Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 07:38 AM

134 posts, read 218,859 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Do you have any suggestions in how to research private schools (middle and high) with a strong focus on music? My children are quite keen on music and I am researching private schools and can further develop this area. I know Rivers School has a conservatory program but are there other schools that similar program?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2019, 10:57 AM

9,873 posts, read 7,197,601 times
Walnut Hill in Natick for 9-12. Day program is about $47K.

Old 05-06-2019, 04:38 PM

3,686 posts, read 7,422,687 times
Why private schools?

The better, larger public school systems will have the best music programs. Andover, Newton, Westwood, to name just a few.

Old 05-07-2019, 06:43 AM

gf2020 - my concern about public school program is about the attention each kid can receive. For public school, I am sure the program itself can be good but how much individual attention and additional coaching you can get if teachers need to handle hundred of students?

Old 05-07-2019, 09:02 AM

3,686 posts, read 7,422,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claiz View Post
gf2020 - my concern about public school program is about the attention each kid can receive. For public school, I am sure the program itself can be good but how much individual attention and additional coaching you can get if teachers need to handle hundred of students?

Do you mean individualized instruction for music or voice? I don't think you will find that in any school: public or private. It is is usually expected that students who want to make a serious commitment to an instrument or voice will take private lessons outside of school to further their craft.

The lone exception may be some of the programs offered by the Preparatory School of the New England Conservatory: https://necmusic.edu/prep

Old 05-07-2019, 09:30 AM

779 posts, read 876,560 times
Our kids go to a conservatory and even the most dedicated students go to public school and do lessons/camps/ensembles/exams through the conservatory after school and on weekends.

Old 05-07-2019, 10:15 AM

NewfieMama - thanks for the info. Do you mind sharing which conservatory your kids go to? How do you research which one to go to? Thanks!

Old 05-07-2019, 12:40 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,331,831 times
Quote:
NewfieMama - thanks for the info. Do you mind sharing which conservatory your kids go to? How do you research which one to go to? Thanks!
Are you unhappy with Lexington schools? There has been plenty written lately about public vs private schools, Google it. Public school teachers are more qualified.

Old 05-07-2019, 03:41 PM

779 posts, read 876,560 times
Quote:
we are on the south shore, so we go to the South Shore Conservatory in Hingham. There are other SSC campuses on the south shore (one in Duxbury and another one soon to open on the Hanover/Norwell border), but there aren't any other conservatories in the area, really, so there isn't much competition.

The reason we chose the conservatory was because a.) the program is geared toward young students--our kids started Music Together as babies and then graduated to an instrument (piano and violin) at age 3. If you get lessons via a private instructor, they usually don't start kids until 5 or 6. b.) we liked the suzuki method, which is what most conservatories offer c.) group classes are mandatory and I think that is a really great tool to get children comfortable with performing in front of crowds (has been really great for our kids even outside of music) and 4.) We wanted to do the RCM (royal conservatory of music) exams and the conservatory works with them to offer those.

Old 05-07-2019, 05:55 PM

9,873 posts, read 7,197,601 times
If you are in Lexington, take a look at the Real School of Music in Burlington. I know many families that went there for individual lessons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts