Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2020, 07:13 PM

55 posts, read 44,131 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone... so let’s talk Ayer. I see it clearly doesn’t have the best wrap on these forums. I drove around and it didn’t seem so bad. It obviously isn’t a booming metropolis but it is also very affordable which is why I am considering it. I want to do more than live to pay a mortgage and I would have a reasonable commute to work and if I needed to could as a last resort commute to Boston in the future. It concerns me that property prices are so stagnant. The last thing I would want is for them to completely deflate. The downtown has a few things though and it isn’t so far from Lowell if I wanted to go into a city for something.

I do not have kids and even if I did am not fortunate enough to comfortably spend $500,000 to live in the more popular areas. Can I get some level opinions with those thoughts in mind? I know everyone is always talking about schools or the grossness of Ayer but is it honestly that bad if you come at it from a less pretentious angle? I haven’t seen a real updated thread about it.

Last edited by zambiehearts; 05-12-2020 at 08:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2020, 07:21 PM

23,556 posts, read 18,651,084 times
I don't think anyone would ever call Ayer "bad". It just doesn't come with the bucolic charm or prestige of Harvard, Groton, or towns like that. It certainly beats Fitchburg.

Old 05-12-2020, 07:34 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,363,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I don't think anyone would ever call Ayer "bad". It just doesn't come with the bucolic charm or prestige of Harvard, Groton, or towns like that. It certainly beats Fitchburg.
It might have a slightly rough reputation from the old Ft. Devens days.

I lived in Littleton for 27 years and went to Ayer for several things. I liked it just fine. No, not a manicured moneyed suburb, but livable and affordable. Also a good train stop to Cambridge/Boston if so desired. Some good restaurants. Actually, I found myself going to Lowell for eating out more than I did into Boston. I follow real estate prices as a hobby (obsession) and thought Ayer was very good for the money.

Yeah, it doesn't have that prestige factor or upper-middle kids in the schools. But it's a far cry from the haunts of Fitchburg. I don't know why someone would even mention them together except as a misguided snark.

I would live in Ayer if back in the area, and I'm a middle-aged single woman. Ayer would have suited me fine.

Old 05-12-2020, 08:03 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,135,205 times
Quote:
It's certainly not Fitchburg, but having lived there for a few years while my wife and I were house hunting, I can say I had no desire to stay there despite it working with our commutes and price point.

Despite the military base winding down, the town maintains a very tangible transient element. Rentals remain a dominant part of the housing stock, so this is not terribly surprising. Test scores reflect the socio-economic status of the renters in town.

IMO, unlike Lancaster or the Wachusetts towns, where the value yields both affordable square footage and and well ranked schools, Ayer's value is quite limited to the former and commuter rail. Student body is rather dismal, hence the Fitchburg comparison (I suspect). Leominster ranking is at parity on the surface, but actually has superior test scores. If OPs financials are tight, which is sounds like they are, I think Leominster is a very viable option. The neighborhoods northeast of the rail station are quite nice and homes can still be had in the $300's.

Better yet, stretch for west Groton or accept a lesser Boston commute and buy a town like Lancaster or Sterling. Student peers will be much improved in these towns as the households will be much more stable.

Old 05-12-2020, 08:18 PM

23,556 posts, read 18,651,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
It's certainly not Fitchburg, but having lived there for a few years while my wife and I were house hunting, I can say I had no desire to stay there despite it working with our commutes and price point.

Despite the military base winding down, the town maintains a very tangible transient element. Rentals remain a dominant part of the housing stock, so this is not terribly surprising. Test scores reflect the socio-economic status of the renters in town.

IMO, unlike Lancaster or the Wachusetts towns, where the value yields both affordable square footage and and well ranked schools, Ayer's value is quite limited to the former and commuter rail. Student body is rather dismal, hence the Fitchburg comparison (I suspect). Leominster ranking is at parity on the surface, but actually has superior test scores. If OPs financials are tight, which is sounds like they are, I think Leominster is a very viable option. The neighborhoods northeast of the rail station are quite nice and homes can still be had in the $300's.

Better yet, stretch for west Groton or accept a lesser Boston commute and buy a town like Lancaster or Sterling. Student peers will be much improved in these towns as the households will be much more stable.
Well you can definitely get more for your money there than Lancaster or Sterling. West Groton is a legit longer commute towards Boston. It's hard to say whether I would have kids there vs. Leominster, but I have heard more positive about the Leominster schools vs. Ayer. I think the transient thing is overblown these days, just feels small town New England to me (could easily be dropped down in rural ME or NH).

Old 05-12-2020, 08:26 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,805,183 times
Ayer isn't bad, it is just not that good. Definitely not exciting. There is a small downtown area that has a few places but not really anything to write home about. I've worked in Ayer for 8 years and wouldn't consider moving there. A good portion of the town is near railroad tracks that carry the commuter rail (plus due to access) and massive freight trains (negative) that create north/south chokepoints when they slowly crawl by. I can hear the whistle blowing and freight cars banging into each other at 3AM while I sit inside of a large building with loud industrial equipment humming all around me. Speaking of which, there is a rather large industrial area that tends to smell awful due to a soy processing plant dumping byproducts down the drain which contrary to the article hasn't been 100% fixed. Don't forget about the adjacent quarry where they do blasting. And on the other side of town Ft. Devens occasionally has ordinance training or helicopter flights at late hours too. If I didn't have kids I would possibly consider it but I feel the town is overvalued. Pre pandemic commute to Alewife was an absolute pain in the AM so you are tied to commuter rail schedule if you are trying to avoid it.

Last edited by wolfgang239; 05-12-2020 at 09:51 PM..

Old 05-12-2020, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Well you can definitely get more for your money there than Lancaster or Sterling. West Groton is a legit longer commute towards Boston. It's hard to say whether I would have kids there vs. Leominster, but I have heard more positive about the Leominster schools vs. Ayer. I think the transient thing is overblown these days, just feels small town New England to me (could easily be dropped down in rural ME or NH).
My internment there was within the past 4 years - the transient 'thing' remains very real. Prior to, I lived in Lowell for 6 years and my landlord in Ayer, who was originally from Dracut, would frequently joke that Ayer had more creeps per capita than Lowell ... I was inclined to agree. I hear Carlin's has revamped, but when I was there it was an absolute s__show. To quote a friend from Shirley "Carlin's remains the only bar where I've seen someone break a bottle over someone's head ... and not once. Twice! Can't recommend it."

I'd also note the most affordable homes in west Groton, those near Blood Farm, are <8 minutes from Ayer center. As a parent, I'd happily trade <20 minutes a day to send my kids through the Groton-Dunstable district versus Ayer-Shirley ... student body and test scores is magnitudes better.

Old 05-12-2020, 08:48 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,363,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
The OP did say that he wasn't concerned about the schools for any reason, and would be happy to have good access to Lowell for more urbane pleasures.

Old 05-12-2020, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
The OP did say that he wasn't concerned about the schools for any reason, and would be happy to have good access to Lowell for more urbane pleasures.
But he did stay he was concerned about stagnant prices and school performance does have a very real impact on appreciation/depreciation. I'm also trying to convey the average buyer perspective, not necessarily align with OPs current life position.

If OP wants access to Lowell and is childless, just buy a home in the Belvedere neighborhood of Lowell proper - better quality of life and similar pricing. I've lived in both within the past 8 years, so I'm speaking from experience.

Old 05-12-2020, 09:19 PM

604 posts, read 560,784 times
Lunenburg, Leominster are better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts