U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 08:59 AM

434 posts, read 186,082 times

Advertisements

Andover is more boujey than North Andover, it's that simple. But you can drive anywhere in Andover in 10 minutes from anywhere in North Andover.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2019, 09:48 AM

601 posts, read 327,694 times
Whatever "prestige" Andover still has left will quickly evaporate in the coming years. The fact that a town like Burlington is nearly 50% more per square foot says a lot...

People priced out of Burlington will be moving to Andover... Real prestigious..

Face the facts - the barrier to entry of Andover is gone now. It is now a budget-oriented town that competes by offering lower cost of living compared to closer-in towns like Burlington and Reading.

Old 04-12-2019, 09:54 AM

601 posts, read 327,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
You got the wrong guy chilly willy.

I bought in Reading over Andover.
If you love Reading so much why did you leave and move to Westford?

You moved to Reading for so called investment purposes but didn't you only stay for 2-3 years? After transaction costs you probably didn't make a dime.

And why the heck are you pumping up Andover so much? It is a budget town - nothing special.

Old 04-12-2019, 09:58 AM

509 posts, read 478,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BosYuppie View Post
Andover is more boujey than North Andover, it's that simple. But you can drive anywhere in Andover in 10 minutes from anywhere in North Andover.
Nope if you are in the out country section of NA it will take you way more than 10 minutes to get to Andover. That side of town is nowhere near 495. Nearest highway would be 95 in Boxford

Old 04-12-2019, 10:28 AM

3,041 posts, read 1,663,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by panchilly View Post

You moved to Reading for so called investment purposes but didn't you only stay for 2-3 years? After transaction costs you probably didn't make a dime.

And why the heck are you pumping up Andover so much? It is a budget town - nothing special.
Who said I loved Reading "so much"? Why do you care about the equity I did or did not have in Reading? What if it my tappable equity means nothing to me if I have several sources of residual income, and solid investments elsewhere?

I am recommending Andover for the downtown and the train over North Andover. That's about it.

But, in comes dialogue about Natick, and then the bashing of Andover, all for what? Are you being helpful to the OP by telling her a town 30 miles away has been a better investment post recession? Calling Andover a budget town.. You must be the wealthiest poster on CD.

There are good buys on the low end, and barrier of entry is now lower than in Burlington or Reading. That much is true. But, that can be a great thing for young families, or empty nesters looking for a nice place to live when proximity to the city means jack. Andover isn't going anywhere.. Train to the city, good schools, nice core, very well kept properties, Philips Andover. Since this is a constant peeing match for you, there are luxury homes abound in Andover, with as much top end affluence as Natick and Burlington combined.

https://www.wcvb.com/article/where-d...-live/13444369

Old 04-12-2019, 09:47 PM

772 posts, read 656,839 times
Quote:

The problem is you are singularly focused on a lone value metric and you are broad-brushing two 30 square mile towns based on your short-sighted conclusions. It feels like this is intentional, but I can pretend that it isn't.

Cost per square foot is not the only factor in prestige. For example, Roxbury has a price per square foot higher than Duxbury, MA**. Would you pursue the argument that Duxbury is therefore less prestiguious?

The irony is that you are denouncing these towns as "ghettos" for dead-end middle managers, yet you yourself are so entrenched in the worker-bee state of mind that you can literally only see a place for its proximity to your run of the mill junior developer engineering jobs in Cambridge.

Allow me to fill you in, the old money guys in Andover could care less.

Andover was founded in 1646 and has been a wealthy area, home to one of the world's most prestigious secondary schools since before the birth of our nation. No one can predict the future, but I find it presumptuous to say that will change within the next fifteen years.

Let me clarify something else to dispel a potential source of confusion The Andovers are not suburbs of Boston The relative proximity to Boston, and the three MBTA stations in the towns are certainly a luxury, but most people there are not Boston commuters.

I have worked as a CPA in the area and prepared tax returns for dozens if not hundreds of residents over the years. Most of these people have incomes north of 400k, many quite significantly more. Not a single one worked in the city of Boston.

In my experiences as a resident of North Andover, it was only the middle class and working class people who worked in Boston, most of them like myself moved from less desirable Essex County cities to the Andovers because of their reputation in the county as being safe, high quality towns with good schools.

Let's return to the size of these towns. Together they make up an area that is larger than the city of Boston. Each of them alone is over twice the size of Burlington, affording them ample room to build affordable housing (driving down median prices, but adding to the diversity of the region).

There are parts of town that are quite modest and affordable (still extremely safe)
https://goo.gl/maps/CBC2JxjgVwt

However the large majority of these towns are extremely wealthy and bucolic neighborhoods. There are literally miles of neighborhoods full of multi-million dollar homes. I challenge you to find the neighborhoods in Natick and Burlington full of homes like these.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...85_rect/13_zm/

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...24_rect/12_zm/

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...86_rect/12_zm/

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...24_rect/12_zm/

Please stop spreading misinformation on the forums.

**https://www.zillow.com/roxbury-boston-ma/home-values/
**https://www.zillow.com/duxbury-ma/home-values/

Last edited by Space_League; 04-12-2019 at 10:36 PM..

Old 04-13-2019, 06:42 AM

17,449 posts, read 9,753,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BosYuppie View Post

Not quite. You can't even get from Merrimack College on the Andover line to Ballardvale in 10 minutes. Not that anyone would be driving to Ballardvale.

I lived in Andover in the mid-1980s when it was noticeably split between "townie" and "transplant" with a white collar job. Housing costs and property taxes have pretty much eliminated the townie part.

I'm still laughing at the "Natick more prestigious than Andover" thing. Natick has nothing like Phillips Academy or the Andover Inn or the Andover CC or Andover's Main Street. The problem with Andover is that it's not a great Boston commute. Commuter rail to North Station is kind of useless for most jobs and I-93 is getting really congested. The metro Boston real estate market pricing now reflects the relative ease of getting from your house to your job without a soul-crushing commute. A friend of mine lives in a big house on a huge lot in Andover Center and is currently commuting to Huntington Ave. I can't imagine doing that.

Old 04-13-2019, 06:49 AM

90 posts, read 44,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
The metro Boston real estate market pricing now reflects the relative ease of getting from your house to your job without a soul-crushing commute.
I would say the metro market now reflects the near-impossibility of commuting w/out the soul crushing part.

Old 04-13-2019, 07:18 AM

17,449 posts, read 9,753,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grlwthprl View Post
I would say the metro market now reflects the near-impossibility of commuting w/out the soul crushing part.

Which is why people are paying big money for former working class tract housing in Natick.

Old 04-13-2019, 07:36 AM

1,049 posts, read 520,281 times
Quote:

Could you please find another hobby? Go crunch numbers on gym memberships or something. Or go hang out with the many millionaires and billionaires you went to school with. You offer nothing to these conversations except contrarian blinkered dung.

The OP is asking about the difference between two towns and you've introduced a number of other towns and tried to insult those giving feedback. You are singlehandedly destroying the Massachusetts forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts