Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 11:18 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,102,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemka View Post
I don't have a strong opinion about Warren one way or the other, but I've never gotten the impression that she "talks down to us."
That's because no AM radio talk host has told you that Warren "talks down to you".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2019, 11:31 AM

3,146 posts, read 2,069,188 times
Quote:
. He's managed to convince millions that news and facts should not be trusted
Thats actually one of the few things I agree with him on. It's 100% accurate and 100% scary

Old 02-14-2019, 12:08 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,728,963 times
Quote:
The guy who complains all day every day about how he's being treated unfairly by everyone doesn't have a victim mentality? That's his entire schtick. He's managed to convince millions that news and facts should not be trusted because it's all so unfair to him.

I'd argue that if you took away his Republican jersey, he wouldn't appeal to too many "common persons." He hires illegals, he doesn't pay his contractors, and he crowdsurfs through life on an ocean of lawyers. He's an ignorant, factless conspiracy theorist who used his twitter megaphone to shout about how bad our politicians and government are without having any actual knowledge of what he was talking about. He's the drunkard on the next bar stool who starts off every other sentence with "And another thing..."

Just about everyone hates politicians and much if not all of how our government works, so his "brand" is a very easy sell. Doesn't make him a leader. Money doesn't make him a leader either. It makes him a boss. Big difference.

I don't have a strong opinion about Warren one way or the other, but I've never gotten the impression that she "talks down to us."

Old 02-14-2019, 12:15 PM

17,150 posts, read 8,794,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassy Fae View Post
Does being in touch with the common person matter? Trump got elected. He couldn't be farther from a commoner.
He eats McDonald's, KFC, and Wendy's on a regular basis. He's a reality TV star. He gives people funny nicknames. The common person can most certainly relate.

Old 02-14-2019, 02:49 PM

1,640 posts, read 787,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I think the perception of being in touch with the common man matters. Trump was given a leg up from his dad to start amassing his fame and fortune where Warren had to fight her way out of obscurity and checking that Native American box which was deceitful may have helped her.

Perhaps it is Trumps mannerism and speech that allows him to connect with the common man. Perhaps it comes from his decades of dealing with union bosses and no doubt NY mobsters to get stuff done?

Trump is somehow relatable but when Warren gives a speech I feel she is talking down to us.

If we are comparing Trump to Warren I think he comes off as a leader whereas Warren is a victim.
Hillary Clinton did not share that victim mentality so it is not a woman V man thing.

I can not envision Warren standing up to the likes of a Kim Jong Un or Putin.

There is just something about her that comes across as unlikable.
This looks like differentiating by sex to be honest
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
He eats McDonald's, KFC, and Wendy's on a regular basis. He's a reality TV star. He gives people funny nicknames. The common person can most certainly relate.
I was wondering if it was a matter of… I don’t want to say stupidity, but Trump is clearly not the brightest bulb. He is unhealthy. He does contain an element of the lowest common denominator. I would hope that is not the average American. I hope, as a nation, we are more than crappy food and dumbed down speech

Old 02-14-2019, 03:27 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,728,963 times
Quote:
I was wondering if it was a matter of… I don’t want to say stupidity, but Trump is clearly not the brightest bulb. He is unhealthy. He does contain an element of the lowest common denominator. I would hope that is not the average American. I hope, as a nation, we are more than crappy food and dumbed down speech

I wish it was so. But no, he calls people vile things and people think they are "funny names". Lots of people are that ignorant, I am afraid. Apparently people it lots of junk food too. Ugh. I'm sure plenty of people like that he thinks exercise is unhealthy and he wastes time watching TV too.

Old 02-14-2019, 04:09 PM

4,235 posts, read 3,676,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I wish it was so. But no, he calls people vile things and people think they are "funny names". Lots of people are that ignorant, I am afraid. Apparently people it lots of junk food too. Ugh. I'm sure plenty of people like that he thinks exercise is unhealthy and he wastes time watching TV too.
I agree. A full 1/3 of the people think whatever he does is great. Take away his money and he is one of those people.

Old 02-14-2019, 06:22 PM

3,146 posts, read 2,069,188 times
Quote:

Sadly Cassy I think that "the majority" of the country
we should feel lucky at how sheltered we are from it

Old 02-14-2019, 08:06 PM

41 posts, read 17,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
He also eats steak like a wimp - there's no way Hank Hill would be having any of this "well done with ketchup" nonsense.

More seriously, of course, he's obviously a pampered man, and the way he's lived his life is very inconsistent with fidelity to and prioritization of family. He also could clearly give half a hoot about the teachings of Jesus Christ, and it's highly unlikely he could handle doing any kind of work with his hands.

All of these are very inconsistent values with "the common person"; the fact that this gets glossed over and "funny nicknames, fast food" are what people remember and relate to is a testament to what a marketing/brand whiz he is. He's good at virtually nothing else (including governing a country) but he's got that one down pat.

Old 02-15-2019, 09:47 AM

12,606 posts, read 21,753,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
Thats actually one of the few things I agree with him on. It's 100% accurate and 100% scary
He's made it a left wing "issue" though and that's the scariest part for me.

It's not a new thing. Human beings are biased, and as long as human beings are reporting the news, the news will contain elements of that bias. It doesn't matter the outlet, it will be biased. Obviously there are varying degrees in the way that the bias shows through. CBS News leans left of center, but not to the extent that CNN does, and CNN is still more moderate left than, say, Politico or Slate. On the Right, the WSJ is just right of center, Fox news is firmly right, but still not as far right as Breitbart or Info Wars. Michigan State has a study on where these outlets fall on the spectrum. Spoiler - literally none of them are unbiased.

Any reasonable person should be able understand that there is no such thing as unbiased news. Never has been and never will be. My concern is that DJT has really pushed hard to discredit anything on the left ("enemy of the people") while embracing the right wing news (Hannity has literally campaigned with him, and Steve Bannon was the head of Breitbart for a while). So it's plain stupid to think one side is evil while the other is unbiased and fair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts