U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2019, 06:17 PM

74 posts, read 51,843 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I am back seeking your advise again. I have lived all over greater Boston area for the past 8 months now and definitely would like to stay south due to perceived quality of living, costs, ease of commute to South Station and just the general vibe. I would appreciate your help in narrowing down the towns based on resale value in 6-8 years from now.

What we want is a safe place with minimal density and a good resale value on a commuter rail or within 10 min drive to a commuter rail. We don’t care about schools but understand that schools matter for resale. We very much like Dover but we can’t afford it so please rank the below list and tell us why you would pick one town over other. We very much care for your opinion as you are locals.

Medfield
Millis
Canton
Walpole
Norfolk ( a lot of homes we like)
Mansfield
Norwood
Norton
North Attleboro
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2019, 05:37 AM

8,398 posts, read 12,713,339 times
Medfield or Norfolk.

Old 02-11-2019, 08:21 AM

50 posts, read 41,560 times
I would pick Medfield, simply for resale value.

Old 02-11-2019, 08:23 AM

7,192 posts, read 10,986,878 times
My thought was Medfield or Canton. However, based on your description of what you'd like your town to be like I think Medfield lines up better with that.

Canton is a much easier town to commute from though if you live in the right corner of town as there are 2 commuter rail stations (practically next to each other which is ridiculous) and University Station in Westwood is right over the town line. So, access to 3 commuter rail stations and better highway access as well from some parts of town.

Medfield on the other hand has more green space and the schools are typically ranked/rated higher than Canton. I have plenty of clients/friends who live in Medfield and my Sister/Brother in law live there. The feedback I always get is that it can be a tough place to commute from. Otherwise, people I know who live there love it. The town center is very small but has some good shops/restaurants and a Brothers Market which is a high end Roche Brothers. Plus, there's a Shaw's in town for a less expensive alternative to Brothers.

The rest of your list is either towns that are much harder to commute from, don't offer any kind of options of commuting (i.e. you're definitely taking the train because driving is hellish) or the school system does not rank/rate as high as Medfield or Canton.

Old 02-11-2019, 10:11 AM

8,398 posts, read 12,713,339 times
Well, Norfolk has a train station right in the center so it's not a bad town to commute from. Plus the OP found some houses there.

Old 02-11-2019, 11:09 AM

317 posts, read 246,588 times
Norfolk. Great town. Friendly people. One of the safest in MA.

Old 02-11-2019, 11:38 AM

2,177 posts, read 3,889,209 times
Canton, Medfield, Norwood have the advantage of being a few miles closer in just in case the commuter rail falters, which has been known to happen. Medfield, Norfolk, Millis for lowest density, most open space. Canton and Norwood for commuter rail convenience. Walpole has less density than Canton and Norwood but more than Norfolk and Medfield. And it has a CR station. Medfield is pretty tony, right up there with Dover and Sherborn; I'd be surprised if it was any cheaper than those.

Old 02-12-2019, 07:40 AM

88 posts, read 104,365 times
Mansfield, since it can get you to Boston faster, but isn't as expensive as the inner ring towns. Re-sale value is pretty good as well due to proximity to highways and since the schools are good.

Old 02-13-2019, 06:43 PM

2 posts, read 1,550 times
I live in Providence and commute. Route 1 is the quickest way to hospital district. Once you learn your way around Tom and Giselle Country through Brookline, it's a joy. Less traffic and sweet country side on top of Lars Anderson Park. If I had money it would be Medfield. However Walpole is close to everything and Canton is a sweet town. Lots of green, a dog park, green space, commuter rails, and a great farm. My house in Providence is cheap enough and huge. My money is spent on cars!! I need the urban landscape. Please check out the athletic club in Westwood. It is amazing and open 4 am-midnight. They are building one in Burlington and there are other locations, but Westwood is near Canton. Even from PVD, this is where I stop every day and workout. Love towels on tap as we say! Good luck Seattle. Boston is tough.

Old 03-15-2019, 02:40 PM

74 posts, read 51,843 times
Thank you all. It’s tough finding a house in a this hot market. Any thoughts on Milford?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts