Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2020, 07:15 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,020,075 times

Advertisements

I mean, there some legitimate reasons to consider regionalization if not annexation or "consolidation" but none were proffered here.

However, I get the sense sometimes that people just like obsessing over maps and roads and transit lines and drawing things with their sharpies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2020, 07:16 AM

24,555 posts, read 18,230,382 times
I'm laughing thinking at Andover and Lawrence being consolidated into one school district. Absolutely no chance of that ever happening.

Old 05-29-2020, 08:10 AM

57 posts, read 43,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
Businesses already pay a higher property tax rates than residents. In places with local income taxes, those are usually charged based on where the income is earned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
We have a version of that...a state income tax levied even if you live out of state.

A spider's web of local or regional taxes would be a disaster and would do nothing for job creation in most parts of Mass...if anywhere at all.
Most towns and cities do not have a local income tax. Even if they did it (all towns and cities having local income tax) would have to be mandated state wide or even nationally otherwise it wouldn't look much different than it does not (nice areas already cost more to live in).

Old 05-29-2020, 08:14 AM

23,554 posts, read 18,661,418 times
If none else, let Brockton annex Easton!

Old 05-29-2020, 08:19 AM

2,279 posts, read 1,339,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
Lunenburg, Leominster, Westminster, Gardner, Ashburnham, Ashby, and Townsend should be consolidated into Fitchburg.

Brockton could take Avon, Stoughton, Whitman, Abington, Holbrook, East Bridgewater, West Bridgewater, and Easton.

Worcester is already pretty big, but if hard-pressed I’d suggest consolidation with Holden, Auburn, Leicester, Paxton, Boylston, West Boylston, Shrewsbury, Grafton, and Millbury.
How aware are you of these places?
I could understand saying Fitchburg and Leominster could consolidate but places like Townsend, Ashby or Westminster have nothing in common with either Fitchburg or Leominster. The only results would be that the new city would completely overlook the needs of the small rural town.

Same for the other 2 areas.

A consolidation can make sense only if you can bring some advantages for everyone in term of efficiency and such.

Old 05-29-2020, 08:41 AM

2,348 posts, read 1,777,099 times
Cambridge absorbing Somerville would make sense.

Old 05-29-2020, 09:30 AM

1,204 posts, read 1,216,787 times
Just turn the whole state into Boston just to see how it affects the real estate market.

“Yes, I’m doing great! I just got a house in Boston, in the Pittsfield neighborhood!”

Old 05-29-2020, 10:00 AM

7,920 posts, read 7,806,919 times
We might see this. I have a old colleague from high school that's been doing municipal finance for years. Basically the pain train is coming in the next few months. We might be looking at a total aid cut of at least 10%. Overrides could be expected but in lieu of that layoffs including education. Framingham is already asking for 10% from employees.

In Mass and CT to be frank there's no need for very small towns to exist. They'll have to regionalism for schools and then what's the point of having a small town? Covid is pretty much eliminating the local process and replaced with zoom.

With Brockton I think the neighboring towns could annex a mile or two inward. Then divide it by half down the middle. Call the west one north Bridgewater and concentrate on the rest.

Much of Mass is U shaped. You have your higher end communities in the 128 belt throw in Duxbury, Longmeadow, Williamstown that is awash in cash. Then you have your gateway cities that are largely broke but the state pumps in large amounts of capital. As a result you have professional staff in both groups. The bottom of the U is the middle class areas that until now didn't have much for problems but weren't looking for other forms of income.Add in a decline in student population and a flattening of general population and it adds up.

I'd argue Springfield could take chicopee but that's because nearly a third of Chicopee is the military base. I'm not saying it's a bad area but to plan a city around a base makes for very sharp turns and just a lack of taxable property. If towns merge they can sell off the excess buildings and get more taxable revenue.

There's talk in the Berkshires of having just one school district. From what I've been told is it isn't a matter of if but a matter of when because the logistics would be pretty complicated and that's before covid.

In many cases there are towns with no real difference between them. Whitman/Hanson, Rockland/Abington

Much of the compensation from the state comes from demographics. Council on aging has foundations that are based on the number of seniors. This might be going down. Then there's compensation on education, roads, special education etc. Even if a town is growing that doesn't mean they have the will to hire for legit positions. The bigger the area the higher the likelihood of HR. Without HR there can be significant liabilities if it is a side project for someone else. Other towns might have the librarian be the IT staff. That's all well and good but what you can get with a IT degree vs a MLS are two completely different things.

Of course on a county basis you could give Franklin to Vermont, Berkshire to NY, Hampden and Hampshire to CT and Bristol to RI.

Old 05-29-2020, 10:20 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,020,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
We might see this. I have a old colleague from high school that's been doing municipal finance for years. Basically the pain train is coming in the next few months. We might be looking at a total aid cut of at least 10%. Overrides could be expected but in lieu of that layoffs including education. Framingham is already asking for 10% from employees.

In Mass and CT to be frank there's no need for very small towns to exist. They'll have to regionalism for schools and then what's the point of having a small town? Covid is pretty much eliminating the local process and replaced with zoom.

With Brockton I think the neighboring towns could annex a mile or two inward. Then divide it by half down the middle. Call the west one north Bridgewater and concentrate on the rest.

Much of Mass is U shaped. You have your higher end communities in the 128 belt throw in Duxbury, Longmeadow, Williamstown that is awash in cash. Then you have your gateway cities that are largely broke but the state pumps in large amounts of capital. As a result you have professional staff in both groups. The bottom of the U is the middle class areas that until now didn't have much for problems but weren't looking for other forms of income.Add in a decline in student population and a flattening of general population and it adds up.

I'd argue Springfield could take chicopee but that's because nearly a third of Chicopee is the military base. I'm not saying it's a bad area but to plan a city around a base makes for very sharp turns and just a lack of taxable property. If towns merge they can sell off the excess buildings and get more taxable revenue.

There's talk in the Berkshires of having just one school district. From what I've been told is it isn't a matter of if but a matter of when because the logistics would be pretty complicated and that's before covid.

In many cases there are towns with no real difference between them. Whitman/Hanson, Rockland/Abington

Much of the compensation from the state comes from demographics. Council on aging has foundations that are based on the number of seniors. This might be going down. Then there's compensation on education, roads, special education etc. Even if a town is growing that doesn't mean they have the will to hire for legit positions. The bigger the area the higher the likelihood of HR. Without HR there can be significant liabilities if it is a side project for someone else. Other towns might have the librarian be the IT staff. That's all well and good but what you can get with a IT degree vs a MLS are two completely different things.

Of course on a county basis you could give Franklin to Vermont, Berkshire to NY, Hampden and Hampshire to CT and Bristol to RI.
No doubt that regionalization (schools, emergency services, etc.) is happening, and the pressures to do so rising. It makes sense in many cases.

This is not the same as annexation or "consolidation."

Old 05-29-2020, 11:14 AM

2,348 posts, read 1,777,099 times
Framingham might be a worst case because a ton of their tax revenue has to come from the retail which is obviously devastated by the shutdown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts