Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2019, 06:26 PM

7 posts, read 8,269 times

Advertisements

Could folks enlighten me on Westwood neighborhoods? Westwood is on our short list to settle down into, and we've gone to a few open houses and gotten a nice neighborhood feel in general. But houses on the east side vs "central" Westwood have a very different feel about them.

The only feedback we have gotten is that the Maze is a very family friendly neighborhood, which is important to us. But houses there seem to be either tiny, or new construction that are out of our budget.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2019, 08:54 PM

7,920 posts, read 7,805,758 times
My mother came from Islington. Although there's been some development it's still very much as it was before. I think that the best part about it is that it can feel a bit isolated and private but at the same point it's so close to Boston.

Old 11-19-2019, 05:56 AM

3,207 posts, read 2,113,433 times
It's a lovely town which a car will be needed to get anywhere. And when I say anywhere, I mean out of Westwood because there is not much of anything in Westwood as far as grocery, entertainment, dining...

Old 11-19-2019, 06:39 AM

23,556 posts, read 18,651,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
It's a lovely town which a car will be needed to get anywhere. And when I say anywhere, I mean out of Westwood because there is not much of anything in Westwood as far as grocery, entertainment, dining...
Unless you live by the new Wegman's area, or right in Islington where you have Roche Bros. and the 34E bus line. Certainly wouldn't be ideal without a vehicle though, to say the least.

Old 11-19-2019, 09:41 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,121,188 times
The main parts of Westwood along 109 and down Clapboardtree/Gay St are generally perceived as the "nicer" parts of town by some people who live in Westwood.

Islington is a great location due to its access to 1) commuter rail if you work in Boston (Route 128 and Dedham Corp Center stations), 2) restaurants (big chains at Legacy Place, smaller places down Rt 1A), 3) shopping (Legacy Place again and University Ave plaza).

Agree that within Westwood's own borders, there isn't much more than housing. The entire town is family friendly because of this as most people live there because of the schools.

What kind of house are you looking for?

Old 11-19-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplexsimon View Post
The main parts of Westwood along 109 and down Clapboardtree/Gay St are generally perceived as the "nicer" parts of town by some people who live in Westwood.

Islington is a great location due to its access to 1) commuter rail if you work in Boston (Route 128 and Dedham Corp Center stations), 2) restaurants (big chains at Legacy Place, smaller places down Rt 1A), 3) shopping (Legacy Place again and University Ave plaza).

Agree that within Westwood's own borders, there isn't much more than housing. The entire town is family friendly because of this as most people live there because of the schools.

What kind of house are you looking for?
Generally, we'd like 4 bed/2.5 bath 2,500 +/- sqft with something of a yard (swingset, running around, etc). Budget is up to $1M but would prefer to be $850k or below. Happy to put some work into it, but we are looking for something move in ready with potential to improve over time.

The most important thing to us right now (aside from schools) is the ability to be close to restaurants, shops, grocery stores, etc. We are moving from the South End and don't know if we could move into the sleepier parts of Westwood. Because of this, spots along 128 and near Dedham are more appealing to us from a location perspective.

Old 11-19-2019, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfoley85 View Post
Generally, we'd like 4 bed/2.5 bath 2,500 +/- sqft with something of a yard (swingset, running around, etc). Budget is up to $1M but would prefer to be $850k or below. Happy to put some work into it, but we are looking for something move in ready with potential to improve over time.

The most important thing to us right now (aside from schools) is the ability to be close to restaurants, shops, grocery stores, etc. We are moving from the South End and don't know if we could move into the sleepier parts of Westwood. Because of this, spots along 128 and near Dedham are more appealing to us from a location perspective.
You'll still need a car, but Islington could be a good fit.

You'll need to be a little patient as there isn't much inventory, especially now. Take a look at houses that have sold in the last year. Do they meet your criteria?

I think it's doable.

Old 11-19-2019, 11:09 AM

3,207 posts, read 2,113,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfoley85 View Post
Westwood is not that.

Old 11-19-2019, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplexsimon View Post
You'll still need a car, but Islington could be a good fit.

You'll need to be a little patient as there isn't much inventory, especially now. Take a look at houses that have sold in the last year. Do they meet your criteria?

I think it's doable.
Yea, we are targeting the spring market. We have kept an eye on the inventory over the past year -- it certainly has fewer homes available than, say, Natick, but there have been a handful that meet the criteria in the $850-$950k range. We are resigned to having cars as both my wife and I work along 128 and have to drive. We would just like access to some comforts that we are used to in the city, and the Islington/Canton Ave area of Westwood seems to offer good access to this.

Old 11-19-2019, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
Westwood is not that.
If you live in the right spot you can have access to all those things in other towns and get the good schools and a decent price compared to having it all in a town like Needham.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts