U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2019, 07:35 PM

1,308 posts, read 1,066,120 times

Advertisements

https://www.boston.com/cars/politics...xpanding-tolls

There are a few bills that went in front of the Joint Committee on Transportation to increase the state's ability to raise revenue, toll and introduce congestion charges. There are obviously huge traffic and congestion issues in the State but I doubt many of these things will happen any time soon.

Bill S.2062 redefines certain roads (Rt. 2, 93, 95 and 1) to be eligible for tolling with congestion pricing, and would "require MassDOT to develop an equitable statewide tolling system, create incentives for drivers to utilize public transportation, and establish dynamic tolling to address congestion on our roadways in an environmentally responsible way". Not later than July 1, 2020, the department shall develop and begin the implementation of a comprehensive system of tolling on the Metropolitan highway system.

Bill S.2063 would increase rideshare tax by using a percentage instead of a flat $0.20 fee.

Bill S.2060 would "study and report on the feasibility of establishing all-electric tolling along state and interstate highways of the Commonwealth that are not currently subject to a toll. The report shall examine the several options available to the commonwealth to pursue additional tolls, including, but not limited to: (i) placement of all-electronic tolling gantries on roads in the Commonwealth that are not currently tolled; (ii) seeking a federal waiver for the placement of border tolls; (iii) reaching interstate or regional agreements for the placement of additional tolls; and (iv) the commonwealth’s ability to establish border tolls in the event of proposed changes to federal law on interstate highway tolling."

Also on the agenda was a pay per mile fee instead of an increased gas tax. As cars get more efficient or electrified this would be a way of increasing revenue instead of losing it to efficiency.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2019, 05:23 AM

2,158 posts, read 659,836 times
When they voted themselves huge raises. They told us don’t worry there’s plenty of cash to go around...what happened? This is nothing more than a money grab...This is what happens when you have one party rule. No accountability!

Old 12-07-2019, 03:24 PM

434 posts, read 186,082 times
It’s not going to be cheap for me but I think we need this.

The one thing that jumps out to me is “incentivizing people to use public transit” - we have plenty of incentive. I live inside 128 and I am basically stuck in my house by gridlock during long rush hours. The problem is the public transit is already over capacity.

I hope there is forethought to tie these new revenue streams to the build out of the Rail Vision electrified commuter rail service.

Old 12-07-2019, 05:16 PM

832 posts, read 529,101 times
If I'm reading this correctly, every highway in MA would be tolled... with the only alternative being the low frequency, poor scheduled and expensive rail.

Or live in one of the expensive inner suburbs like all good limousines liberals do..

Old 12-07-2019, 05:47 PM

10,804 posts, read 10,752,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugelrex View Post
If I'm reading this correctly, every highway in MA would be tolled... with the only alternative being the low frequency, poor scheduled and expensive rail.

Or live in one of the expensive inner suburbs like all good limousines liberals do..
Lynn, Chelsea, Everett, Brockton, Malden are all notably wealthy

Old 12-07-2019, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Lynn, Chelsea, Everett, Brockton, Malden are all notably wealthy
Given the price of real estate these days in those towns.... compared to the average USA home ... using the term wealthy is not out of reach. And anyway, you would drive on local roads (not highway)to get into boston from those towns.

Old 12-07-2019, 06:10 PM

10,804 posts, read 10,752,144 times
Quote:
Given the price of real estate these days in those towns.... compared to the average USA home ... using the term wealthy is not out of reach. And anyway, you would drive on local roads (not highway)to get into boston from those towns.
The 111 is like 35 minutes and cost s less than $2 from Bellingham Square or take the Orange Line from Malden

Old 12-07-2019, 07:21 PM

434 posts, read 186,082 times
Quote:

You didn’t read it correctly. You didn’t even read when the OP said that it was only Rt. 2, 93, 95 and 1.

SECTION 1. Section 1 of chapter 6C of the general laws, as appearing in the 2014 official edition, is hereby amended by adding, after the words “Ted Williams tunnel” in the definition of “Metropolitan highway system” the following:- , that portion of state highway route 2 and its related ramps, access roads and frontage roads from the Alewife Brook Parkway interchange in Cambridge to and including the interchange with Interstate 95 in Lexington, that portion of Interstate 93 and its related ramps, access roads and frontage roads extending from the southerly terminus of the Central artery to and including the interchange of Interstate 93 and Interstate 95 in Canton, that portion of Interstate 93 and its related ramps, access roads and frontage roads extending from the northerly terminus of the Central artery to and including the interchange of Interstate 93 and Interstate 95 in Reading, Stoneham and Woburn, that portion of Interstate 95 and its related ramps, access roads and frontage roads extending from and including the interchange of Interstate 95 and Interstate 93 in Canton to and including the interchange of Interstate 95 and 93 in Reading, Stoneham and Woburn, and that portion of state highway route 1 and its related ramps, access roads and frontage roads extending from the northerly terminus of the Central artery north area to and including the interchange of Interstate 95 and state highway route 1 in Peabody.

Old 12-08-2019, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BosYuppie View Post
You didn’t read it correctly. You didn’t even read when the OP said that it was only Rt. 2, 93, 95 and 1.

SECTION 1. Section 1 of chapter 6C of the general laws, as appearing in the 2014 official edition, is hereby amended by adding, after the words “Ted Williams tunnel” in the definition of “Metropolitan highway system” the following:- , that portion of state highway route 2 and its related ramps, access roads and frontage roads from the Alewife Brook Parkway interchange in Cambridge to and including the interchange with Interstate 95 in Lexington, that portion of Interstate 93 and its related ramps, access roads and frontage roads extending from the southerly terminus of the Central artery to and including the interchange of Interstate 93 and Interstate 95 in Canton, that portion of Interstate 93 and its related ramps, access roads and frontage roads extending from the northerly terminus of the Central artery to and including the interchange of Interstate 93 and Interstate 95 in Reading, Stoneham and Woburn, that portion of Interstate 95 and its related ramps, access roads and frontage roads extending from and including the interchange of Interstate 95 and Interstate 93 in Canton to and including the interchange of Interstate 95 and 93 in Reading, Stoneham and Woburn, and that portion of state highway route 1 and its related ramps, access roads and frontage roads extending from the northerly terminus of the Central artery north area to and including the interchange of Interstate 95 and state highway route 1 in Peabody.
I was referring to the last section
Bill S.2060. Eventually they WANT to toll all highways.

Old 12-08-2019, 08:13 AM

17,448 posts, read 9,753,318 times
Quote:
I was referring to the last section
Bill S.2060. Eventually they WANT to toll all highways.

Car-dependent rural Western Mass will do a Gilets Jaunes for the same reason.

The right way to fund this is a business-paid commuter tax. Every day an employee commutes, you pay the daily tax. If they telecommute, you don't pay the tax. If you pick a location where employees have to car commute, you pay more than if employees can get there by public transportation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or