U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2019, 09:07 AM

558 posts, read 585,459 times

Advertisements

For the record, the vast majority of Hingham parents I've met are super down to earth and friendly. They have a great school system and most parents just want the best for their kids. Hingham is a cute town right on the water with a nice downtown area, lots of amenities at Derby and the Shipyard, multiple commuting options (commuter rail, ferry, the bus even goes to Hingham from Quincy), and a great school system. So of course it's going to be a desirable town for those looking for all the quintessential New England things and a healthy budget. You don't have to have white lights at Christmas, everybody in town isn't pretentious. Yes, there are those types, but no more than you'll find in most other Boston 'burbs.

I wouldn't recommend Duxbury to anybody commuting to Boston, even though it's a great town.

To the OP, if being close to the water is important to you, I think Hingham or Cohasset would fit the bill of everything you're looking for. If proximity to beaches isn't important, look west. Or just drive around the Metrowest 'burbs and see how you feel about them. We knew quickly the Metrowest wasn't for us, you might find the same thing once you explore both areas--one just might just feel more like home to you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2019, 09:12 AM

188 posts, read 206,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfieMama View Post
For the record, the vast majority of Hingham parents I've met are super down to earth and friendly. They have a great school system and most parents just want the best for their kids. Hingham is a cute town right on the water with a nice downtown area, lots of amenities at Derby and the Shipyard, multiple commuting options (commuter rail, ferry, the bus even goes to Hingham from Quincy), and a great school system. So of course it's going to be a desirable town for those looking for all the quintessential New England things and a healthy budget. You don't have to have white lights at Christmas, everybody in town isn't pretentious. Yes, there are those types, but no more than you'll find in most other Boston 'burbs.

I wouldn't recommend Duxbury to anybody commuting to Boston, even though it's a great town.

To the OP, if being close to the water is important to you, I think Hingham or Cohasset would fit the bill of everything you're looking for. If proximity to beaches isn't important, look west. Or just drive around the Metrowest 'burbs and see how you feel about them. We knew quickly the Metrowest wasn't for us, you might find the same thing once you explore both areas--one just might just feel more like home to you.
Living in the area, I cannot agree more...

Old 09-18-2019, 09:20 AM

2,667 posts, read 797,925 times
I work with 3 people from duxbury who commute in everyday. They don’t seem to think it’s that bad.

Old 09-18-2019, 09:31 AM

188 posts, read 206,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
I work with 3 people from duxbury who commute in everyday. They don’t seem to think it’s that bad.
It is not a commute that everybody would like to have daily. If one can work from home at least a day in the week, it is much better.
Realistically, you need to drive very early in the morning or after rush hour. Coming back home can be a problem.
For public transportation: it takes about 15-20 minutes to get to Kingston station.
The trip from Kingston to South Station is 1 hour.
So, depending on where you work in Boston, it can be less than 1.5 hours even by commuter rail.
If one works at the South Station area:
The commute from Hingham is 35 minutes + time to get to the station (lets say 5-15minutes), roughly 50 minutes door-to-door
From Cohasset: 45 minutes + time to get to the station (5-10 minutes), roughly 60 minutes door-to-door
From Duxbury: 1 hour + 15-20 minutes, roughly 80 minutes door-to-door

Old 09-18-2019, 11:55 AM

558 posts, read 585,459 times
I did the commute from Duxbury to Back Bay for about 3 months and it was life-zapping (nearly 2 hours each way). And that was when I was in my early twenties, no kids, and lots of energy. If I had to do that commute now, I'd never see my kids. And I'd cry a lot.

Old 09-18-2019, 12:35 PM

47 posts, read 30,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
It seems being deluded about the commute into Boston and using only the proper little white lights during the holidays are pre-requisites for living in Hingham.

To clarify, the earlier point about traffic was in response to the MetroWest being easier for getting to Logan. As my spouse and I both travel for work, we were expecting it to be awful from Hingham and have been pleasantly surprised that it's consistently 45 minutes or less - worse case an hour - unless trying to drive in for a morning flight - which is awful. (as it would be from nearly anywhere). For daily commute the Ferry or train would be the way to go. Note: we have lived outside LA so while the morning traffic bites, the afternoon and evening is far better in comparison.

Will let you know if we get kicked out with our colored lights and blow up snowman at the holidays.

Old 09-18-2019, 07:05 PM

12,133 posts, read 9,518,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
As I said in an earlier post, consumers vote with their wallets. So, there must be something that the majority of people find appealing about Metrowest that makes the home prices in many of the towns higher than Hingham.

Not everyone has the same preferences and certainly not everyone lives the same life. So, some towns are going to work better for some people and their preferences may run contrary to the majority.
I think it's convenience to 128 area jobs (Needham, Waltham, Lexington, Bedford, Burlington, Natick, Framingham), that gives Metrowest its high desirability; more so than access to the city.

Old 09-19-2019, 06:35 AM

755 posts, read 974,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I think it's convenience to 128 area jobs (Needham, Waltham, Lexington, Bedford, Burlington, Natick, Framingham), that gives Metrowest its high desirability; more so than access to the city.
This. There are a ton of companies out that way, much more so than going either north or south. The Pike is a straight shots in and out of Boston depending on traffic. 128 not so much a straight shot but it connects to roads which are.

Old 09-19-2019, 06:40 AM

1,212 posts, read 615,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camj70 View Post
Will let you know if we get kicked out with our colored lights and blow up snowman at the holidays.
Friends who moved to Hingham were spoken to by their neighbors about this very thing. YMMV...

Old 09-19-2019, 07:06 AM

8,248 posts, read 12,446,507 times
I know someone who had their Frosty kidnapped and not returned until mid January because a neighbor thought it was tacky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts