U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 11:16 PM

7,352 posts, read 9,550,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorsenator View Post
Complete and utter nonsense! Pessimists have been peddling this baloney for eons. The U.S. remains significantly underpopulated compared to Western Europe and much of the world. We produce a staggering surplus of food each year and technology continues to allow us to grow more food, more efficiently each year.

This being a free nation the sky-is-falling folks are free to hole up in their dark, electricity-free caves, and wait childlessly for the end times. Fortunately, the naysayers are small in number and greatly outnumbered by a reasonable majority.

The negative consequence of flat population growth in the northeast is that the centers of economic growth and development (and thus new jobs) are moving elsewhere. This means that middle class families will find it harder to live in the northeast because the engines of opportunity will increasingly be in other places. Politically speaking, it means the northeast will have declining influence while the sun belt will grow in political clout. We see this in shifts in the electoral college map, where states like NY and PA are losing influence while AZ and TX are gaining.
Sorry, but not "complete and utter nonsense" in the least. The fact that the U.S. is "underpopulated" in comparison with Western Europe (which is, in fact, overpopulated) is irrelevant. So is the fact that we have a surplus of food. Not the least bit relevant. This is not some apocalyptic nonsense on the part of "sky-is-falling folks," and it's absurd to reduce it to that. It's not even up for debate any more that the world's population, including the U.S. population, has reached unsustainable limits. Ask any ecological biologist--he/she will tell you the same thing. Just because you don't want to believe it doesn't make it untrue.

US Population Hits 300 Million, but Is It Sustainable?

Determining Sustainable Population Levels using Footprint Data

Earth's Population Growth Is Unsustainable - Population Growth

http://zone5.org/2007/11/11/bursting-point-the-world’s-unsustainable-population/ (broken link)

The State of World Population 2001
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2008, 01:36 AM

2,233 posts, read 3,717,968 times
Massachusetts has one of the lowest fertility rates in the U.S.. Our economy is growth based. Wouldn't you rather have our future generation come from us, rather than Mexico, China, India et... It is those countries who need to worry about population growth, not us. I do agree that the Northeast is pretty much full. I think the rest of the country is full as well, for that matter. Americans need to have kids, at least replacement level anyway.

Old 04-14-2008, 01:38 AM

2,233 posts, read 3,717,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarty View Post
MovingForward... you're right... I cannot afford to pay for kids college tuition... I shouldn't have follow the Catholic rules... I think the pope should change the view on using protection.

I've been brain washed... before I get married... they keep asking when I will get married... after I get married... they keep asking when I will have a baby... after my first... they say my child needs a playmate... after the 2nd one... they say why stop there... go create a football team.

It is a conspiracy theory... that people with kids just want those without suffer as they do... so they create these wonderful stories about how kids will make you happy... Any parent want to chime in on this one?

Oh.... getting back to the original point.. people move to where there are jobs and lower housing/high quality of life places...

Your spoiled in Massachusetts. Go to California and I bet you'd wish Americans would have more kids.

Old 04-14-2008, 02:55 AM

702 posts, read 2,869,607 times
I think the Northeast population is growing quite decently. It is a sign of a mature market. It is not exploding like in the South but is increasing slightly and steadily. I think that is the ideal. The South is already experiencing growing pains with overcrowded schools, overextended infrastructure and increasing pollution. The quality of life that draws people into the region will start declining as seen in Florida and California, which were growing like crazy in the past. So, most likely people will just move to even cheaper states. Maybe the plain states will be the next growth area.

Old 04-14-2008, 04:43 AM

1,810 posts, read 9,965,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
Your spoiled in Massachusetts. Go to California and I bet you'd wish Americans would have more kids.
Since I'm not from CA... please help me understand this one...

Old 04-14-2008, 07:53 AM

2,592 posts, read 4,877,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarty View Post
Wow... The only thing I saw is MA population has more foreign born... but lots of illegal immigrants? where do you get that statistics? I thought most are here legally. My understanding is Senator Kennedy worked really hard getting immigrant to MA legally.
Let me correct, what I meant was from foreign immigrants many who are not American citizens. They may be here legally or illegally, but those numbers are difficult to to get.

I don't agree with the people that think loss of people is a good thing. Loss of people means loss of jobs, of tax revenue, and losing an educated workforce.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:28 AM

15,889 posts, read 28,241,840 times
The overall U.S. populaton would be steady-state (something like 2.1 per woman) except for immigration, which accounts for virtually all growth.
As Edward Abbey said, constant growth is the philosphy of the cancer cell. Obviously, the economy or population of anything cannot continue to grow indefinately without some real problems.
And I hardly think anyone says, "Honey, let's go upstairs and make more employees for Social Security." The baby boom lump (of which I am smack in the middle, although one of two kids) is not likely to be replicated any time soon. Handling our populationn bulge has been a national issue at every state of life. When our bulge passes on, it'd be nice to leave a steady-state, sustainable economy rather than something that must get ever-bigger to work at all.
Yes, people leave Massachusetts, often for housing prices and/or what they consider better weather. Also, note that some 250,000 people come here every year for undergrad college, mostly in the Boston area. Of course many of these people have no intention of staying, and are more likely to start careers in their home areas or a smaller market, to gain experience (whatever their area of work).
If the population is steady-state, the insane housing prices might come down. Some. There is no endless land near work to build huge subdivisions, as the local economy has been slowly growing for hundreds of years. The immediate Boston area is well built out, mostly.
People will take their families and/or educations and skills and enrich some other area. It has always been this way.Now, I hate to see communities fail completely because of economics, like steel and coal areas, or Detroit- that is tragic for the people. But people have always moved on in this country for every reason. As we are largely not a land-based culture anymore, it seems like the American way. I know a lot of New England education is now enriching areas in North Carolina because of weather-movers and opportunity.
Disclosure- I moved from the vast subdivisions of south Jersey to Boston area in 1974 at age 20, have come and gone some three times, and keep landing back here.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:36 AM

3,637 posts, read 4,726,935 times
Wow, interesting to see regional differences in how people look at population growth. Outside of the Northeast, people are excited, eager about robust population growth. NEw England is particularly unlike anywhere else in its outlook and worldview. It has a very anti-growth mentality that I think has hindered its growth and led to a population drain southward and westward.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:38 AM

3,637 posts, read 4,726,935 times
As a progressive, I wish liberals weren't so anti-human population. We are not having babies, and it will come to bite us in the butt. Meanwhile, conservatives are popping out babies like rabbits. The future belongs to those who embrace robust reproduction, and on that account, liberals are endangered.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:02 AM

270 posts, read 1,253,465 times
I think the US has a long way to go before it is over populated. Of course it is nicer to live in a not so congested area and I think there are plenty left in the US. I am too in favor of balanced growth (which is hard to achieve) because if have seen the effects in my home country Germany. The town I grew up in is located in the middle of Germany in breathtaking pretty surroundings. Very modern and balanced.
Now Germany as a whole had a shrinking growth rate in the last twenty years or so and it is very depressing and problematic. There is huge concern for future social security, unemployment, health insurance and other insurance programs. There are simply not enough young people born to sustain it. There are whole streets with beautiful, empty houses you can buy for cheap because the people that died have no heirs. Schools are closing. Stores are closing. Bus and train routes are cut. There are no kids around. And of course there are no jobs. The worst thing (and I don't mean that personal) is the age of the population. There are a lot of seniors and no young people. The hospitals are full but there are no new doctors. And it is not that the young people are all moving to the cities for better opportunities. Yes, the growth rate in the cities is slightly better but only due to immigrants, which causes a whole new set of problems.
Germany has been doing a lot to promote more births but only in the last couple of years the numbers have come up slightly. Hopefully it will work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts