U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2020, 11:01 AM

6 posts, read 4,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
No more than in Worcester proper. It is more conservative and richer. Not the best town west of Worcester, but far from the worst (I'd be more worried about trouble in Spencer than Rutland)

It's a Wachusset town. That high school is VERY white (88%), less than 2% of the kids in the school are black.
I guess I didnt know that .thank u
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2020, 11:01 AM

10,245 posts, read 4,015,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossiepossie View Post
Well what do u think? Do u think schools with higher white percentages might be a bad fit for my boys?
I’ve heard bad things from quite a few towns. But I’m not familiar with Central MA. Suburban eastern MA is much more diverse although there are still many very white towns- I recently saw a horrible twitter thread about Medford high complete with text documentation and pictures.... Central MA is more conservative and more white . I feel for you-this is a tough spot to be in. That’s why I say move to Framingham, there’s a small african American population but they’re still about 7% of the 75k person city, they have a black mayor, and I had childhood friends form there. It’s more suburban than Worcester with better schools (not great). It’s halfway between Worcester and Boston, it’ll give you access and exposure to a more diverse part of the state.

Where do you work, in Worcester?

Old 06-05-2020, 11:10 AM

13,509 posts, read 10,252,104 times
Quote:
Well what do u think? Do u think schools with higher white percentages might be a bad fit for my boys?
I know of a mixed family that had nothing bad to say about Wachusett, and got the impression that the environment is welcoming in general.

Your budget should also get you something on the more desirable west side of Worcester. Look for something zoned to Doherty High, which is not "great" but good for Worcester. Some of the local elementary schools in that area are quite good.

Old 06-05-2020, 01:21 PM

765 posts, read 231,252 times
Quote:
But I got this bad vibe because we are surrounded by white folks.
That's going to be pretty much every small town is central MA. Just because most people are white doesn't automatically mean they will make you feel uncomfortable...with that being said, my wife drove through Rutland 3 days ago and they had just put a Blue Lives Matter flag on the town flagpole outside the library. The flag was not there before Minneapolis. On the other hand an officer just died of covid so maybe that is the reason.
My wife also noticed a big increase in trucks going around with US flags all over in the last week, again maybe unrelated to Minneapolis...but I didn't notice anything similar in other small towns in the area.

Old 06-05-2020, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I know of a mixed family that had nothing bad to say about Wachusett, and got the impression that the environment is welcoming in general.
I know of Asians that go to Wachusett high school and they are not complaining about anything in particular.

Old 06-05-2020, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I’ve heard bad things from quite a few towns. But I’m not familiar with Central MA. Suburban eastern MA is much more diverse although there are still many very white towns- I recently saw a horrible twitter thread about Medford high complete with text documentation and pictures.... Central MA is more conservative and more white . I feel for you-this is a tough spot to be in. That’s why I say move to Framingham, there’s a small african American population but they’re still about 7% of the 75k person city, they have a black mayor, and I had childhood friends form there. It’s more suburban than Worcester with better schools (not great). It’s halfway between Worcester and Boston, it’ll give you access and exposure to a more diverse part of the state.
You are suggesting a much longer commute and a not very good school district...

Old 06-05-2020, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
That's going to be pretty much every small town is central MA. Just because most people are white doesn't automatically mean they will make you feel uncomfortable...with that being said, my wife drove through Rutland 3 days ago and they had just put a Blue Lives Matter flag on the town flagpole outside the library. The flag was not there before Minneapolis. On the other hand an officer just died of covid so maybe that is the reason.
My wife also noticed a big increase in trucks going around with US flags all over in the last week, again maybe unrelated to Minneapolis...but I didn't notice anything similar in other small towns in the area.
Bruh said an officer died of COVID so that may be the reason lmaoooooooooo

Old 06-05-2020, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
I know of Asians that go to Wachusett high school and they are not complaining about anything in particular.
Being Asian and being black are two totally different things

Old 06-05-2020, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Bruh said an officer died of COVID so that may be the reason lmaoooooooooo
I guess it wasn't clear that I implied that covid was quite obviously not the reason...

Old 06-05-2020, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Being Asian and being black are two totally different things
I thought she was looking for diversity in general not just for African Americans. My bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts