U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2019, 11:07 AM

2,666 posts, read 797,925 times

Advertisements

Well here we are.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2019, 12:17 PM

2,694 posts, read 1,634,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
<sarcasm>Yes, who could see problems with government forcing birth control on specific communities, especially of people of color? That has worked ethically and well in the past.</sarcasm>

No fashionably red arm bands for you.

Old 12-06-2019, 12:44 PM

38,460 posts, read 28,449,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
No fashionably red arm bands for you.

That's ok, I'm an autumn.

Old 12-06-2019, 03:46 PM

632 posts, read 236,323 times
Gangs are still a thing?

Old 12-06-2019, 04:07 PM

22,326 posts, read 21,417,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix5k View Post
Gangs are still a thing?
Apparently so.

Back 20 years ago when I worked in a school close to Holyoke, we would see graffiti from the Latin Kings scrawled on the sides of the building when we went there in the morning. "Be careful Wednesday afternoon. ----Latin Kings" or "You will not survive if you go outside the building on Friday. ----Latin Kings." All sorts of threats and the janitors would have to scrape it off the building and we'd be in lock down all day. If there are still any in Holyoke, I hope they got them too.

Old 12-06-2019, 05:11 PM

8,248 posts, read 12,444,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix5k View Post
Gangs are still a thing?
You never heard of MS-13?

Old 12-06-2019, 06:32 PM

1,295 posts, read 2,673,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Apparently so.

Back 20 years ago when I worked in a school close to Holyoke, we would see graffiti from the Latin Kings scrawled on the sides of the building when we went there in the morning. "Be careful Wednesday afternoon. ----Latin Kings" or "You will not survive if you go outside the building on Friday. ----Latin Kings." All sorts of threats and the janitors would have to scrape it off the building and we'd be in lock down all day. If there are still any in Holyoke, I hope they got them too.
This is a straight up lie. None of this even remotely true, can you make up any more of a ridiculous story.

Old 12-06-2019, 06:54 PM

12,102 posts, read 9,513,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I think Latino mayors and police officers could offer not only hope and inspiration but get a better beat on things going on locally so we don't need Andrew Lelling every couple months.
Years back Brockton PD did an outreach with the local (think it was actually Cape Verdean community, but similar issues to PR in that sense). Anyways, one of the main gripes of the evening was their lack of representation in the department. The chief asked all the young men in the room how many had taken the recent civil service exam. Not one hand went up.

This is a complicated problem with no simple answer, but it's pretty clear that change has to come from within the community.

Old 12-06-2019, 08:59 PM

22,326 posts, read 21,417,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Apparently so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by western mass and love it View Post
This is a straight up lie. None of this even remotely true, can you make up any more of a ridiculous story.
Wow. Why would I make up a lie? I will not give the name of the school I taught at but I am not lying and there is no reason why I would. It's also the one and only time I have ever heard of the Latin Kings. I would go to school in the morning and in dark black (paint?) scrawled onto the brick front of the building not too far from the front door would be such words, such threats. Due to those threats, the school would be in lock down mode and we had police stationed near the front door and some of the people who worked in the front office would walk around the building during the day looking into the classrooms and even vacant back rooms to make sure everything was all right.

No, I am not quoting exactly what they wrote on the walls because I don't have a photographic memory, but it was on that idea: that you should watch out if you want to play sports outside on Thursday or Watch out for us if you plan on going out on the playground. We will get you. Signed, The Latin Kings. There was a rival gang too that I think left messages but I can't remember their name. Since I had never heard of the Latin Kings, I asked and was told that they were a gang from Holyoke. No, I don't remember who I asked, probably the school principal. He was always going around getting knives out of the lockers so he is probably the person I would have gone to.

Just because you weren't there to see it doesn't mean it didn't happen. And probably anyone who arrived at our school after about 10am wouldn't have seen it either because the janitors were out there wiping it off (somehow.) Why do you question this? I am curious.

Old 12-06-2019, 09:05 PM

7,470 posts, read 3,050,886 times
This stuff is ridiculous, period. No reason it has to be a part of Massachusetts. We can and should be doing better. In_newengland’s story and other stories told on here SHOULD be a lie but they aren’t. Because in some parts of our state that’s fairly normal and predictable. That’s unacceptable. It doesn’t just have to be that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or