U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2019, 08:19 PM

93 posts, read 37,933 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody!

Thank you for all your comments and thoughts in my previous posts! We are still in the midst of the house hunt and we are trying to figure out the best combination of value for the money and still be a nice place to live. Commutes are to Providence area (Johnston to be specific) and Worcester. This may change in the future but for now that's what we're looking at. We appreciate straight-forward/easy access to 495, even if it isn't necessarily two minutes away, for easy access to other areas should job situations change in the future. Our realtor suggested this home in Bellingham and we'll be taking a look at it this Sunday (in case the link is deleted, the home is located at 26 Little Tree Lane)

https://www.estately.com/listings/in...tle-tree-ln--1

I have always been leery of Bellingham as it has never seemed all that nice to me, but I'm wondering if anybody has any experience with the town and can offer thoughts/opinions. We are DINKs with two dogs and combined income around $185,000.

Appreciate any and all comments!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2019, 08:36 PM

13,607 posts, read 10,304,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieCFan View Post
Hello everybody!

Thank you for all your comments and thoughts in my previous posts! We are still in the midst of the house hunt and we are trying to figure out the best combination of value for the money and still be a nice place to live. Commutes are to Providence area (Johnston to be specific) and Worcester. This may change in the future but for now that's what we're looking at. We appreciate straight-forward/easy access to 495, even if it isn't necessarily two minutes away, for easy access to other areas should job situations change in the future. Our realtor suggested this home in Bellingham and we'll be taking a look at it this Sunday (in case the link is deleted, the home is located at 26 Little Tree Lane)

https://www.estately.com/listings/in...tle-tree-ln--1

I have always been leery of Bellingham as it has never seemed all that nice to me, but I'm wondering if anybody has any experience with the town and can offer thoughts/opinions. We are DINKs with two dogs and combined income around $185,000.

Appreciate any and all comments!
That place looks fine, just that it's in the less desirable end of town and a little bit of a drive to the highway (although it would be a pretty easy drive to Johnston via. back roads to 99 and 295). North Bellingham is nicer though if you can find anything there.

My impression of Bellingham is very average, nothing remarkably good or bad about it. This is a somewhat uppity forum that looks down on "average", but at the end of the day Bellingham beats Milford or Marlborough (and certainly Woonsocket).

Old 09-11-2019, 08:53 PM

93 posts, read 37,933 times
Thank you for the feedback! Not being too familiar with different parts of Bellingham, I took a drive by today and checked out the area - it seemed OK but wondering how you feel it compares to the northern part of town? That would be the area closer to Milford and Medway and maybe part of Franklin? It is definitely a little bit of a drive to 495 but it seemed pretty straightforward to me which is a plus as far as that goes.

And yes, agree about Woonsocket for sure and the parts of Bellingham that border it, that is a stretch of Bellingham that I certainly am not a fan of. I also have found some of the neighborhoods off 126 kind of near Medway I think to be pretty tired and a bit run-down looking.

One thing I liked about this property in particular is that there is no parallel side street running behind Little Tree Lane off of I think it is South Main Street ... the wooded areas all seem to be part of larger home lots that are on South Main itself. So probably very little to no chance it would ever be anything other than woods.

Old 09-11-2019, 10:49 PM

7,080 posts, read 2,810,226 times
I have friends that live close by off Elm Street on a very nice cul de sac with large houses and 1 acre lots. They have been there 15+ years and seem to like the town. They also have no kids so they had no interaction with the school system.

This part of Bellingham is an easy commute to Johnston down Rtes 126/99/295. You can bypass downtown going straight through the light at Crooks Corner (by CVS) and go by the New England Country Club and go straight through the light at Diamond Hill Road (Rte 114) eventually coming out close to the start of Rte 99 (in front of CVS HQ). For Worcester it isn't bad either as you would most likely take Elm St west toward Rte 146.

Old 09-12-2019, 06:30 AM

8,418 posts, read 12,746,591 times
Bellingham is a common destination for those priced out of Franklin. massnative71 is correct when he says the southern end of town is not nearly as desirable as the area near Medway.

The house looks perfect for you guys. The dogs would love the fenced-in yard. The neighborhood looks well-kept. It has to be a better choice than Milford.

Old 09-12-2019, 09:33 AM

86 posts, read 50,247 times
"It has to be a better choice than Milford"

Care to elaborate, Casey? Other than ethnic diversity, the real estate prices/values and income levels are largely the same and Bellingham certainly isn't any "prettier" of a town.

Old 09-12-2019, 10:06 AM

13,607 posts, read 10,304,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillRunForBeer View Post
"It has to be a better choice than Milford"

Care to elaborate, Casey? Other than ethnic diversity, the real estate prices/values and income levels are largely the same and Bellingham certainly isn't any "prettier" of a town.
No they are not the same, at all. Totally different animals.

Old 09-12-2019, 11:19 AM

From this very site:

Median HH income-Bellingham $78,017, Milford $71,221
Median home value-Bellingham $265,397, Milford $289,866

Milford is certainly a larger town, but besides ethnic diversity they're pretty damn similar, and in fact share many of the same amenities seeing as they border one another.

Must be that terrible housing stock...
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-45921?view=qv
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-81122?view=qv
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-51909?view=qv

Old 09-12-2019, 11:44 AM

And to the OP, that looks like a pretty nice house that would split the difference for your commuting pretty well. The only real drawback was already brought up-that the location makes getting to 495 a bit less convenient. Given your current commutes that likely isn't an issue right now but if one of you eventually needs to go east for work, that will be more challenging.

Old 09-13-2019, 03:13 AM

2,748 posts, read 813,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieCFan View Post

Years ago a manager told me I better get married or else I'll only be able to buy a house in Bellingham. Not sure what he meant. I did neither.

Go to the place you're interested in and drive around and check it out. Take your dogs for walks there and see if you like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts