Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 07:57 AM

24,555 posts, read 18,230,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Of COURSE not. Don't be silly.

So all the subsidized things you receive are fine but you don't use public transportation so how dare that be subsidized?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2019, 08:02 AM

23,560 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
So you went to private school? If you have children, they went to private schools? You own your own fire truck? You have your own security guard? You have a pickup with a plow and plow your own street? Are you independently wealthy where Social Security where you likely get back far more than you ever pay in doesn't matter? Or Medicare with the same math? Most likely, high income people are subsidizing you.
I understand what you are trying to say, but most of us middle to upper-middle income taxpayers still do not realize the benefits of what we put in on a state level. Not enough of it goes to general education, transportation infrastructure and public safety. The transportation system is super inefficient. The safety net is bloated. Massachusetts spends $1.9b a year on the illegal population (not even counting local city/town costs). Those of us who graduated more that 15 years ago, were educated far more cheaply than those today. Sure, the top earners subsidize at an even higher rate. But especially in Mass. with its (fairly high) flat tax rate and considerably high local property taxes, those in the middle certainly do not owe anything more.

Old 02-04-2019, 08:06 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
So all the subsidized things you receive are fine but you don't use public transportation so how dare that be subsidized?
Looks to me like 70-80% of the cost IS subsidized.

And I do use public transportation. I think it's a fine idea to use considerable sums of taxpayer money on it, WHICH IS CURRENTLY BEING DONE. I also think toll roads are a fine idea.

But it's OK, you seem bound and determined to misunderstand what I am saying, so just go on ahead then. Let's make EVERYTHING "free" and get it all from taxes. What could possibly go wrong?

(Do you think that General Secretary Gorbachev, or Interim President Guaido, or Mrs. Thatcher, might have any insight?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts