Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2021, 02:33 PM

11,904 posts, read 8,990,771 times

Advertisements

"All individuals included in Phase 1 of the Massachusetts vaccine rollout can now get the shot if they want. Gov. Charlie Baker announced Thursday afternoon that the final two groups in the phase — 'home-based health care workers' and 'non-COVID-facing health care workers' — are immediately eligible to get the vaccine."
https://www.boston.com/news/coronavi...-massachusetts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2021, 02:36 PM

2,912 posts, read 5,124,014 times
Default January 21, 2021....Too risky, too foolish to fly out of the region for vacation?

Very long post:

Despite some light research last week, I'm still a bit confused on official travel advisories out of Massachusetts during the pandemic.

Sure, we've heard at times not to leave Massachusetts, and we've been unwelcome I think in Maine at times, maybe even now? And last month, I recall Rhode Island having the second-highest infection rate in the country. Not sure about now.

I don't even know the current "rules" or advisories for car travel or air travel from/to our region, even if just car travel over the direct border to Rhode Island, New Hampshire, Connecticut, New York State from western Massachusetts, Vermont from western Massachusetts (or indirectly to Maine, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, etc.)

I've been to my community health center several times in recent months, and of course the security staff stops all visitors and asks if they've left the state in the past 14 days (or is it 7 days now?). I even somewhat kiddingly asked the security staff if I answered "yes" to leaving Massachusetts, even for one hour in the past 14 days, whether I'd need to cancel my visit...and it seemed the answer was "yes." Surely, some or most patients would just lie, especially if just meeting a friend for three hours for dinner in Providence or New Hampshire, or traveling just over the state line from Attleboro to Providence Place Mall for a few hours.

One Massachusetts site last week still had its travel advisory from August 2020. I was hoping for a January document, even if nothing has changed.

I realize as of last week, Arizona had the highest rate of new cases....in the world? Or was it deaths? And I believe northern California is faring much better than southern California, specifically the poor stats from Los Angeles County. Is Orange County, and even San Diego or Palm Springs, the latter both about two hours away, a better choice even though still in California? Who knows?

Tampa two weeks ago was to allow NHL Tampa Bay Lightning fans to scatter throughout their arena, and the NBA Toronto Raptors are playing in Tampa this year; the Raptors had limited fans allowed for their first few games in Tampa, including a Celtics game there. But now both teams have banned those limited number of fans allowed due to poor Covid results two weeks ago. I think it was the arena's decision, not the city. But still, I think Florida overall has been more lenient than New England, and maybe currently as well? I've wanted for years to check out Tampa-St. Petersburg, Clearwater and even Sarasota.

And the NBA's Golden State Warriors, now permanently based in San Francisco instead of nearby Oakland at their new Chase Center arena, can play home games as usual but I believe with zero fans -- but not the NHL's San Jose Sharks an hour south in a different county, who've temporarily relocated to of all places -- risky Arizona. All so confusing, even in the same region.

Sure, despite Arizona's poor results recently, maybe visiting two hours away in Flagstaff may be relatively safe, no worse than here. Same with other large states. And I wanted to try visiting Austin for the first time, but I realize it's been quite unsafe there recently.

Surely I'll survive without a vacation, especially with our mild and snow-scarce winter so far. Likely just being selfish, but likely not more so than those who travelled for the holidays. But yes, holidays with family are more important than a solo trip in January. Plus, I'm almost 61 and overweight, so even more reason to be careful!

And must I quarantine for 14 days when returning to/leaving Massachusetts, whether driving to Providence for a few hours or flying to the west coast? Some employed people can't afford to or even get the time off to quarantine after a trip and likely would refuse, anyway. Must I/should I get a covid test before leaving and/or returning to Massachusetts? And I think a negative test within 72 hours or so means no need to quarantine in most or all states nowadays? Yes, my head is spinning thinking of all of this, just for a vacation. I'm making it too complicated and overthinking it all! But hey, it's a pandemic.

(Thanks for reading all of this.)

Old 01-21-2021, 02:40 PM

604 posts, read 552,352 times
Since you asked: Yes. Too risky, too foolish.

Old 01-21-2021, 02:45 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,286,435 times
I'll say it depends.

Definitely wouldn't go anywhere chock-full-o-stupid-people (like Florida), and would follow all the rules. Given the quarantine requirements in the safer places (both arrival and return to MA), this is probably only practical with a 100% WFH job or at least 5-6 weeks of vacation time available.

The bigger concern I've discussed around such a plan is what to do once you get there, since many places are still in some form of shutdown. Not flying somewhere to sit in a hotel room and order takeout; I can do that here. Of course, the places most open right now are also often the ones most chock-full-o-stupid-people, so there's that conundrum.

Old 01-21-2021, 02:54 PM

2,321 posts, read 1,732,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtolpin View Post
Something is happenning today:

Massachusetts to lift curfew for restaurants implemented due to rising COVID-19 rates - Baker is talking today
Specifically the late night curfew (which I doubt was even being enforced), and not just restaurants. Obviously now it looks like that was more about election-related rioting threats than actually being about the virus.

Old 01-21-2021, 03:01 PM

5,975 posts, read 4,957,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
"All individuals included in Phase 1 of the Massachusetts vaccine rollout can now get the shot if they want. Gov. Charlie Baker announced Thursday afternoon that the final two groups in the phase — 'home-based health care workers' and 'non-COVID-facing health care workers' — are immediately eligible to get the vaccine."
https://www.boston.com/news/coronavi...-massachusetts
FINALLY!!

I hope they take a similar practical approach when Phase 2 comes. I'm still not sure how they will handle the comorbidity based qualification...whether they will rely on self-reporting or it will somehow be tied in with medical history.

Old 01-21-2021, 03:06 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,195,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtolpin View Post
Something is happenning today:

Massachusetts to lift curfew for restaurants implemented due to rising COVID-19 rates - Baker is talking today
But of course! Right on time.

Old 01-21-2021, 03:09 PM

15,593 posts, read 7,609,768 times
Has anyone heard anything on when they'll be expected to return to the office ?

Old 01-21-2021, 03:39 PM

1,187 posts, read 2,384,373 times
Stay home, wear a mask, save lives, maybe yours.

Old 01-21-2021, 04:38 PM

7,682 posts, read 1,260,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
I'll say it depends.

Definitely wouldn't go anywhere chock-full-o-stupid-people (like Florida), and would follow all the rules. Given the quarantine requirements in the safer places (both arrival and return to MA), this is probably only practical with a 100% WFH job or at least 5-6 weeks of vacation time available.

HA! I live in FL and flew to MA 2 weeks ago. I looked on the mass.gov website which states:

All visitors entering Massachusetts, including returning residents, who do not meet an exemption, are required to: Complete the Massachusetts Travel Form prior to arrival. Quarantine for 10 days or produce a negative COVID-19 test result that has been administered up to 72-hours prior to your arrival in Massachusetts.

...and I did just that. I got a COVID test 72 hrs before I flew to MA. I had to get one on a Sunday to fulfill the requirement. Lucky for me there's a "Doc in a Box" up the road which is opened on weekends. As soon as I got the test I filled out the MA travel form on line. I got my COVID results on Tuesday and printed out all the documentation. When I got to the Boston Airport on Wednesday I expected someone would be there to screen me in order to verify my COVID status.

NADA. No one asked.

I flew Delta. On the flight up every other seat was empty. On the flight back there were only 50 passengers. Everyone was masked up.

I stayed with my daughter who lives on Buzzards Bay. All I can say is that I met more Trumpers there than I've been exposed to in FL. My older daughter drove in from CT and stayed overnight--no one pulled her over to ask what her COVID status was or where she was going or why.

BTW...Tampa Int'l Airport was the first in the nation to offer COVID testing right at the airport (for a fee--it cost more than my flight!)

For the record, FL's fearless leader, Gov. DeSantis, gave the state absolutely no directives concerning the pandemic for the first 5 months or so, leaving the towns and counties to fend on their own. Hillsborough and Pinellas Counties (Tampa Bay region) have been very responsive to the pandemic--yes, we mask up for shopping and dining, and have social distancing directives--even on the beaches which are monitored. Yes, there are bars that are packed with younguns who think they're invincible, crowded open air markets and such--I just try to avoid those places, especially on the weekends. I would never go to Clearwater Beach as it's an insane tourist trap on a good day but the other beaches along the Gulf are fine.

Moral of the story: use your judgement. If you don't feel comfortable traveling then don't. If you want to drive across state lines, get a COVID test before you go if it will put your mind at ease, otherwise don't bother. If you're flying out of state check your destination state's website for their rules. You'll need to get a test before you return per MA state rules, but chances are excellent no one will follow up with you.

Last edited by Daisy Grey; 01-21-2021 at 05:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts