U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-25-2019, 03:18 PM
 
4 posts, read 1,635 times
Reputation: 16

Advertisements

Hi,

We are moving to the South Shore pretty soon. We are a young family with a budget of around 450k. So far, we've looked at towns like Marshfield, Hanover, and Pembroke which seem affordable with our budget and have good school systems, but there isn't a lot of inventory on the market currently that fit our price range. We've accepted that towns like Norwell, Cohasset and Hingham our out of reach. We are also looking at Abington which fits our price range and seems to have a decent school system. Can anyone shed light on Abington? We've also looked at Whitman and Hanson which seem like nice little towns but not close to any highways or attractions. Any help?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-25-2019, 07:32 PM
 
3,348 posts, read 1,858,943 times
Reputation: 2764
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_j View Post
Hi,

We are moving to the South Shore pretty soon. We are a young family with a budget of around 450k. So far, we've looked at towns like Marshfield, Hanover, and Pembroke which seem affordable with our budget and have good school systems, but there isn't a lot of inventory on the market currently that fit our price range. We've accepted that towns like Norwell, Cohasset and Hingham our out of reach. We are also looking at Abington which fits our price range and seems to have a decent school system. Can anyone shed light on Abington? We've also looked at Whitman and Hanson which seem like nice little towns but not close to any highways or attractions. Any help?
I have heard very little about Abington. Train stop, 20 miles to the city. Not sure what the story is there.. I have heard that it's fairly local/townie, blue collar. I generally don't mind that vibe, though I know it's a negative for most.

I'd go with Hanover. Nice town, decent housing stock, good schools, and has become more desirable over the years with it's highway access. That said, almost any of those towns without public transportation offer a borderline abysmal commute into the city. And if your job ever ends up west of the city, be ready to move.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2019, 08:00 AM
 
5,517 posts, read 5,053,953 times
Reputation: 2898
Any time someone says they are moving I have to ask where are you moving from. If you are from out of region the snow might be a factor, if out of state traffic etc

I lived in Pembroke for about 22 years. The surrounding towns are expensive. Maybe Halifax would work. Remember there is a commuter rail.

To be frank I don't think parts of the south shore will be around in another 30 years. Fighting new fema flood maps isn't a good idea. Hull bring the most obvious but humarock and Duxbury Beach also come to mind.

Pembroke might start some more construction. There's some developments that could get approved at town meeting. Technically speaking they need a new community center, new police station, new town hall and fire station. At ten to 15 million a piece the only way to pay is more development or higher taxes.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2019, 08:21 AM
 
339 posts, read 263,977 times
Reputation: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
I have heard very little about Abington. Train stop, 20 miles to the city. Not sure what the story is there.. I have heard that it's fairly local/townie, blue collar. I generally don't mind that vibe, though I know it's a negative for most.

I'd go with Hanover. Nice town, decent housing stock, good schools, and has become more desirable over the years with it's highway access. That said, almost any of those towns without public transportation offer a borderline abysmal commute into the city. And if your job ever ends up west of the city, be ready to move.
Abington is a slightly worse version of Weymouth- towns that get more crap than they deserve, but are just kind of blah.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2019, 08:37 AM
 
Location: Cape Cod
15,843 posts, read 10,429,119 times
Reputation: 25632
I feel that Abington is much like Rockland which I am not a fan of. I have family in Whitman and Hanson which are both nice towns with good school systems but I fear that the proximity to Brockton is starting to rub off on Whitman.



As for "attractions" OP it depends on what you are looking for. There is not much going on in most of the South Shore towns but for local community events but are you talking about getting into Boston for shows/ museums or maybe going to the beach? If so then any of the SS towns would work because Boston, Cape Cod, New Hampshire, Rhode Island are day trips.



As you search for a new home be sure to watch the tax rates which can vary from high to not so high.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2019, 09:26 AM
 
474 posts, read 224,331 times
Reputation: 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLinderman View Post
Abington is a slightly worse version of Weymouth- towns that get more crap than they deserve, but are just kind of blah.
I have a friend in Weymouth. I would call it 2019 American middle class. There’s some dirt on it, heavy industry and occasional rusty cars sitting out in the yard and looks like a lot of good dive bars, but it seems pretty safe overall and there’s plenty of amenities, just not glam. But you can also quickly drive to Hingham and fulfill your boujey needs.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2019, 10:37 AM
 
604 posts, read 611,935 times
Reputation: 728
I love Marshfield, Pembroke, and Hanover and have friends with kids in all three school districts who love the schools. I'm in Norwell and have seen several houses pop up in the $450K range--just depends on what you're looking for. Given all the development that is happening in Hanover right now (Merchant's Row currently being re-developed, the Hanover Mall project which may or may not happen) etc., I think it will see a ton of growth as a result. Plus there are a lot of family-friendly amenties. The Y is there. The south shore conservatory is adding a Hanover campus that is scheduled to be done next year. You have all the shops/restaurants along 53. I love Marshfield and Pembroke, so you can't go wrong there, but if you're a young active family, Hanover might just be more convenient.

As a former Weymouth resident, I have nothing negative to say about Weymouth. I thought the location was super convenient (my husband and I both commuted to Boston at the time) and I loved our neighborhood. I didn't have kids when I lived there, but I have friends who live there with kids and they seem happy with the schools so far (my kids are young, so only know grade-school-aged kids)

I know nothing about Abington, so can't help there.

Rockland may fit the bill as well. A couple of kids in my daughter's dance class go to Rockland grade schools and I haven't heard any complaining from the parents about the schools. I admittedly don't know much, but it's close to the areas you're looking and fits with the budget!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2019, 09:27 AM
 
51 posts, read 55,346 times
Reputation: 112
We're in Hull, have been here almost 20 years and love it! We have 2 kids in the schools (elem and middle) - very happy with the schools. Lots of homes in your price range and young families moving in. Best of both worlds - small and friendly seaside town with a strong sense of community, amazing beaches and restaurants, but with easy commute to Boston via ferry or train and shopping and other amenities in nearby Hingham etc.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2019, 10:25 AM
 
339 posts, read 263,977 times
Reputation: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by BosYuppie View Post
I have a friend in Weymouth. I would call it 2019 American middle class. There’s some dirt on it, heavy industry and occasional rusty cars sitting out in the yard and looks like a lot of good dive bars, but it seems pretty safe overall and there’s plenty of amenities, just not glam. But you can also quickly drive to Hingham and fulfill your boujey needs.
I live currently live in and grew up in Weymouth. Your assessment is pretty spot on I'd say. Weymouth's drawbacks are the heroin (which is honestly everywhere) and the schools. I feel like Weymouth was better when I was younger in the 80s/90s than it is now, but might be on the uptick again ever since Hedlund became mayor.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2019, 08:17 PM
 
Location: Central New Jersey (prev. Boston, NY, Florida)
4,204 posts, read 1,479,291 times
Reputation: 3520
Weymouth, Whitman, Holbrook are good choices.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top