U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-22-2019, 09:42 PM
 
2,218 posts, read 3,808,899 times
Reputation: 1735

Advertisements

This is probably just a dream, and we don't live in Massachusetts any longer but we would love to return.
Being accessible to Boston is number one in priority. By accessible, I mean that you could drive in to go to the Symphony , for example, in under an hour. We visit, and I attended college and graduate school and lived there years ago, in Boston, Dorchester, Brighton, etc. and I know all about the traffic. Now we are retired and do not want to live in an apartment or condominium. We would like to buy a house on excellent condition, all ready to move in, that has 2 bedrooms and we wonder if it's at all possible to get a house all set and ready to go for $400K. We can pay more but don't want to. The closer to Boston, where it's at, the better. But $400K makes that impossible, right? $500K? More? Thank you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-23-2019, 06:08 AM
 
70 posts, read 32,373 times
Reputation: 103
What about this one? $349k https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5...59114777_zpid/

However I wouldn’t say it’s a very good neighborhood.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2019, 08:25 AM
 
28 posts, read 20,543 times
Reputation: 29
Outside the city https://www.redfin.com/MA/Braintree/...4/home/8857766
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2019, 08:56 AM
 
Location: Boston, MA
91 posts, read 77,436 times
Reputation: 102
I second buying in Braintree. My co-worker was born and raised in Southie, she's retiring next year and moved to Braintree a few years ago because it's more suburban and because it's affordable. She quite happy there and definitely plans to stay for her retirement. As far as being accessible to Boston, she takes the Red Line to work in Cambridge everyday, so yes, getting to Boston is a breeze.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2019, 09:57 AM
 
2,218 posts, read 3,808,899 times
Reputation: 1735
Quote:
Originally Posted by imperi33 View Post
What about this one? $349k https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5...59114777_zpid/

However I wouldn’t say it’s a very good neighborhood.
Thanks. But, super depressing photo. Yikes. Would never live there. But I still don't mean to not be appreciative. It's an incredible price in Boston, isn't it? However, not a happy looking place...we live in a nice area now, hope to stay living in a pleasant area.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2019, 10:01 AM
 
2,218 posts, read 3,808,899 times
Reputation: 1735
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcav View Post
That is such a low price for a (small) house in (safe, liveable) Braintree! I had no idea you could get a decent house there for that price! Unbelievable. My friend lives there now! (I know that area, having lived on the South Shore, among other places.) Yes, it's terrifically convenient to Boston. Thank you for the link and suggestion! I thought Braintree was mid 600's for anything decent.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2019, 10:03 AM
 
2,218 posts, read 3,808,899 times
Reputation: 1735
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoLo4444 View Post
I second buying in Braintree. My co-worker was born and raised in Southie, she's retiring next year and moved to Braintree a few years ago because it's more suburban and because it's affordable. She quite happy there and definitely plans to stay for her retirement. As far as being accessible to Boston, she takes the Red Line to work in Cambridge everyday, so yes, getting to Boston is a breeze.
My friend who was born and raised in Braintree and lives there now told me a lot of people have moved in from Southie. Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2019, 05:39 PM
 
18,474 posts, read 10,399,302 times
Reputation: 32824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Anne View Post
By accessible, I mean that you could drive in to go to the Symphony , for example, in under an hour.


<snip>


and we wonder if it's at all possible to get a house all set and ready to go for $400K. We can pay more but don't want to. The closer to Boston, where it's at, the better. But $400K makes that impossible, right? $500K? More? Thank you.

What day of the week do you want to go to the Symphony? You can be 50 miles out and easily do a Saturday subscription with less than an hour drive to the Christian Science lot. Midweek, car access to Boston is painful. I used to have a Tuesday BSO subscription when I lived in Portsmouth NH before the Great Recession. I can't imagine driving in now. There would be an awful lot of 90 minute drives.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2019, 06:29 PM
 
2,218 posts, read 3,808,899 times
Reputation: 1735
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
What day of the week do you want to go to the Symphony? You can be 50 miles out and easily do a Saturday subscription with less than an hour drive to the Christian Science lot. Midweek, car access to Boston is painful. I used to have a Tuesday BSO subscription when I lived in Portsmouth NH before the Great Recession. I can't imagine driving in now. There would be an awful lot of 90 minute drives.
I know! Midweek would be possible only via public transportation.
The traffic in the metropolitan Boston area has become unrecognizable to me since I lived there. And I lived there for 25 years.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2019, 02:36 PM
 
18,474 posts, read 10,399,302 times
Reputation: 32824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Anne View Post
I know! Midweek would be possible only via public transportation.
The traffic in the metropolitan Boston area has become unrecognizable to me since I lived there. And I lived there for 25 years.

What would you be doing with your time as a retiree other than making use of Boston?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top