U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2020, 07:23 AM

3,208 posts, read 1,882,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I’m not a Democrat but I can spell. I’ve also been the 6’2” blue eyed white guy in an office building in South Korea, Taiwan, and Japan. I can understand the statements here that no matter how enlightened and educated a small town might be, if it’s 98% white, any other race would really stand out. Somewhere a bit more heterogeneous might work better. I imagine the UMass Medical Center has a bunch of foreign medical school grads like any other big hospital and med school. Same for the colleges. There must be some suburb with a concentration of those people.
Yes, they live in Shrewsbury or diverse Metrowest ‘burbs. The white folk at these institutions may be scattered throughout the better Wachusett and Nashoba towns if they’re seeking more value or larger more rural lots - Harvard and Princeton being the pinnacle of bucolic idealism.

Source: wife works for these Worcester institutions, including UMass Med, and we live in a Wachusett town.

The black people here (Wachusett) are on work visas trimming apple trees. Fact. Meanwhile, the Whole Foods in Shrewsbury looks and sounds like a UN summit. Different worlds.

Last edited by Shrewsburried; 06-08-2020 at 07:47 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2020, 10:14 AM

18,502 posts, read 10,407,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
Yes, they live in Shrewsbury or diverse Metrowest ‘burbs. The white folk at these institutions may be scattered throughout the better Wachusett and Nashoba towns if they’re seeking more value or larger more rural lots - Harvard and Princeton being the pinnacle of bucolic idealism.

Source: wife works for these Worcester institutions, including UMass Med, and we live in a Wachusett town.

The black people here (Wachusett) are on work visas trimming apple trees. Fact. Meanwhile, the Whole Foods in Shrewsbury looks and sounds like a UN summit. Different worlds.

Shrewsbury and Westborough both have ~29% of households where English isn't the primary language. High percentage of college educated adults. High median household income. My years working in that area were so long ago that Spags was a thing so I'm the wrong person to recommendations but that's the kind of place where you'd expect your neighbors to care about your education level and values rather than your race.

Old 06-08-2020, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Shrewsbury and Westborough both have ~29% of households where English isn't the primary language. High percentage of college educated adults. High median household income. My years working in that area were so long ago that Spags was a thing so I'm the wrong person to recommendations but that's the kind of place where you'd expect your neighbors to care about your education level and values rather than your race.
I'd say this is the correct assumption.

When I graduated Shrewsbury HS circa '03, the town was more white than now, but even then the kids with the least social capital were the working-class poor whites living off N/S Quinsig (as the locals say). Certainly far less social capital than, say, the highly educated African immigrants or middle class second-gen Indian students.

It was also diverse and large enough, both racially and socioeconomically, that nearly every one could find a flock. Even the degenerate lake kids, with their lifted GM K20s and Real Tree hats, had each other ... and passive support/tolerance from healthy population of "independents" who were intelligent enough to understand how environment might impact ones interests and lifestyle. The only ones not tolerate were the persistent antagonists ... which were largely the poor white Catholic students (here I go again hating on the Irish like some 19th century WASP).

I'd be willing to be brown-skinned in Shrewsbury. Harvard? Maybe, as at least the residents have the means to have seen the greater world. Rutland? Hell no. It's too white (the homogeneous kind) and working-class to be entirely welcoming. A town like Shrewsbury, compared to a Rutland, has a less homogeneous "white" population with plenty of very tan Greek, Armenian, Italian, Portuguese, etc. kids who are only first of second gen in the U.S. ... to a degree, it makes it hard to have a thoroughly "white identity" when you have a bunch of black-haired Amanda's running around looking and acting like they summered in Maratea.

Last edited by Shrewsburried; 06-08-2020 at 11:21 AM..

Old 06-08-2020, 11:12 AM

13,460 posts, read 10,224,981 times
Quote:
The only ones not tolerate were the persistent antagonists ... which were largely the poor white Catholic students (here I go again hating on the Irish like some 19th century WASP).
Shrewsbury had "poor white Catholic students"?

Old 06-08-2020, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Shrewsbury had "poor white Catholic students"?
Sure did. Some of the worst degenerates in my specific class had Irish or French (of the Canadian variant) surnames. Very poor working class whites with very little to lose ... which is what tends to make people dangerous. I'm not sure why this is hard to imagine when MA reluctantly has Wahlberg an an icon.

A number of the wealthier Irish Catholics in towns sent their kids to St. Johns ... the sons anyway. I'm not making a binary statement here. Some, I assume, are good people (I kid).

Last edited by Shrewsburried; 06-08-2020 at 11:48 AM..

Old 06-08-2020, 11:47 AM

13,460 posts, read 10,224,981 times
Quote:
Sure did. Some of the worst degenerates in my specific class had Irish or French (of the Canadian variant) surnames. Very poor working class whites with very little to lose ... which is what tends to make people dangerous.

I'm not sure why this is hard to imagine when MA reluctantly has Wahlberg an an icon
Interesting. I would imagine so in the Greendale area of Worcester, or scattered in Vernon Hill, or Clinton, Leominster or Fitchburg...but Shrewsbury that's kind of surprising. Especially most (white) Catholics these days are middle-class. The white trash may have Irish or French surnames, but wouldn't be identified as Catholic by most.

Wahlberg is from Dorchester, grew up poor. Dorchester when he grew up is worlds from Shrewsbury when you would have grown up.

Old 06-08-2020, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Interesting. I would imagine so in the Greendale area of Worcester, or scattered in Vernon Hill, or Clinton, Leominster or Fitchburg...but Shrewsbury that's kind of surprising. Especially most (white) Catholics these days are middle-class. The white trash may have Irish or French surnames, but wouldn't be identified as Catholic by most.

Wahlberg is from Dorchester, grew up poor. Dorchester when he grew up is worlds from Shrewsbury when you would have grown up.
Take a Google maps cruise through the neighborhoods off S. Quinsigamond. Dirt roads and 900sqft homes.

Even the coveted north side (i.e., Spring Street), in which I grew up, has neighborhoods of post-war tract homes which house your typical working-class white woes - physical abusive, substance abusive, etc. My family's property abutted one of these post-war neighborhoods and a significant number of the kids who I shared a bus stop with are now either dead from or struggling with opiates. It's shocking really, as the next bus stops down yielded successful Ivy League grads.

I use Irish Catholic as it was their identity, even if their personal reality deviated heavily. They all wore gold crosses and these days, if still alive, have some vaguely Irish tattoos. You know the types.

Old 06-08-2020, 03:21 PM

750 posts, read 224,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
One white friend with black children moved from Needham to Randolph and is ecstatic with it. Her kids are thriving there.
Randolph does not have good schools though. Thriving in a bad school doesn't translate necessarily in thriving later on in life. Obviously this is a call that parents and students should make together depending on a case by case basis but there are a lot of variables to take into account.

Old 06-08-2020, 04:03 PM

177 posts, read 363,128 times
Not sure what schools you looked at in Worcester, but my neighborhood school is Nelson Place for Elementary and Forest Grove for Middle. Nelson Place School was just totally redone last year and of all the schools my kids went to Forest Grove in my estimation had the best teachers. Granted this was about 15 years ago, but both went to Worcester Public Schools pre-k to High School & then college & both have good jobs downtown.

The general neighborhood while still mostly white has had an increasing amount of non-white families moving in the last few years. When I pass the bus stop in the morning on the way to work there are kids of all colors waiting for the bus.

One of the things about Rutland that I hear alot is that commuting either into Worcester or to I190 is very tough due to the traffic. Just something to look into. I have lived in Worcester for 32 years after graduating from college and we have been very happy here.

Old 06-08-2020, 04:49 PM

5,578 posts, read 5,094,525 times
A women I went to high school with recently went on facebook and she pointed out that having a husband of color and a child of color she was subjected to hearing the n word about her kid. This is south shore mass easily six figures for family income. 99.9999% high school graduation rate etc.

So....

She moved.

We can talk about income and education all we want but is it *really* going to make people less likely to be racist? I'll have to admit it did shock me a bit.

I recently saw Little Fires Everywhere. It's sort of like that. Pressure cooker mentality, lifestyle creep, acting as if things don't matter but they do. No real media so no real reporting etc. Pressure to pull things online even if true.

And then there's this
https://patch.com/connecticut/mansfi...exist-comments

I know people that met the guy and told me he's weird. Now if you have a problem with someone it's with the person not what they are. You know things are bad when entire departments don't want you working there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
There has not historically been much black residence in Massachusetts except for the neighborhoods in Boston and around those immediate areas. There was certainly red-lining in the city and other issues in other areas. For instance, when the lake area in my former town of Littleton was first divided and platted (I think 1929) the deed listed all the things you could not do there, like have a brewery or a tannery etc. and could not be conveyed to "anyone of the Hebrew race." I think it was assumed that no "Negro race" people would be there,

Also, there was never plantation slavery in New England, a major military presence in more recent times, and no heavy industry during the WW2 production. So people didn't come from the segregated South to the Boston area for war jobs like they did to Detroit and Chicago and Philly and L.A. Etc.

So there are few areas outside of the city neighborhoods/Milton/Randolph-type places where there might be significant number of black people living there and in the schools.

I have heard the casual racist comments in the western suburbs, not related to one town or pernicious organization or anything. It's also where I first heard "Jew" as a verb, and that from an black co-worker.

Maybe I lived in and around Cambridge too long. It all startled the hell out of me.
Uh....yes there are historical black neighborhoods outside of boston
Springfield, MA - Our Plural History.

DeBerry has a high school named after him. John Brown came from here. Dunbar has a community center down the street from me. There's a long history.

https://valleyadvocate.com/2017/06/0...story-nowhere/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts