U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2020, 02:23 PM

3,224 posts, read 1,893,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
IF they stick around!
With Holy Name and St Peters merging due to low enrollment. With St Stephens and St Marys closing this month for good...
Fair point, but lowering enrollment doesn't mean the option disappears. Just consolidation of the best positioned.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2020, 03:12 PM

493 posts, read 565,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Why would they tell you what happened? They probably assume you’d downplay it as you did this person concerns.

We’re not talking about moving to a town with marginally more black kids were talking about staying in Worcester (Lotta black kids) or leaving for a super white town.
I assume they would tell me since we are siblings....

Any other assumptions about me you want to make?

Old 06-10-2020, 05:04 PM

10,228 posts, read 4,003,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizim View Post
I assume they would tell me since we are siblings....

Any other assumptions about me you want to make?
So they went to Medford high and you didn’t? But also I don’t think siblings would necessarily say that if they know you’d downplay it. I don’t tell my siblings everything. I *assume* most people don’t.

You saying Mass isn’t (or won’t be) diverse and they should just accept and assume those things to be omnipresent is legit troubling and eerie. I’d hope that parents wouldn’t accept that.

Old 06-10-2020, 05:39 PM

Correct. I didn't go to school there. You really think that if siblings are facing constant racial issues I wouldn't know? Come on. I might not know about thier girl/boyfriends or nights out drinking but I would know that.

MA is not super diverse. It has pockets of high levels of minority concentration (i.e. Lynn, lawerence)but thats not well spread out.

We aren't talking about what it looks like in 20y ( I think more or less the same due to how expensive it is here). We are talking about now.

OP is free to do as they choose. My personal opinion is leaving a town to flee to a black enclave with other potential downsides isn't necessarily the right move.

Sorry I don't fit your narrative and it's "eerie".

Old 06-10-2020, 05:59 PM

10,228 posts, read 4,003,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizim View Post
Correct. I didn't go to school there. You really think that if siblings are facing constant racial issues I wouldn't know? Come on. I might not know about thier girl/boyfriends or nights out drinking but I would know that.

MA is not super diverse. It has pockets of high levels of minority concentration (i.e. Lynn, lawerence)but thats not well spread out.

We aren't talking about what it looks like in 20y ( I think more or less the same due to how expensive it is here). We are talking about now.

OP is free to do as they choose. My personal opinion is leaving a town to flee to a black enclave with other potential downsides isn't necessarily the right move.

Sorry I don't fit your narrative and it's "eerie".
MA has been expensive and in fact, diversity level has increased most rapidly post 2003 (if you checked the birth data I gave you, also public school data would back that up). Boston diversified more from 2010-2018 than 200-2010. It's not gonna become less diverse mainly because white people are moving out and international immigration is high.

20 years from now is when the kids would be most college, so by your own comment, we are talking about 20 years from now. By which time MA will almost certainly be 40% minority.

Eastern MA has many many towns that are over 30% minority...you're just not really thinking about that.

Outside of Lawrence are Methuen and Haverhill which are pretty Latino. Outside of Lynn is Revere and Salem which are about 40% minority between them.

Then there's Malden, Everett, Chelsea, Brookline, Quincy, Lexington, Fitchburg, Milton, Stoughton, New Bedford, Taunton, Southbridge, Holyoke, Springfield, Amherst, Chicopee, Cambridge, Somerville, Lowell, Ayer. It's not super diverse, but its not not diverse and its diversifying more quickly than 90% of states.

Comparing it to NY NJ CA GA MD NV TX FL IL isnt great but it holds its own against more regular-sized states like WA TN CT CO OH VA PA etc...

As for the racial abuse you seem to think its not a big deal... it just seems weird so many people are confirming what this kid said in Medford and youre conveniently a black person with siblings in Medford HIgh who somehow didnt notice any of this.

And again, OP blacker area and talking about moving to a whiter area. My suggestion was to move to Famoingham which is less black than Worcester.

Old 06-10-2020, 08:50 PM

761 posts, read 229,678 times
Quote:
Randolph schools are very likely better than the average American public school district.
Yeah, but they will compete in MA probably, not in Alabama, so comparing to rural schools in WV, AL or MS isn't all that relevant to me.

Old 06-11-2020, 09:23 AM

5,608 posts, read 5,105,130 times
I'd also kinda add that things out of context can make things look worse. What might appear to be segragation can also simply be ethnic neighborhoods. Brockton has many people from Cape Verde, Lowell from Cambodia, Puerto Rican in Holyoke and Springfield etc.

The other aspect is at what level is diversity. If it's just race that can tend to ignore those that are gay or trans or are of other religions etc.

There can also be a difference between a slip of the tongue and not actually being educated. I worked with a elderly lady when I was a kid that still used the term "colored" ugh... My grandmother thought that people in Asia had paper walls due to one episode of Laverin and Shirley in the 70's. A guy in my complex thought that people in Asia slept in drawers?!? he's pushing 70....

Usually traveling and education tends to eliminate a bias and change perspective. When I first went to higher ed it wasn't so much about being the only white guy (I wasn't) but being the only American in the room. I met Russian, Polish, Lebanese, Moroccan, Egyptian etc.

We're also see the concept of white as merging. Irish wasn't always considered white(Irish need not apply), Italian was not always considered white (lynchings 1890s). Some argue that ultimately latino would be considered white but that can be controversial to some.

Old 06-11-2020, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Some argue that ultimately latino would be considered white but that can be controversial to some.
Latino is not a race. Latinos are usually considered white or black.
Most Argentinians and Chileans are pretty much completely white. Some Caribbeans countries are majority black, other have a lot of native components.

Old 06-11-2020, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Irish wasn't always considered white(Irish need not apply), Italian was not always considered white (lynchings 1890s).
"White" was always just an excuse for an "us" vs "them mentality. It worked ok untile past the civil war because "us" wasn't just white, was white, protestant and of anglo-saxon culture (British and German, although Germans were also discriminated) with maybe a little bit of French. "Them" was of course the slaves, that in the US I think were all black.

""Unfortunately"" this convenient discrimination falls apart when other people that are white but are not protestant or of anglo-saxon culture start immigrating.
Just like religion race is always an excuse for discrimination.

Old 06-11-2020, 06:29 PM

Quote:

youre conveniently a black person with siblings in Medford HIgh who somehow didnt notice any of this.
LOL... i will give you credit. i have never been accused of being conveniently black before. that's a first.

We will have to agree to disagree. I am much more focused on getting into the best school system you can. if all things are relatively equal, sure go the more diverse route. But i wouldn't say move out of a town like Andover to move to Malden (for example).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts