Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 04:09 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,230,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick21 View Post
When will local/city/state and federal stop with funding Pension Liabilities through Tax Increases and Rate Increases?!

Pensions aren’t market, literally no private companies offer Pensions anymore....

Because people are living longer and longer.

Smh ��*♂️
Actually the Massachusetts state pension is fairly sparse, even compared to the private sector. It requires over 10 years of service to get any employer contribution. And it requires a 9-12% of salary contribution (depending on salary). The private sector jobs that have 401k match offer a better retirement system for many employees.

The Mass pension system is one of the lower cost ones compared to the pensions other states.

Lots of people complaining about the pension system have never worked a state job. Though there are certain state jobs that have a salary a good bit above private sector salaries (think mbta/police). There are others that are underpaid. But the pensions aren't excessive at all, the opposite in fact.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/ma...ngy-2018-08-20

Last edited by tysmith95; 01-29-2019 at 04:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2019, 04:16 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Of course it's not "fair" in a sense, but democracy is democracy. You can't deny a voice to somebody based on their projected time here on earth. But to balance out those advantages of theirs you describe, there are more of US than there are of THEM. It's too bad we don't use that to our advantage as we should be.
I'll spare you my opinion on "democracy."

Old 01-29-2019, 04:21 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Ugh. Part of the problem is that that it's largely the most uninformed, fear-mongering segment of the population that turns out in force to be vocal. Yes there are advocates (and bless their little hearts for putting up with all of that), but most people in the town, including those who would support such a project even without being vocal advocates, don't show.

Again, the Minuteman Commuter Bikeway is the best example of a bike path that's also extremely functional. 10 miles from Bedford to Alewife. It's extremely well utilized by commuters. It connects to the Somerville Community Path via the Cambrige Linear park, both of which are also excellent urban bikeways. If any of the opponents saw these in use, they wouldn't be concerned about "bringing trouble from the city." I'd wager there's far more "trouble" on old rail lines than there is on active bikeways.

I don't recall how much opposition there was to that, but there was quite a bit to the Alewife to Brighton Street, and neighborhood opposition shut down the Belmont Center to Alewife extension. Idiotic.

Old 01-29-2019, 05:30 PM

10,007 posts, read 15,647,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp775 View Post
??

7:00 at Town Hall is typical in my experience, unless a project specifically affects a particular neighborhood, in which case it's at a school or other public facility closer to the affected residents.
Yes, ours at at 7 at the High School.

Old 01-29-2019, 07:07 PM

50 posts, read 55,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
Actually the Massachusetts state pension is fairly sparse, even compared to the private sector. It requires over 10 years of service to get any employer contribution. And it requires a 9-12% of salary contribution (depending on salary). The private sector jobs that have 401k match offer a better retirement system for many employees.

The Mass pension system is one of the lower cost ones compared to the pensions other states.

Lots of people complaining about the pension system have never worked a state job. Though there are certain state jobs that have a salary a good bit above private sector salaries (think mbta/police). There are others that are underpaid. But the pensions aren't excessive at all, the opposite in fact.

MBTA paid $203,434,000 in Pension money out to “retired” employees in FY’18, that is more than 25% of collected Reveneus for transportation. That number is up from $135,479,000 in FY’16. That is a $65,000,000 jump in 2 years....

Read the financials:

https://cdn.mbta.com/sites/default/f...financials.pdf

Educate yourself first then reply, makes conversations more fun that way.

Last edited by Maverick21; 01-29-2019 at 07:26 PM..

Old 01-29-2019, 07:32 PM

23,568 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I'll spare you my opinion on "democracy."
I'm scared to even ask.

Old 01-30-2019, 05:17 AM

3,207 posts, read 2,114,518 times
Quote:

From Needham to Boston via HP? Which rail bed is this???

https://dedham.wickedlocal.com/news/...ham-rail-trail
Thats for the Dedham portion. it continues into Needham
Here are some highlights from opposition :

1. It will not take long for the bridges to get tagged and become a haven for the “unsavory activity”?

2. Looking at the back of commercial buildings and into peoples’ homes is scenic? The abutters will be living in fish bowls.

5. Parking on small side roads and going through abutters’ property, to access the trail, is unacceptable.

Just an example of why these people don't deserve nice things

Old 01-30-2019, 05:18 AM

2,190 posts, read 2,230,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick21 View Post
MBTA paid $203,434,000 in Pension money out to “retired” employees in FY’18, that is more than 25% of collected Reveneus for transportation. That number is up from $135,479,000 in FY’16. That is a $65,000,000 jump in 2 years....

Read the financials:

https://cdn.mbta.com/sites/default/f...financials.pdf

Educate yourself first then reply, makes conversations more fun that way.
I stand corrected. It seems that mbta pensions are more lucrative than other state entities.

Likely similar to employers that provide 6% 401k match and their part of the social security. The state does not fund social security with payroll taxes like private employers do.

Old 01-30-2019, 05:51 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post

Yup. Exactly. And MA contributes less to it than they would if they were paying into Social Security for their employees. The system actually saves money for taxpayers. (I don't know anything about the MBTA system though)

Last edited by timberline742; 01-30-2019 at 06:28 AM..

Old 01-30-2019, 06:16 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
I suspect that if most saw the East Bay path in RI, they would change their minds.

I've ridden that a bunch o' times from Bristol to Barrington/Haynes Park at the East Providence line. I don't ever recall seeing hardened criminals, unless you're threatened by baby carriages and little kids on bicycles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts