Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2020, 06:18 PM

18,544 posts, read 10,478,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossiepossie View Post
Currently I work at st Vincent hospital. Thank u for your honesty
My advice to you is find a town you want to live in and then go there and check it out. For what ever reason asking people here will get you a variety of different answers and not much help. If you like the town enough to want to live there ,you kids will be happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2020, 06:33 PM

4,235 posts, read 3,675,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Totally uncalled for.
Not at all. The kids need racial mirrors. It is devastating for non-white kids to grow up in total whiteness. If the parents are black, then it's not as bad. But if the parents are also white, the kids need to have black people in their lives -- teachers, doctors, neighbors, friends, etc.

Old 06-05-2020, 06:58 PM

23,087 posts, read 18,228,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
Not at all. The kids need racial mirrors. It is devastating for non-white kids to grow up in total whiteness. If the parents are black, then it's not as bad. But if the parents are also white, the kids need to have black people in their lives -- teachers, doctors, neighbors, friends, etc.
Who says total whiteness, which very few towns in MA truly are these days? Can you say with confidence that one wouldn't be better off providing their kids a better education than they would be receiving in Worcester? Not everybody growing up in as a minority in their community faces such devastating circumstances, believe it or not. Either way, you are white and live in Newton so don't have much authority to speak on this matter.

Old 06-05-2020, 07:29 PM

21,428 posts, read 12,419,220 times
Quote:
Who says total whiteness, which very few towns in MA truly are these days? Can you say with confidence that one wouldn't be better off providing their kids a better education than they would be receiving in Worcester? Not everybody growing up in as a minority in their community faces such devastating circumstances, believe it or not. Either way, you are white and live in Newton so don't have much authority to speak on this matter.
Plenty towns in Massachusetts are 95% white or so. or at least less than 2% black. Maybe even most of the ~350. Maybe its 180 like that...

The child needs diversity period. Unless you want them going through an extended identity crisis or worse ridicule. You wouldn't believe some of the things that go on in MA high schools in regards to minority students in that are predominately white, I've seen it thanks to social media. And as you alluded to there are enough diverse options where OP doesn't need to be in a predominately white area. West Side of Worcester or anywhere in Framingham might work. Sure Framingham is a long commute but its a better school district than Worcester, diverse and a great physical location.

Example of Racism at Medford High:
https://medford.wickedlocal.com/news...rrors-part-two

https://twitter.com/jeremybonina/sta...89596144652291

"Junior year of high school I had two white boys tell me they were gonna lynch me after we got in an argument and then thought it’d be funny to brag about it to their friends.."

"Same year I had some white girl snapchat my boy (a white kid) with a caption saying the word “******” and when he said she can’t say that she said “yes I can the ******s let me”) someone probably still got the screenshot of it tbh."

"We had a whole student meeting with like 20 kids held by a teacher where they tried to defend themselves and actually didn’t get in trouble at all (typical at MHS). They also said that to this man as if because he’s lightskin he’s not black and that didn’t offend him."

"My last thing I’m talking about is senior year when this girl was throwing a house party ” and her uncle came and was “kicking everyone out”.
Since we just walked in obviously we walked out first but after we did that no one else left."

"This girl said to the same kid from the last story and all the kids at her party still “Sorry about that guys, you don’t really have to leave. My uncle just doesn’t like black people.” Then turned to the lightskin kid and goes “don’t worry though you’re good, you’re lightskin.”"

he also has receipts and screenshot to corroborate. And this is at a somewhat diverse schoolt hats 9% black.. It didnt make a ripple...that is what black kids deal with on the regular. Racial awareness is crucial.

Last edited by CaseyB; 06-06-2020 at 08:25 AM.. Reason: no names, please

Old 06-05-2020, 09:19 PM

57 posts, read 42,571 times
Quote:
From your post history you do not have any authority to speak on this matter, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
Agreed, though I'm not sure I would call it "devastating".

Old 06-05-2020, 09:45 PM

11,947 posts, read 9,020,679 times
So one thing I have done when I am serious about buying a house, is on the visit to see the place, I also walk down the street and knock on a few doors. I explain I am looking at the place a few doors over and I ask them how they like living on the street, and how they like the area. This does a few things:

1. Gives me their take on the street, as well as the area - what are the pros and cons
2. Allows me to proactively socially meet those who would be my neighbors
3. (Stealth goal) I don't say so, but I am actually also evaluating them, it allows me to get a read on who I would be living next door to, maybe they're not going to be pleasant neighbors

If you are black or mixed parents, I think this approach would be even more useful, especially in light of goal #3. Better that you find out on a house-hunting visit, than as new homeowners.

Old 06-05-2020, 09:46 PM

4,235 posts, read 3,675,929 times
Quote:
It's true I am white and live in Newton. If I had black kids I might not live in Newton. One white friend with black children moved from Needham to Randolph and is ecstatic with it. Her kids are thriving there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitesize View Post

Agreed, though I'm not sure I would call it "devastating".
Many adult adoptees who are not white but did grow up in all white areas have used exactly that word. Their number one piece of advice to white parents of non-white children is not to live in an all white area.

Old 06-05-2020, 09:57 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,528,916 times
I grew up in Milton. It’s mostly white but when I was growing up there there were many folks who sent their kids to school there who Were not from Milton. It was somewhat diverse. Google keema Braxton. I went to middle school with him. He was killed by a gang kid who went on to do a lot worse.

I recall one student who came to our class when I was in the 8th grade. He was an angel when he first started. A beautiful black boy. In one year he was disgraced and influenced by the gang kids that went to Milton schools and Most of those kids weren’t from Milton. His grades dropped. He turned to drugs. He turned into a different person.

Kids are influenced by other kids. Diversity isn’t always best. Send your kids to a school you think they’ll thrive in and the second things go wrong pull them out and send them somewhere else.

I remember being 13 and being really upset at seeing the change in this beautiful black boy. He had so much potential but was influenced by bad black kids. He as a good kid when he first came to our school. I’ll never forget it.

Old 06-05-2020, 10:02 PM

57 posts, read 42,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
I grew up in Milton. It’s mostly white but when I was growing up there there were many folks who sent their kids to school there who Were not from Milton. It was somewhat diverse. Google keema Braxton. I went to middle school with him. He was killed by a gang kid who went on to do a lot worse.

I recall one student who came to our class when I was in the 8th grade. He was an angel when he first started. A beautiful black boy. In one year he was disgraced and influenced by the gang kids that went to Milton schools and Most of those kids weren’t from Milton. His grades dropped. He turned to drugs. He turned into a different person.

Kids are influenced by other kids. Diversity isn’t always best. Send your kids to a school you think they’ll thrive in and the second things go wrong pull them out and send them somewhere else.

I remember being 13 and being really upset at seeing the change in this beautiful black boy. He had so much potential but was influenced by bad black kids. He as a good kid when he first came to our school. I’ll never forget it.
Posts like these are great because there's so much text but it says absolutely nothing other than nonsense. You could replace the ages, grades and ethnicity in this post with any combination you'd like and it would still be true. Suicides in Acton, overdoses in Winchester, etc.

In this particular post the races and diversity are irrelevant. This kind of anecdote could apply to any kid regardless of the demographics of the school.

Old 06-05-2020, 10:03 PM

21,428 posts, read 12,419,220 times
Many kids from Mattapan and Hyde Park went to Milton because there was no high school in Mattapan and Hyde Park. They used their family members' addresses. Milton cracked down and started a policy of racially profiling in the town of Milton. I knew a black family that left Milton and moved to a gentrifying part of Roxbury during that time.

"Bad black kids" your racism is showing again. That has nothing to do with diversity and everything to do with poor choice of friends. 99.5% of all Milton kids are non gang members and normal kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts