Waltham demographics? I’d assume the relative diversity is driven predominantly by its large Hispanic population, but I don’t know. North/Northeast sections of town are exceedingly nicer than the rest. And at $1.3, you can afford a new build.. Huge “growth” area, and the schools keep getting better and better. Downtown is nice(ish)- Great little food scene.

Regardless of the AA community, that might be a great fit based on commute and city proximity.
Waltham is somewhere around 65% white but the schools are 40% Hispanic and 42% white. 10% black and the rest (8%) is Asian and mixed

Enrollment Data (2017-18) - Waltham (03080000)

These stats are from last year. Since 2004 MA Public schools decline about 1 white percentage point per year. Schools were 75% white in 2004. As opposed to 60% last year. Certain districts like Everett, Revere, Randolph, Marlborough have lost 30-40% white percentage points in that time

Enrollment Data (2003-04) - Everett (00930000)

Everett Schools were 69% white in 2004. They are 24% white as of last year.

Old 02-01-2019, 05:45 PM

42 posts, read 39,789 times
OP - Have you checked out Arlington? Great commute to Burlington, great schools, walkable, sidewalks, bike path, public transportation. Depending where you live, you can get the quiet of suburbs but very close to restaurants, movie theater in town etc. Re diversity - my kids classes have had at at least 3-8 kids each year that speak other languages, and anecdotally have 4 biracial families in close proximity in my neighborhood (if you look at the stats that's not reflected/mostly white). My neighborhood is mostly people who have moved from Somerville/Cambridge/Boston who wanted better schools and a bit more space but with urban amenities. Again, Burlington is very close too. Good luck with your search.

Old 02-08-2019, 05:20 AM

7 posts, read 6,225 times
Hello I am doing the same way than you. Next week, I ll visit Lexington, Winchester and Concord. My concern is a high school for my son and an elementary school for my daughter. You don' t have to worried about diversity but more by public school. And yes I know houses are crazy really crazy expensive same than taxes.

Old 02-13-2019, 09:58 AM

42 posts, read 39,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move19 View Post
Hello I am doing the same way than you. Next week, I ll visit Lexington, Winchester and Concord. My concern is a high school for my son and an elementary school for my daughter. You don' t have to worried about diversity but more by public school. And yes I know houses are crazy really crazy expensive same than taxes.
I would definitely try to take tours of the schools to get a feel for them. You can find out school rankings on great schools and other sites, and a lot of folks on this forum seem to care about test scores (esp. when broken out by socioeconomics). I'd recommend going into the schools, talking with parents, find out what services/programs are offered etc. and really get a feel for the school/community.

Good luck!

Old 02-15-2019, 09:23 AM

19 posts, read 26,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move19 View Post

How was your visit to Lexington, Winchester, and Concord? My husband mentioned checking out Concord (trying to get closer to his job in Burlington).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts