Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2020, 01:30 PM

12,848 posts, read 22,021,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I was just amazed at the number of people out and about in stores at least in my neck of the woods along Rt95/Rt1 north of Boston. I figured more people would turn to online shopping now than ever before.
Interesting to hear. We were up North and avoided in store shopping like the... well, this. But we always do, so this year isn't different. I didn't see much in the news or on social media about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2020, 02:33 PM

9,089 posts, read 6,314,604 times
Quote:
I'm surprised to come in here and not see discussion around Black Friday shopping.

I don't know about all you, but I was out and about on Friday trying to do a few errands and found stores to be packed. I did go to Lowes, and it was the busiest I've seen since Feb. There was a huge congregation in the Xmas aisles.

I also drove to a few other stores, but parking was crazy so I decided not to go in. I would have made this same decision in years past.

I was just amazed at the number of people out and about in stores at least in my neck of the woods along Rt95/Rt1 north of Boston. I figured more people would turn to online shopping now than ever before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Interesting to hear. We were up North and avoided in store shopping like the... well, this. But we always do, so this year isn't different. I didn't see much in the news or on social media about it.
I normally avoid stores on Black Friday and this year was no different. My father and I did drive from my house out to Albany and back to remove some items from my sister's garage (her house out there is for sale and under agreement). I honestly thought traffic was heavy for the day after Thanksgiving. We saw an unusually high number of Connecticut vehicles in MA and NY between Lowell and Albany. It rivaled the summer tourist season.

Old 11-30-2020, 03:10 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,778,954 times
IIRC I saw a report saying that sales on BF at retail was down like 52% or something like that, while online was up 25%.

Old 11-30-2020, 03:15 PM

16,359 posts, read 8,174,665 times
1166 new cases today. Seems low.

Old 11-30-2020, 03:36 PM

9,877 posts, read 7,209,711 times
Quote:
I'm surprised to come in here and not see discussion around Black Friday shopping.

I don't know about all you, but I was out and about on Friday trying to do a few errands and found stores to be packed. I did go to Lowes, and it was the busiest I've seen since Feb. There was a huge congregation in the Xmas aisles.

I also drove to a few other stores, but parking was crazy so I decided not to go in. I would have made this same decision in years past.

My daughter works at one of the popular mall stores and she was told that their Black Friday sales were about the same as a normal day before the pandemic and about 30% of what they usually get on Black Friday. Normal day sales are at about 50% of normal. Not actual numbers:

Normal before pandemic: $10K
Normal after pandemic: $5K
Black Friday before pandemic: $30K
Black Friday this year: $10K.

But their online business is up and they are utilizing their stores to fulfill their online sales. My daughter's store had about 1000 items to pick and ship during Black Friday and is having staff stay overnight to keep up.

Old 11-30-2020, 03:44 PM

9,877 posts, read 7,209,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
My local Catholic church had to have 200+ people pouring out and only a tiny fraction were wearing masks. Seems certain segments of our society has decided the pandemic is over.
That's unfortunate to hear. The RCAB is playing hardball as they don't want to be blamed for for super spreader events.

Our Catholic Church has been doing a great job of masking and social distancing. Everyone gets hand sanitizer and a mask if offered if needed. Nobody gets in without one. If everybody that comes is a party of one, we can fit about 100 or 25% of capacity. With people coming as multiples, we can seat them together and it's a big jigsaw puzzle. 130 is the largest number we've had. We have about 6 people at each Mass seating people, controlling traffic and spacing at Communion, and when exiting.

This weekend, we have implemented a reservation system as the numbers are getting up there. 100 can reserve and then others can standby for space as we figure out the puzzle.

Old 11-30-2020, 04:23 PM

17,716 posts, read 9,187,561 times
This is North Carolina (I think), but these banners have been put up on interstate highway overpasses in all 50 states.

Old 11-30-2020, 04:44 PM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
Seems certain segments of our society has decided the pandemic is over.
Did we win?

Old 11-30-2020, 07:41 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,138,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
That's unfortunate to hear. The RCAB is playing hardball as they don't want to be blamed for for super spreader events.

Our Catholic Church has been doing a great job of masking and social distancing. Everyone gets hand sanitizer and a mask if offered if needed. Nobody gets in without one. If everybody that comes is a party of one, we can fit about 100 or 25% of capacity. With people coming as multiples, we can seat them together and it's a big jigsaw puzzle. 130 is the largest number we've had. We have about 6 people at each Mass seating people, controlling traffic and spacing at Communion, and when exiting.

This weekend, we have implemented a reservation system as the numbers are getting up there. 100 can reserve and then others can standby for space as we figure out the puzzle.
It is unfortunate ... especially given the median age of the parishioners.

Fortunately, the other churches in my immediate area appear to taking appropriate precautions (e.g., enforcing mask usage, opting for outdoor services when appropriates, etc.). Rather unsurprisingly, the latter churches attract higher income/more educated parishioners ... seems to be a trend, IMO.

Personally, I'm a bit lacking in empathy at this point. If one cannot educated themselves on the risk at this point, let them deal with the consequences. Unfortunately healthcare workers become the backstop. As an atheist, I'm not particularly interested in testing my mortality so I'm steering clear of large gatherings and my higher risk family members and friends.

Old 11-30-2020, 08:18 PM

17,716 posts, read 9,187,561 times
Churches shouldn't be open.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts