Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2020, 12:00 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,805,961 times

Advertisements

I'm at a wedding in AZ this weekend. Many have already dropped out and stayed in MA, some have reserved cars in case they need to drive, and ALL who have Monday flights have been scrambling to move them to Sunday. I spent 8 hours on hold with American Airlines between myself and my fiance who stayed home with our son. She made a $500 trip to wegmans this morning for my parents and some family friends who are late 60s and coming home to an empty fridge.

As mentioned it will probably get self cancelled but I would not be travelling. They have cancelled their honeymoon and I feel awful for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2020, 12:47 PM

15,793 posts, read 20,478,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix5k View Post
My sister in law has a wedding in LA in May. My wife has about 20 family members going. They don't plan to cancel the wedding, said they'd reevaluate in about a month. I wish they would just postpone it. I really don't think it's a good idea to go. We will be traveling with toddlers and elderly. This will probably cause marriage problems if I argue to stay home.
We have one in July up in Maine. There's time to reevalute as the date gets closer, but I don't really have the desire to go party with 200 (mostly) strangers at this point. I understand not wanting to put your life on hold, but weddings are a unique beast where some people expect you to go if invited. I went to 6 weddings last year where I knew nobody because "we were invited so we have to go"

My sister had a christening planned for tomorrow. That was postponed.

Baker just banned gatherings of 250 people or more. That would be a huge wedding but I think it would still apply here. Time to whittle the guest list

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
I've heard of some using gloves to pump their own gas.
That's actually a good idea. I'll be tossing a pair of gloves in my trunk for stuff like that.

Old 03-13-2020, 01:46 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,413,774 times
I just went to Market Basket in Woburn about noon today, and "Thanksgiving and Christmas and a noreaster all rolled into one" just about described it. As usual, that store shows that the management has brains--they had people lining up for the checkouts in a single line, with staff directing them to registers as they became available. The line went all the way to the back, and part way along past the back corner. I wish I'd remembered to check the toilet paper, so I can't say whether there was any, but we got plenty a couple of days ago. And paper towels too.

Then in another store, which I won't name, they asked at the checkout, "Do you want hand sanitizer?" and they'd sell you 2 bottles each, keeping it out of sight. That made me a hero with my dear spouse.

Speaking of stocking up, I hope the liquor stores have beer.

Old 03-13-2020, 02:01 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,919,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amontillado View Post

I hear Corona isn't moving off the shelves too quickly. Hopefully limes are still in stock.

Old 03-13-2020, 04:00 PM

12,379 posts, read 9,483,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
I hear Corona isn't moving off the shelves too quickly. Hopefully limes are still in stock.
good one. It is an unfortunate product name for these times.

Old 03-13-2020, 05:27 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,282,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amontillado View Post

I definitely don't have enough beer in the house to deal with this.

Old 03-13-2020, 05:42 PM

17,676 posts, read 9,164,338 times
All Boston Public Schools will be closed until April 27.

Old 03-13-2020, 06:03 PM

7,235 posts, read 4,543,736 times
I got TP last weekend ordering via Amazon. I am good.

My *North Korea is going to nuke us* survivalist training has me with bottled water in my basement that will last at least two months.

I have about a week of food.. maybe 2 if I stretch it. CVS still has a lot of stuff. Look where things aren't obvious.

My workplace did an about face today and decided to let us work from home. We will keep what needs to be done in "teams" so that one team goes in for 1/2 the week and vice versa.

The commuter rail actually smelled like cleaning fluid today instead of puke with a hint of mold. There was no one on it.

Everyone at work is surmising that if the bosses did an about face today they must know something. 1 week until Italy style quarantine for all. I would make it your business this weekend to make sure you have supplies and gas.

Old 03-13-2020, 06:41 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,777,765 times
Target had empty food shelves tonight. I didn't even think people knew Target sold food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
Everyone at work is surmising that if the bosses did an about face today they must know something. 1 week until Italy style quarantine for all. I would make it your business this weekend to make sure you have supplies and gas.
Not disagreeing but I really hope they don't do true martial law over this.

Old 03-13-2020, 07:06 PM

12,379 posts, read 9,483,835 times
"As of Friday evening, at least 2,110 people in 48 states and Washington, D.C. have tested positive for coronavirus, according to a New York Times database, and at least 48 patients with the virus have died"...

The number of cases doubled again, in roughly 2 days. At this pace, by next weekend, we'll be well over 10,000 cases. Mind you, it doesn't need to keep growing geometrically indefinitely, which is exactly why the CDC and NIH have been going on with the public education campaign re handwashing, and urging cancellation of large gatherings, why people are working from home and schools are closing, is to break this cycle of geometric increase in prevalence, i.e. to flatten the curve.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...-us-cases.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts