U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2008, 10:27 AM

1 posts, read 3,132 times

Advertisements

Hello, A year ago I moved from the Chesapeake Bay area to Cambridge, MA to be closer to family. I have decided to purchase a house and although I like Cambridge, I am thinking about moving to Newburyport to have more space and be closer to the ocean. I enjoy gardening, knitting,birding, walking and most outdoor activities. I am in my 60's and would just like some thought from people my age that live in the Newburyport area.
Thanks in Advance.....I really enjoy reading all the posts here!!!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2008, 09:57 AM

23,115 posts, read 22,174,104 times
Hi-- as usual I will jump in because Nature abhors a vacuum. So I'll start and then some more enlightened and informed person can come along and complete what I tried to say.

Newburyport is wonderful. Think Plum Island. Your bird interest will be piqued and there are nature walks all the time to see marshes, birds, and other stuff that your probably love.

There is great shopping, lots of history, the salt air, great old sea captain type houses. You're near Portsmouth NH which is a lot of fun to visit. You can easily get up to L.L. Bean in Maine.

Just being around people closer to your own age would be nice, I would think. People in Newburyport are not mostly students, as in Cambridge -- they are "grown up" (as I like to say) and just don't need to live near Boston for careers.

I go there a lot to take pictures -- just point your camera and there is something beautiful. You've got perfect countryside and open land with all the amenities of culture and interesting people. There is more but there are other people on here too who know more than I do...............

Old 08-19-2008, 01:31 PM

6 posts, read 21,961 times
Hello,
Although I am not in your age range, I thought i would throw in my opinion. I agree with everything in_newengland said. It is a beautiful city with a lot to offer. The one downfall is finding a home to garden in that you won't have to empty your savings account to purchase. Houses with nice gardens are not always up for grabs. That being said, it is an ideal town to walk around and there is always something to enjoy!
Good luck!

Old 08-20-2008, 01:29 PM

65 posts, read 236,789 times
If you like to garden then you should consider looking in the west side of Newburyport and in Newbury. There are some nice homes in Newbury - and since you don't need to worry about schools, that might be a better option.

Old 09-28-2008, 02:04 AM

8 posts, read 38,277 times
Newburyport's great, and if you like Cambridge you'd probably love it. If you are looking for more space it might not be the answer. I believe Newburyport was actually *denser* than Boston until a few decades ago! But by all means look around, you might find the perfect place.

Last edited by pekinduck; 09-28-2008 at 02:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts