Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2020, 07:39 AM

12,836 posts, read 22,014,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizcuit View Post
This isn't an eating out thing but, I really miss being able to go to a grocery store and take my time and wander the aisles without concern of where other people are, if I'm going in the right direction, standing in the right place, etc.

So, yeah. I am looking forward to the day when a simple trip to the grocery store or (especially) Trader Joe's! is normal and easy again.
I agree 100%. It's a bit less stressful now, but the grocery store has been absolutely anxiety inducing recently. I've always enjoyed browsing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2020, 09:27 AM

432 posts, read 414,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Been getting tubs of ice cream from Richardson's in Middleton for a while now. Whether I walk up and get a cup of ice cream, or a tub of it doesn't really matter to me.
Got a couple of quarts from Doc Davis in Pepperell the other day. That was the first thing I've done besides groceries, pharmacy, and gas. Definitely worth it.

Old 05-28-2020, 10:37 AM

779 posts, read 876,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizcuit View Post
This isn't an eating out thing but, I really miss being able to go to a grocery store and take my time and wander the aisles without concern of where other people are, if I'm going in the right direction, standing in the right place, etc.

I've been doing the Instacart thing lately because the idea of the current in-person shopping situation is stressing me out. It's not fear at all, just dealing with all the rules and limitations that I haven't wanted to experience.

So, yeah. I am looking forward to the day when a simple trip to the grocery store or (especially) Trader Joe's! is normal and easy again.
Our grocery store recently got rid of the one-way aisles and even that helped me feel less stressed. I am looking forward to browsing at Target. I've only gone there twice in the past few months and both times I was just running in to pick up an order I placed. I haven't walked through the aisles in forever.

I can't wait to have a real girls' night with friends--we do coffee in a parking lot sometimes, but I miss our girls' nights.

The next time my kids get on the bus for school, I may cry.

Old 05-29-2020, 12:54 PM

8,543 posts, read 14,020,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I agree 100%. It's a bit less stressful now, but the grocery store has been absolutely anxiety inducing recently. I've always enjoyed browsing.
Huh! The last couple of weeks I've gone grocery shopping have actually been tremendously LESS stressful for me. The shelves seem to be well stocked now (cleaning supplies are still in short supply), the seafood and meat counters have opened back up, there's no queue at the registers, and best of all I went from waiting 20+ minutes in a line to get in to walking right in the door on arrival.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfieMama View Post
Our grocery store recently got rid of the one-way aisles and even that helped me feel less stressed. I am looking forward to browsing at Target. I've only gone there twice in the past few months and both times I was just running in to pick up an order I placed. I haven't walked through the aisles in forever.
I usually shop at Wegmans and they never made their aisles one way. That would have made me nuts. I did pop in to Stop & Shop once and went up and down 5 or 6 aisles before I realized there were arrows on the floor.

Old 05-29-2020, 01:20 PM

12,836 posts, read 22,014,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
Huh! The last couple of weeks I've gone grocery shopping have actually been tremendously LESS stressful for me. The shelves seem to be well stocked now (cleaning supplies are still in short supply), the seafood and meat counters have opened back up, there's no queue at the registers, and best of all I went from waiting 20+ minutes in a line to get in to walking right in the door on arrival.

I usually shop at Wegmans and they never made their aisles one way. That would have made me nuts. I did pop in to Stop & Shop once and went up and down 5 or 6 aisles before I realized there were arrows on the floor.
I think I wrote it poorly, but that's what I meant. I was anxious going to the store early on in this. I'm a LOT less anxious now. Some of that is simply accepting that this is the norm now, but a lot of it is exactly what you have indicated.

We are normally at the Medford Wegmans and have dealt with the lines (which have also gotten better). I think everyone has the same experience at Stop and Shop. I did exactly what you did before realizing it. So did everyone else. I think the intentions were good, but the results weren't great.

Old 05-29-2020, 04:51 PM

779 posts, read 876,966 times
What's funny is that I had to run to Stop & Shop this morning--the same one that I thought had removed the one-way aisles. As it turns out, they were just replacing the arrows, so I went the wrong way down an aisle before realizing it. I never care if somebody is coming the wrong way, but I'm constantly checking the floors to make sure I'm going the right way. I'll be glad when the arrows are gone for good.

Old 05-30-2020, 02:16 AM

448 posts, read 282,215 times
Stories are coming out about restaurants opening up soon, with outside seating, less tables, masks, etc....

It seems like its a lot of work to make it happen, go out and try to enjoy the meal. Will it be 'worth the trouble' from a customer POV? throwaway menus, lots of restrictions.....

We're close... We're getting there, but man..... it will take me a long time to want to go to eat, safely.....

Old 05-30-2020, 07:05 AM

8,543 posts, read 14,020,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I think I wrote it poorly, but that's what I meant. I was anxious going to the store early on in this. I'm a LOT less anxious now. Some of that is simply accepting that this is the norm now, but a lot of it is exactly what you have indicated.

We are normally at the Medford Wegmans and have dealt with the lines (which have also gotten better). I think everyone has the same experience at Stop and Shop. I did exactly what you did before realizing it. So did everyone else. I think the intentions were good, but the results weren't great.
In theory, the one way aisles seem like a good idea. However, I've read a lot of personal stories of them causing a lot of tension, stress, and even fighting in stores. There was a woman on the Needham Facebook page who got in a fight with another customer and then later the store manager at Roche Bros and it was all caused by the one way aisles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtolpin View Post
Stories are coming out about restaurants opening up soon, with outside seating, less tables, masks, etc....

It seems like its a lot of work to make it happen, go out and try to enjoy the meal. Will it be 'worth the trouble' from a customer POV? throwaway menus, lots of restrictions.....

We're close... We're getting there, but man..... it will take me a long time to want to go to eat, safely.....
While I know we'll never get 100% back to the way things were and that our world has now been changed forever, I do greatly look forward to a day when we achiever our new normal whatever that may be.

Old 05-30-2020, 07:40 AM

23,542 posts, read 18,693,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
While I know we'll never get 100% back to the way things were and that our world has now been changed forever,
Curious why you would say that?

Old 05-30-2020, 04:57 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,445,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Curious why you would say that?
because people have never gotten sick until now. we must forever change everything. of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts