Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 05:24 AM

45 posts, read 180,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee~35 View Post
Oh, & badluck... How could I have overlooked such an intellectual post!? I can go entirely on what you chose to name yourself & say a thing or two to you about glass houses.
So then say it. I wasnt claiming to be intellectual or pithy or cool-I leave that to professional blues musician types. The bottom line is you have insecurities about money and status that go all the way back to high school and you havent let go of them. My unsolicited advice is to let go of the past and get over it. I dont live in a glass house-thats for passive aggressive types that threaten to say things and then dont.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:01 AM

35 posts, read 82,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badluck View Post
So then say it. I wasnt claiming to be intellectual or pithy or cool-I leave that to professional blues musician types. The bottom line is you have insecurities about money and status that go all the way back to high school and you havent let go of them. My unsolicited advice is to let go of the past and get over it. I dont live in a glass house-thats for passive aggressive types that threaten to say things and then dont.

& How would anyone endeavor to do that w/out talking about it?

Seems you are so insecure about how others may perceive your home state that you'd prefer to squelch any discussion of it.
Lame. Pull your head out of your butt. You have no idea what I was like in high school. I went to the senior prom when I was a freshman. Last time I checked, that didn't happen much to nerdy girls.

I'm also not the only person in here who has noticed such a thing.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:14 AM

5,835 posts, read 5,201,045 times
Hi Dee. Wish things didn't have to get so heated when people voice their opinions. We have lived in Lexington and Concord Ma. and the kids do not typically wear designer anything as they are mostly in sweats 99% of the time, girls included. We also lived in Southern California most of our lives in a fairly well to do area where parents would buy their girls $150 designer jeans for school. It was usually the younger parents that participated in the designer wars trying to look like their kids and be as cool as possible. New rich or wanna be rich were always gross to watch. That is something I have not experienced here at all where people are very wealthy but don't seem to wear it or drive it and you would never know until you go to their homes and are blown away! As far as snobby....just taking my dogs for a walk I always get good mornings from everyone I pass or even "Isn't it a beautiful day"? Never got that in So Ca. I love how casual it is here but in a classic way, not torn blue jeans. But that's just my experience.

Old 04-16-2008, 09:13 AM

278 posts, read 1,063,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
Hi Dee. Wish things didn't have to get so heated when people voice their opinions. We have lived in Lexington and Concord Ma. and the kids do not typically wear designer anything as they are mostly in sweats 99% of the time, girls included. We also lived in Southern California most of our lives in a fairly well to do area where parents would buy their girls $150 designer jeans for school. It was usually the younger parents that participated in the designer wars trying to look like their kids and be as cool as possible. New rich or wanna be rich were always gross to watch. That is something I have not experienced here at all where people are very wealthy but don't seem to wear it or drive it and you would never know until you go to their homes and are blown away! As far as snobby....just taking my dogs for a walk I always get good mornings from everyone I pass or even "Isn't it a beautiful day"? Never got that in So Ca. I love how casual it is here but in a classic way, not torn blue jeans. But that's just my experience.

I agree with Puffle.
I did not grow up in MA, but I think I understand what you are talking about. There are some towns here with a high level of snob factor, but like others have suggested, that can be found wherever you go. My experiences here have been that if you are a positive, confident person, you will have no problems. People are mostly laid back, often even the rich ones you might assume to be snobs! Just be yourself; you seem cool to me.

Old 04-16-2008, 09:55 AM

45 posts, read 180,884 times
Read my post. Where did I say I knew anything about who you were in high school? Let me put my original post in another way.

Gee- that stinks that you feel that way about where you grew up. Im sure things are better there now (at least I hope so LOL) You seem like an awesome person and Ill bet that if those snobs from high school looked in the mirror they wouldnt like who they see. When are people going to get tha it's not about the clothes you wear, it's about who you are inside and Ill bet you are just totally awesome inside. Dont let the snobs get you down and let me know if you make it back to MA and we can go for a scone or frozen yogurt sometime and Ill prove that the snobs are in the minority.
Coombiah...
BTW-im not a snob...I just dont like whiners
P.S. to the professional blues musician....get a job man (just kidding hope someone here can take a joke)

Old 04-16-2008, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Read my post. Where did I say I knew anything about who you were in high school? Let me put my original post in another way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by badluck
lighten up and let go of the past...you werent cool and werent rich...get over it.
It's pretty clear by your own words that you were trying to take a cheap shot at who I was at high school age.

I may have left town at a young age, but my impression of the area was not just from school. I did not live at the school.

Quote:
BTW-im not a snob...I just dont like whiners
Then why pick that username?

So, you pride yourself on leveling personal attacks at people who may or may not disagree with your vision of where you live?
After all, my original post stated that I wanted to be wrong.
I even stated that some of my family members have that old Massachusetts snooty attitude about them... It does exist. But, then snobbery can certainly exist anywhere.

I should still be able to spark a discussion about it... But not according to badluck, you must think like badluck, or be called names.

I just got off the phone with my aunt. Ironically, just like some of the other members in here.. She knew exactly what I was talking about. She said that things have changed a bit since those days.

Old 04-16-2008, 11:41 AM

Thanks to others who have participated in this discussion. I appreciate your posts, even if you came in to disagree. It's amazing what people can accomplish when they don't attack each other.

Old 04-16-2008, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilou View Post
I agree with Puffle.
I did not grow up in MA, but I think I understand what you are talking about. There are some towns here with a high level of snob factor, but like others have suggested, that can be found wherever you go. My experiences here have been that if you are a positive, confident person, you will have no problems. People are mostly laid back, often even the rich ones you might assume to be snobs! Just be yourself; you seem cool to me.
I don't think any of them were rich. I had a job as a personal assistant for awhile for someone who could be considered rich. They were way more relaxed than those folks were. They even wore ripped up jeans. (which I kind of like, puffle )

What I recall from the town I used to reside in was much more self conscious than that. I'd get harassed for wearing the same shirt twice in a week. That sort of thing. I recall very much keeping up w/the Joneses type of behavior.

Once again, it has been pointed out numerous times that it can occur anywhere.

I seem to remember a concentrated amount of it. So does my aunt.
I think maybe the Bush economy has put a stop to some of that silliness... Equalized many of us in it's path.

Old 04-16-2008, 11:58 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,648,400 times
In my opinion there is snobbery here, but you can also find it anywhere. One of the things I find different here than other places is the elitism. I find that some people just think they are smarter, MA is more progressive (I don't always think so-called progressive is a good thing), and that they are better off than anyone else. They just have the opinion that no place will or could be better than Massachusetts or New England. Don't get me wrong, I want people to have pride and be happy where they live, but I don't like it when people think anyone outside of I-495 aren't as important or people who live in other states are hicks, not as intelligent, or don't have it as well as people who live around metro Boston.

Old 04-16-2008, 12:40 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,627,242 times
Snobbery is not geographical, it depends on people. I grew up in MA and always thought people in MA were cold. In general, MA is a fast paced place and people are reserved. I live in CA now and people are much more laid back but you're going to get snobby people everywhere. A lot of it stems from people with low self esteem who put on an act thinking it makes them look special and above others by doing so when in fact it doesn't. Parents who are into material things usually retire broke despite making high enough incomes to spoil their kids and themselves. Their are people like that everywhere. They're called phonies. Most successful people are frugal and don't keep up with the Jones's like the people you're describing.

Last edited by RLCMA; 04-16-2008 at 01:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts