Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2019, 06:53 PM

1 posts, read 1,847 times

Advertisements

I'd like to hear from some Methuen residents here about their experience and where Methuen is trending? At the moment, its experiencing a 4% year-over-year increase in sale price, just slightly over the rate of inflation. The crime index has fluctuated with 2014 at its lowest, but on average is on the decline.

We're seriously considering moving to the north eastern triangle of Methuen and are content with the schools serving elementary through middle school, but high school is of concern. How does Methuen HS stack up?

Another point of concern is nearby Lawrence and its impact on Methuen and the student body. We took a tour around downtown Methuen on a clear Sunday afternoon and it was a ghost town, the shops were nothing of note. We knew exactly where Methuen ended and Lawrence began. Andover is successfully able to keep Lawrence at bay - is Methuen capable of doing the same or will they be absorbed by Lawrence transplants? The demographics seem to speak for themselves with a declining white population in Methuen and conversing rising hispanic population.

On a side note, I work in Haverhill and the downtown has alot of potential and I know that commercial industry is stepping up. Haverhill also has its share of nice sections, but we scratched it off our list as their entire school system is sub-par. Is that the only knock on them that explains the glut of Haverhill home inventory and lower prices or am I missing something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2019, 09:00 PM

2,365 posts, read 1,850,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by granitecoastie View Post
I'd like to hear from some Methuen residents here about their experience and where Methuen is trending? At the moment, its experiencing a 4% year-over-year increase in sale price, just slightly over the rate of inflation. The crime index has fluctuated with 2014 at its lowest, but on average is on the decline.

We're seriously considering moving to the north eastern triangle of Methuen and are content with the schools serving elementary through middle school, but high school is of concern. How does Methuen HS stack up?

Another point of concern is nearby Lawrence and its impact on Methuen and the student body. We took a tour around downtown Methuen on a clear Sunday afternoon and it was a ghost town, the shops were nothing of note. We knew exactly where Methuen ended and Lawrence began. Andover is successfully able to keep Lawrence at bay - is Methuen capable of doing the same or will they be absorbed by Lawrence transplants? The demographics seem to speak for themselves with a declining white population in Methuen and conversing rising hispanic population.

On a side note, I work in Haverhill and the downtown has alot of potential and I know that commercial industry is stepping up. Haverhill also has its share of nice sections, but we scratched it off our list as their entire school system is sub-par. Is that the only knock on them that explains the glut of Haverhill home inventory and lower prices or am I missing something?
The northeastern part of Methuen is the nicest part of town. Very convenient access to shopping and the highway yet the streets are quiet and wooded.

I can't speak to the schools, I grew up in the area and never heard good or bad about them.

Methuen is one of the fastest growing cities in New England and has shown consistent growth over the last 40 years. This contrasts with Haverhill, which has also grown a little bit, but has been an established city for over 300 years. Consequently Haverhill has a proper downtown and is more urban in general.

While I feel that city has more character, it faces more social issues than Methuen.

I would not be concerned with "Lawrence spreading". These two towns have shared a border for a very long time. If there is an increase of Hispanic students in Methuen schools, it's probably because their parents wanted better for them than LHS. The poor people that you don't want your kids around are more likely to move to Haverhill or Salem than to Methuen.

Old 04-03-2019, 10:05 PM

3 posts, read 3,748 times
I also live in Methuen and would rather you move to Haverhill or elsewhere. Your comments seem racist and Methuen is a diverse place with many nationalities and racism isn’t needed. There are trashy people in all races. I have a few Hispanics that work for me and they are very respectful and also pass it on to their children,as I’ve seen. To be honest with you I have a “white” employee and his house smells like cat urine and kept lig a pig pen. The Hispanics house was much much cleaner. So please bring your racism elsewhere. As for space -league just because someone may not have as much money as you doesn’t make them bad nor someone to stay away from. Hopefully your children learn tolerance in school because doesn’t seem like mom and dad are smart enough to teach them that.

Old 04-04-2019, 06:08 AM

622 posts, read 563,322 times
i thought Methuen was a slum?

Old 04-04-2019, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cronicly View Post
I also live in Methuen and would rather you move to Haverhill or elsewhere. Your comments seem racist and Methuen is a diverse place with many nationalities and racism isn’t needed. There are trashy people in all races. I have a few Hispanics that work for me and they are very respectful and also pass it on to their children,as I’ve seen. To be honest with you I have a “white” employee and his house smells like cat urine and kept lig a pig pen. The Hispanics house was much much cleaner. So please bring your racism elsewhere. As for space -league just because someone may not have as much money as you doesn’t make them bad nor someone to stay away from. Hopefully your children learn tolerance in school because doesn’t seem like mom and dad are smart enough to teach them that.

When did I say that?

Old 04-04-2019, 07:28 AM

604 posts, read 560,920 times
If you feel like a town that pays its police officers CEO money is well-run, go right ahead: https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...seO/story.html

https://www.boston25news.com/news/me...cers/779298224

I would pick North Andover if I had to be in that area and couldn't afford Andover. Maybe Salem NH but I don't know as much about it.

Old 04-04-2019, 10:10 AM

3 posts, read 3,748 times
How you said if the person wanted to keep children away from poor people. Nothing wrong with poor people besides the struggle they go through to keep food on the table. Not all poor people commit crimes

Old 04-04-2019, 10:42 AM

10,007 posts, read 15,647,185 times
Quote:
How you said if the person wanted to keep children away from poor people. Nothing wrong with poor people besides the struggle they go through to keep food on the table. Not all poor people commit crimes
I think you are confusing posters. That's not what Space _ League said.

Old 04-04-2019, 11:15 AM

622 posts, read 563,322 times
Methuen = METH u an

Old 04-04-2019, 11:28 AM

Quote:
I said if the OP is afraid of poor people (sounds like they are), they would be better off in Methuen than Haverhill (my home town) or Salem NH. I didn't say there was anything wrong with poor people or that it's appropriate to be afraid of them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts