Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2008, 07:25 AM

20 posts, read 69,784 times

Advertisements

A new job will be requiring a move to the north shore for my family (2 kids, 3 and 2).

The job is great, but if for some reason it doesn't work out, we'd hate to have bought (and in this market, we'd buy to stay for 10+ years) somewhere that would landlock us out of future job opportunities.

My husband works in Boston, and will be taking the train. I'll be in Marblehead.

Ideally, if we could find a 3-bed house to rent or rent to own, it would be ideal. But I hear the salem schools are in trouble, but we are priced out of Beverly. Our budget is 250K.

Any words of wisdom?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2008, 08:28 AM

4,883 posts, read 13,762,514 times
I wouldn't totally write off Beverly, because it's one of Massachusetts' most socioeconomically mixed communities. The only thing affordable about Prides Crossing and Beverly Farms is the view from the commuter train (LOL) but there are nice neighborhoods in North Beverly and around Montserrat station which might have some properties in that range. But Beverly isn't All That. You could also look in Danvers, Rockport, Rowley, Essex, Nahant, Gloucester, Middleton, and even Swampscott and Ipswich. (The latter two towns, like Beverly, have a reputation for wealth that isn't entirely deserved.)

Old 04-22-2008, 09:09 AM

18,651 posts, read 33,220,601 times
If you see downsides to buying, why would you want to rent to buy? I'm not too familiar with how the deal works, but I think only a small part of your rent goes towards buying, essentially, the owner is giving you a very minimal mortgage. Or something.

Offhand, $250K sounds pretty low, even in this market.
I think renting a condo would make the most sense, as you get a feel for the job and the housing market. At least, that's what I'd consider doing. You can also pick your school district if you're renting.

Old 04-22-2008, 01:08 PM

20 posts, read 69,784 times
Thanks for the input. The rent-to-buy idea takes into consideration that we might find a house we love ... I wouldn't want to be "stuck" in Salem because an ideal commute for me (keeping in mind the 2 kids in daycare) would be 30-45 mins.

Essentially, we want/need to live within a half-hour of my job since I'll be the primary pick up and drop off for day care (whether that daycare is in my home or someone else's.) Should the Marblehead job not work out, another move may need to happen.

I like the condo idea. I'll start looking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts