Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 10:08 PM

1 posts, read 5,388 times

Advertisements

Please read the background below (only a couple paragraphs) - and then help me find a new town to live in

About 3 years ago my wife and I moved to Acton from the Bay Area (California). We are both from here originally and moved out there after college (we thought we knew what we were getting into coming back). We got very accustomed to the friendly, out-going, and outdoorsy people of CA. We quickly became OUTSIDE people ourselves. We also got very used to the conveniences available even in the suburbs. We spent tons of time on walks and at parks.

Now that we live here (even after 3 years) we still go on walks a lot and head to the park with our two kids (2 yrs and 4 yrs) every chance we get. What is absolutely irking us is that nobody else in Acton does the same. It gets lonely out here. We've now started going to parks in West Concord and Lexington to feel like we're not the last family on the planet.

On top of that, we moved to Acton because many people told us how convenient it was (in addition to the stellar schools). People said that everything is within 30 minutes. They were absolutely right...there's only one problem. Everything seems to be exaclty 30 minutes from Acton. What is with this town? I don't think there are towns in the backwoods of Maine that are farther from a Home Depot or Target than Acton.

*** THE CHALLENGE ***

I want to find a new town to live in. The requirements:
1. Down to earth, outdoorsy, and happy people
2. I'd like to be somewhere in the Acton vacinity (it is central to almost any job I'd get in the area - I currently work in Marlboro...but would like the option to work in Cambridge/Waltham in the future).
3. House budget $1M (only hard rqmts are 4Bd and 2 car garage)
4. Good schools (this is a must)
5. Needs easy access to a normal Supermarket (I spend more $ at Donnelans in Acton than I do on my property taxes). Additionally, it would be nice to be somewhere near a higher end supermarket for meats/cheeses and stuff.
6. Needs east access to a Home Depot or Lowes (impossible to do any home projects when it takes half a day to pick up supplies)
7. Needs to have stuff to do in the town for families (parks, pools, libraries)

We are currently looking at Lexington and Concord (including West Concord). I was pretty jazzed about Lexington until I read all of the posts on this site bashing Lexington. I'd appreciate any comments anyone has on Lex or other towns. Is Lex really overrated (downtown not useful, houses too expensive, kids doing drugs, etc.)? Doesn't seem it to me but I don't live there. We also looked at Sudbury but that seems even more backwoods than Acton.

Any comments from Bay Area transplants that have found happiness here would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 12:44 AM

4,427 posts, read 5,152,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missincali View Post
Please read the background below (only a couple paragraphs) - and then help me find a new town to live in

About 3 years ago my wife and I moved to Acton from the Bay Area (California). We are both from here originally and moved out there after college (we thought we knew what we were getting into coming back). We got very accustomed to the friendly, out-going, and outdoorsy people of CA. We quickly became OUTSIDE people ourselves. We also got very used to the conveniences available even in the suburbs. We spent tons of time on walks and at parks.

Now that we live here (even after 3 years) we still go on walks a lot and head to the park with our two kids (2 yrs and 4 yrs) every chance we get. What is absolutely irking us is that nobody else in Acton does the same. It gets lonely out here. We've now started going to parks in West Concord and Lexington to feel like we're not the last family on the planet.

On top of that, we moved to Acton because many people told us how convenient it was (in addition to the stellar schools). People said that everything is within 30 minutes. They were absolutely right...there's only one problem. Everything seems to be exaclty 30 minutes from Acton. What is with this town? I don't think there are towns in the backwoods of Maine that are farther from a Home Depot or Target than Acton.

*** THE CHALLENGE ***

I want to find a new town to live in. The requirements:
1. Down to earth, outdoorsy, and happy people
2. I'd like to be somewhere in the Acton vacinity (it is central to almost any job I'd get in the area - I currently work in Marlboro...but would like the option to work in Cambridge/Waltham in the future).
3. House budget $1M (only hard rqmts are 4Bd and 2 car garage)
4. Good schools (this is a must)
5. Needs easy access to a normal Supermarket (I spend more $ at Donnelans in Acton than I do on my property taxes). Additionally, it would be nice to be somewhere near a higher end supermarket for meats/cheeses and stuff.
6. Needs east access to a Home Depot or Lowes (impossible to do any home projects when it takes half a day to pick up supplies)
7. Needs to have stuff to do in the town for families (parks, pools, libraries)

We are currently looking at Lexington and Concord (including West Concord). I was pretty jazzed about Lexington until I read all of the posts on this site bashing Lexington. I'd appreciate any comments anyone has on Lex or other towns. Is Lex really overrated (downtown not useful, houses too expensive, kids doing drugs, etc.)? Doesn't seem it to me but I don't live there. We also looked at Sudbury but that seems even more backwoods than Acton.

Any comments from Bay Area transplants that have found happiness here would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide

Try Wayland.

So Bay Area people are happy? I don't know about that. I've lived in so many places including the Bay Area and it was the most unhappy place I have ever lived. Seattle seemed to fit the happiness bill much more, to me anyways. Good Luck.....

Old 04-09-2008, 06:18 AM

967 posts, read 4,785,828 times
In general I found people in the Bay Area much more outdoorsy than here. I live in Sherborn now, which has tons of outdoor trails and have been surprised that they aren't used more. In California you'd never head out to a trail in the morning and find yourself practically alone, at least where we lived. I'm not quite sure the best town to recommend but thought I'd share that point. I agree about Sudbury, if you're bored in Acton it's probably not the best bet. It's a lovely town, but maybe be a little sleepy for you (although it offers decent shopping in town & nearby in Natick for Home Depot + excellent schools plus a very nice pool).

Have you considered joining the Appalachian Mountain Club or Mass Sierra Club to meet other outdoorsy people? They offer plenty of organized hikes and events for adults & for families.

Old 04-09-2008, 06:50 AM

212 posts, read 948,362 times
Default Lexington

Lexington is a wonderful town to live in to raise a family, and to stay after the kids are grown. There is a great school system with many opportunities for them. There is a particularly talented music department and high-level math and science. It is very competitive academically. I know many young people and only one who got into drugs, but I think most towns these days have drinking/drug problems (much more so than Lexington!). If you're a good parent who stays in touch with your kids, I don't see why this would be a problem. With teenagers, it's open and honest communication that keeps them drug-free, plus always knowing who your kids are hanging out with.

Houses can be overpriced, but there is softening in prices lately. I don't see that Lexington is much different than other towns in this respect. Downtown Lexington is nice, but it could be much better. Too many banks and r.e. offices. The rents are high, so small shops can't afford to open. Home Depot is just a few miles away in Waltham and the Burlington Mall is close, too.

We're lucky to have a Trader Joe's nearby in addition to the Stop and Shop. Plus, Wilson's is the best for fresh produce, cheese, flowers, bakery, garden shop, etc. DeMoulas is close and much cheaper than S&S.

Lexington has lots to do. Every week, the Minuteman Calendar section is filled with events and activities. Many clubs to join, walks to take, films to see, lectures to attend, concerts to hear, churches to join, etc. The bike path is a wonderful resource once the snow melts.

Lexington has access to both 128 and 2, so the location is convenient if you commute in all directions. There is easy access to the "T" and there is a town bus service as the kids get older they can be a little independent.

Old 04-09-2008, 02:20 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,385,615 times
Even at your unlimited high price point, I don't think I can think of a place that would suit you. You want something quite urbane and outdoorsy- they don't tend to go together. For urbane and family, I'd think Newton, but for outdoorsy, it's too urban, I'd guess.
Certainly people are less outdoorsy in general in this area, due to the weather. (For me, the summers are too humid!) Most people find the winters to be an indoor time, not year-round outside like the Bay area.
I honestly can't think of a place that combines what you want, even with your significant price tag. Maybe other family people would know more. Good luck.

Old 04-09-2008, 07:03 PM

2,135 posts, read 7,656,638 times
I can see why Acton would bore you to death. Pretty area but a bit rural for my tastes! My husband used to work in Boxborough. What a challenge to find something for lunch without having to travel all over creation!

OK, I'll play:

- Lexington (Why not, did I miss something?)

- Andover

- Arlington

Old 04-09-2008, 07:27 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,004 times
What about Winchester? It's got great schools, a nice town center, and it's right next to the Fells, which are a great area for someone who likes the outdoors. There's a great target just up 93 in Reading (or maybe it's in Woburn, it's right near the border between the two). I can't speak to how snobby people from Winchester are ( although looking at comments on Woburn on this board I can guess they're at least a little snobby, but what do I know ;-) )

Just something to consider.

Old 04-09-2008, 08:30 PM

1,810 posts, read 10,486,707 times
My impression of Bay area is that the lot size is much smaller for the same size house. Hence, the density is much higher. The house lot around here is much bigger... this way one feels they can get away from neighbor.

To get the same Bay area feel, Lexington, Newton and part of Arlington and Cambridge are some choices. The first 2-3 towns would most likely fit all your criteria. Key is move towards the Rt95 loop.

Old 04-10-2008, 06:18 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,837,616 times
I think Concord and Lincoln are both sites of lots of outdoor walking. Lincoln has its famous trail system through woods and farms; Concord has Walden and adjacent public lands, the Great Meadows refuge, the Minuteman site, and the Esterbrook Woods.

Old 04-10-2008, 12:17 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,303,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
I can't speak to how snobby people from Winchester are ( although looking at comments on Woburn on this board I can guess they're at least a little snobby, but what do I know ;-) )
I second Winchester.

The Woburn thing is not snobbiness. Winchester and Woburn have been rivals since the dawn of time since Winchester was part of Woburn before seceding in 1850. They play each other in high school football on Thanksgiving and it's just an old sport in Winchester to make fun of Woburn. And vice-versa. For me at least it's 85% joking though there are some socioeconomic differences that affect the tone of the jibes from each respective camp. "you're backwater" vs. "you're snobs"

There are places near Winchester that are worse than Woburn but Winchester people only knock Woburn. It's like UNH and U-Maine hockey fans or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts