Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2019, 08:18 AM

1,505 posts, read 1,091,559 times

Advertisements

How do you define commutable? If you plan on driving and getting in early and leaving late you can be anywhere. You cannot use public transportation from Lexington and have a commute <60 minutes.

Many towns fit what you're looking for - can you be more specific about what you need in a property?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2019, 10:00 AM

4,235 posts, read 3,678,634 times
I found Lexington to be overpriced for what it offered. It has no train, is further to get downtown than I wanted, and many parts are not particularly walkable. It is a very nice town, has a wonderful town center, and seems to have a good community feel. I think it is a great place for kids. But after looking, I found Newton, Needham, Wellesley, Winchester, Arlington, Belmont, and even Melrose to be preferable to Lexington.

Old 08-29-2019, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkone View Post
Lexington is to Nashua, NH in this region as Westport, CT is to Danbury, CT in yours. Just to give you a frame of reference.
I don't understand how Nashua, NH is relevant to this discussion.

Old 08-29-2019, 10:11 AM

18,630 posts, read 33,198,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
I don't understand how Nashua, NH is relevant to this discussion.
I think to show CT residents how much fancier Lexington is to Nashua. No comparison at all.

Old 08-29-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I think to show CT residents how much fancier Lexington is to Nashua. No comparison at all.
I still don't understand how Nashua is relevant. Is there another thread that I didn't see?

Old 08-29-2019, 12:54 PM

134 posts, read 217,211 times
OP - I live in Lexington and I commute to financial district for many years from Lexington. It's doable (drive to Alewife then South Station or drive directly to financial district), but it's not short/fast and getting in/out of the parking lot in Alewife can be painful. As other mentioned, there are other great towns that offer much better access to Boston (Newton and Brookline comes to mind). Lexington is a great place to live in but have to say commute-wise there are better options out there.

Most kids in town go to public school, which is one of the main reasons why families settle down in Lexington in the first place. If you are thinking of private school, my suggestion to you is to figure out a few target private schools (there are plenty excellent choices in Metro Boston), then figure out where to live from there.

Happy to help if you have more detail questions.

Old 08-29-2019, 01:35 PM

4,998 posts, read 3,849,960 times
Quote:
I still don't understand how Nashua is relevant. Is there another thread that I didn't see?
It was an X is to Y, as A is to B scenario.. The posters intent, I think, was to show that going from Danbury to Lexington is like going from a Honda to a Lexus.

Not sure that's even true, but that was the idea. No other thread ever mentioned Nashua, or that comparison.

Old 08-29-2019, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
It was an X is to Y, as A is to B scenario.. The posters intent, I think, was to show that going from Danbury to Lexington is like going from a Honda to a Lexus.

Not sure that's even true, but that was the idea. No other thread ever mentioned Nashua, or that comparison.
I understand that, but I did not see anything that indicated the OP was familiar with Nashua. OP indicated Connecticut, so I understand CT, but if they are not moving to or working in Nashua, and did not ask how areas compared to Nashua, I don't understand. It would be like me comparing Lexington to Lincolnshire, IL.

Old 08-29-2019, 07:54 PM

73 posts, read 61,157 times
Lexington is not a lacrosse or field hockey town for sports. Never have been, never will be.

Old 08-30-2019, 01:56 PM

4,998 posts, read 3,849,960 times
Quote:
It would be like me comparing Lexington to Lincolnshire, IL.
Very rarely do I actually laugh out loud on this website, but that did it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts