Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2020, 10:05 AM

21,433 posts, read 12,453,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sal1181 View Post
I for one am shocked at some of the rental prices that I am seeing in places like Lynn, Chelsea and Lawrence. I am seeing 3 bedroom apartments in Lawrence going for $1700-$1800. Lynn $2K for a 3 bedroom. Before purchasing my home almost 2 years ago I was renting a deleaded 2 bedroom apartment in North Andover with 2 kids for only $1000. That was a deal that you rarely see. I lived there for almost 8 years because I was not willing to pay outrageous rent for a 3 bedroom apartment. I know pay a little under $1900 mortgage for a 3 bedroom single family.
Yea its crazy but i see a 3bR for 1295 in Lawrence here: https://www.trulia.com/c/ma/lawrence...43--2000936560

16 3BRs for 1700 or less

this sad apartment 3BR for 1450 in Lowell https://www.trulia.com/p/ma/lowell/2...51--2406487600

1200 for a 4BR in Fitchburg https://www.trulia.com/p/ma/fitchbur...20--1022359378
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2020, 10:05 AM

11,989 posts, read 7,752,380 times
The most? $7,000 for a one bedroom in the up and coming 212 Stuart Street.

The least? $300 for a bedroom in Allston.

I paid $500 a month for a room in a house in Allston last year on roomster. You can find cheaper deals

Old 02-05-2020, 01:24 PM

398 posts, read 262,192 times
$30,000 per month
https://www.bostonmagazine.com/prope...ive-apartment/

Old 02-12-2020, 08:22 AM

15,798 posts, read 21,311,780 times
I pay $1500 for a 1 bedroom out in Marlborough.

I tried to find something equivalent in Waltham to be close to work, but the handful of apartments in my budget range were going to the first person who got in to tour with the realtor. Even the basement apartment going for $1500 2 years ago that reeked of cat pee in a building that allowed smokers (and smelled it) had someone call while I was touring who had already seen the place and wanted to put money down right there. The first place I lived in Waltham years ago with roommates has gone from $1800 a month in 2011 to $3500 a month when it last went on the market last year.

Rentals are absolutely out of control.

Old 02-12-2020, 12:19 PM

4,550 posts, read 4,800,661 times
As Worcester and Providence are in Greater Boston more or less (if Greater Boston is the CSA yes, if it's the MSA no, if its the NECTA the census uses no) : $800 for a floor of a triple decker. ~1200 sf, 3bed. Less if you've got 3 generations living in one that the grandparents own. I've heard that one or the parents own the house and live on the top or bottom, and rent out one floor to one kid and their family and the other floor to the other kid. Usually $300-500 for those set ups.

Market rate though is $1200

Old 02-12-2020, 02:36 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,208,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post

I tried to find something equivalent in Waltham to be close to work, but the handful of apartments in my budget range were going to the first person who got in to tour with the realtor. Even the basement apartment going for $1500 2 years ago that reeked of cat pee in a building that allowed smokers (and smelled it) had someone call while I was touring who had already seen the place and wanted to put money down right there. The first place I lived in Waltham years ago with roommates has gone from $1800 a month in 2011 to $3500 a month when it last went on the market last year.

Yep, the only reason I got in my current Waltham apartment was because I really lucked out. My live in landlord in Newton told me she would give me two months to find a place, but after that she wanted the place all for herself. I probably could have fought it or something, but I never want to be in a place where I’m not wanted. So I started looking for a place that day, immediately. I found a couple of open houses for apartments in Arlington the next day and at the second one the realtor told me they had another showing the next day in Waltham. I made sure to be the first one there and already had all the paper work filled out with check in hand before I even toured it (I always could have withdrawn my application as there was no shortage of people who came in after me).

Old 02-13-2020, 06:35 AM

3,147 posts, read 2,074,480 times
I know more than a few people who have legacy deals in JP. $900 - $1300 for 600 - 1000 sq ft right near hyde square. They teeter on the side of mission hill, but are fantastic deals location wise for the price.

Old 02-13-2020, 07:42 AM

837 posts, read 1,218,673 times
I think I mentioned in another thread that we have friends who moved here from a LCOL area without fully realizing housing prices here. They lived with us the first year, found an apt along the Rte 1 corridor at the top of their budget the second year, was priced out of that apt, so they moved out to the Rte 2 corridor and endured a 1+ hour commute each way. They hadn't been there a year when the rent was raised on that so they moved up to NH where their rent is almost that of greater Boston but they get more for their $ in square footage and yard/storage space.

They honestly thought they were going to save $ the further they moved from Boston. Many of their neighbors work in the Boston area. They had thought the same.

Old 02-13-2020, 09:30 AM

786 posts, read 774,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post

1 bedrooms in Marlborough are going for $1,500? Damn.

My mortgage is $863 (15 year) in Westborough for a 2 bedroom. Add electricity, condo insurance, condo fee, and property taxes and it averages out to around $1,600/year.

Then there's maintenance and improvements.

Old 02-13-2020, 04:43 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,208,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xo_kizzy_xo View Post
I think I mentioned in another thread that we have friends who moved here from a LCOL area without fully realizing housing prices here. They lived with us the first year, found an apt along the Rte 1 corridor at the top of their budget the second year, was priced out of that apt, so they moved out to the Rte 2 corridor and endured a 1+ hour commute each way. They hadn't been there a year when the rent was raised on that so they moved up to NH where their rent is almost that of greater Boston but they get more for their $ in square footage and yard/storage space.

They honestly thought they were going to save $ the further they moved from Boston. Many of their neighbors work in the Boston area. They had thought the same.
I’m surprised any adult would move to Boston from a low cost of living area without researching the rent prices first. I knew someone who lived in Attleboro and had inherited a home from her parents. Apparently, though the mortgage was paid off, she still had to rent the land. That’s how she put it. I’m pretty sure she was just talking about real estate tax, but maybe I’m wrong. Anyway, it came to just over $400 a month for the whole house. She was shocked when I mentioned I was paying just under $1300/month for my apartment.

And that’s in-state Attleboro with that person just making small talk. I could just imagine someone coming here from Pig Lick, West Virginia or some place like that and expecting to afford rent!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts