Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 11:48 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,242,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I've heard it both ways....as well as "The 'Rica"
I'll toss in an oldie... before Somerville became the oh so special crunchy granola joint..

"Somerville with trees".

Lol. So true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2019, 11:59 AM

5,014 posts, read 3,908,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
I'll toss in an oldie... before Somerville became the oh so special crunchy granola joint..

"Somerville with trees".

Lol. So true.
"Somerville with a yard" is still a common phrase for Billerica. It remains a largely blue collar town, but for every scally cap and Boston tattoo, there is a new young family who moved in for the same reasons you are.. Good location, brand new high school.

I'd have to check the appreciation data in Billerica, but I'm sure it's done very well. It was not long ago that Chelmsford was considered far nicer. I think they have leveled out quite a bit. Overall, I think it's a good buy from an investment perspective. Keep riding Burlington's commercial activity, it's not going anywhere any time soon. Just ask Bedford.

Old 06-04-2019, 12:22 PM

622 posts, read 563,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
"Somerville with a yard" is still a common phrase for Billerica. It remains a largely blue collar town, but for every scally cap and Boston tattoo, there is a new young family who moved in for the same reasons you are.. Good location, brand new high school.

I'd have to check the appreciation data in Billerica, but I'm sure it's done very well. It was not long ago that Chelmsford was considered far nicer. I think they have leveled out quite a bit. Overall, I think it's a good buy from an investment perspective. Keep riding Burlington's commercial activity, it's not going anywhere any time soon. Just ask Bedford.
Billerica is nearly on par with Acton in terms of price per square foot. Can you believe that?

Billerica has come along way. There are even teardowns there now. A very good sign.

Old 06-04-2019, 07:46 PM

5,014 posts, read 3,908,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by panchilly View Post
Billerica is nearly on par with Acton in terms of price per square foot. Can you believe that?

Billerica has come along way. There are even teardowns there now. A very good sign.
Yeeahhh, I mean.. $25 psqft difference, but i'm sure there is still a large discrepancy in median sales values. And of course, the luxury market in Acton surely brings that metric down. So many 3000 sq ft homes selling between $700-$900.

But I do agree, it's a bit surprising. I have felt pretty good about Billerica's upside over the last few years, between Burlington's growth and the new HS in town.

All that said.. Would anybody really prefer Billerica to Acton?

Old 06-04-2019, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Yeeahhh, I mean.. $25 psqft difference, but i'm sure there is still a large discrepancy in median sales values. And of course, the luxury market in Acton surely brings that metric down. So many 3000 sq ft homes selling between $700-$900.

But I do agree, it's a bit surprising. I have felt pretty good about Billerica's upside over the last few years, between Burlington's growth and the new HS in town.

Ask the people buying homes like this https://www.redfin.com/MA/Billerica/.../home/11419864

A buyer of that home could have similar quality in acton for that price. Buyers don’t want to go to acton. They are voting with their pocket book and picking towns like Billerica over acton shrinking the price gap. At this rate Billerica will exceed acton in a few years.

Old 06-04-2019, 08:40 PM

Acton has no amenities. An Indian coworker told me he doesn’t like acton but likes Chelmsford. Acton was too rural and he didn’t like the lack of shops.

For example what if you come home late and don’t feel like making dinner for the family and just want to pick up some chipotle. There is no freaking chipotle anywhere near acton what a joke. They don’t even have the basics there. Forget about locally owned non chain places they don’t have those either.

As much as I like unique local non chain restaurants I require close proximity to basic staples like sbux,Dunkin, Panera, chipotle, etc. acton freaking sucks in this department.

Isn’t the nearest Whole Foods in westford? And they have no wegmans anywhere near there.

Old 06-04-2019, 10:15 PM

2,710 posts, read 1,728,576 times
Quote:
Acton has no amenities. An Indian coworker told me he doesn’t like acton but likes Chelmsford. Acton was too rural and he didn’t like the lack of shops.

For example what if you come home late and don’t feel like making dinner for the family and just want to pick up some chipotle. There is no freaking chipotle anywhere near acton what a joke. They don’t even have the basics there. Forget about locally owned non chain places they don’t have those either.

As much as I like unique local non chain restaurants I require close proximity to basic staples like sbux,Dunkin, Panera, chipotle, etc. acton freaking sucks in this department.

Isn’t the nearest Whole Foods in westford? And they have no wegmans anywhere near there.
I LoL'd at this cause my wife asked me to defrost meat this morning, but didn't feel like cooking and brought home Chipotle!! It was B1G1 free for nurses today.

Old 06-05-2019, 06:27 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,135,205 times
Quote:
Ignoring commutes, no.

Old 06-05-2019, 06:35 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,135,205 times
Quote:
By this metric, you should be a Marlborough bull.

People don't buy in Acton for access to chain restaurants, and you know this. It's about schools + express train to high wage Camberville jobs. Acton has plenty of amenities both within and nearby; however, none of them quite compare to amateur night at Mac Twos ... did they ever get their liq-license back?

Old 06-05-2019, 06:38 AM

24,555 posts, read 18,225,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix5k View Post
I LoL'd at this cause my wife asked me to defrost meat this morning, but didn't feel like cooking and brought home Chipotle!! It was B1G1 free for nurses today.

Nurse. Hmmm... So you're at least up on treating Chipotle-induced e coli infections?

People need to get to work. An awful lot of people are rating proximity to the office over everything else. With the low birth rates among white collar workers, the gold plated school system is less important. Until metro Boston gets nailed with a big recession, the gentrification march of the former working class towns inside 495 will continue. It's tough to predict what will happen in a recession. The S&L meltdown in 1989/1990 crushed those towns. Hard to guess whether that might happen again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts