U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2020, 08:16 AM

906 posts, read 1,152,555 times

Advertisements

True, Springfield is not Central MA. And yes, the MA Trump belt (besides some tacitly racist ‘burbs) is western Worcester County, and the eastern and western fringes of Hampden County. Most of Western MA is blue on the map, even the rural towns.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2020, 08:20 AM

10,228 posts, read 4,003,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizim View Post
Problem is, if they stay in MA (post college etc) they are going to likely find themselves one of few blacks in most professional interactions unless they go out of thier way to create this false bubble of diversity. Massachusetts just isn't diverse. It is what it is.

I would disagree that moving to Randolph, Brockton, or somewhere similar to create this false sense of sameness is long term helpful. Schools are meh, RE values are meh, and you'll 100 percent get viewed as the black kid from some crappy town (yes I know it's all relative) later. And certain POVs and negative stereotypes will automatically get ascribed to the kids just from where they grew up. I've seen it happen at work.

My experience is people are much more socioeconomically segregated than anything else. People much rather live next to black fellow Republicans family who goes to church and take care thier property than the trashy (not my term just used for descriptive purposes) white family who they have nothing in common with.
Massachusetts is the 18th most diverse state racially. Ethnically it’s definitely top 15 ..easilyAnd you’re not thinking about the facts that fewer than 60% of MA kids are white. When his kids grow up MA will be very much diverse in 20 years about 40% of the population will be minority based on current trends. In eastern MA it will be more like 45%.

Currently about 55% of births in the state are to whites and over 10% are to black people.

You’re really just projecting your own biases with this post. Real estate values are meh??? What? That unequivocally false. The schools are very average for a national scale. And who’s to say they stay in MA as adults or that they become “professionals” in a conventional sense.

Also, Stoughton Bridgewater Holbrook Avon and Milton are all town in the Randolph-abrockton orbit that are 12-15% black circa 2018 and growing quickly.

In the vast majority of america black people have to create artificial diversity bubble in the professional world. Black young Professionals is a nationwide group for Young black professionals in major cities through “out the country. That’s not unique to Boston or Mass at all. The Boston chapter has 2,732 members right now and growing. That’s more than enough of a network.

2017 Massachusetts birth data

Holbrook
Avon
Stoughton
Milton
Bridgewater

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 06-10-2020 at 08:58 AM..

Old 06-10-2020, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicshark View Post
I am raising two boys (one mixed) in Worcester. We live off of Tatnuck Square. I would stay in Worcester over moving out to Rutland.

I have one in West Tatnuck and I can't say enough good things about that school. My other son goes to Burncoat Middle and despite what it's rating is it is a good school. You have to dig deeper then just test scores. At work we have co-op students from Worcester Tech. They are some really good kids. I truly enjoy interacting with them.

If the OP is looking at Rutland I am going to doubt Shrewsbury or any of the west of Worcester suburbs are in their budget.
Exactly. All of this.

Old 06-10-2020, 08:56 AM

3,224 posts, read 1,893,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Depends on how you define conservative. In 2020, it’s not unreasonable to define it as a George Wallace populist from 1968. Trump’s core. If that’s the definition you’re using, then conservative == segregation is how it is. That’s quite different from the eastern intellectual conservative view before the Bible Belt took over the Republican Party.
I half expect the current cohort to view Buckley as a RINO, that is if they even know who he is/was ...

On that note, some of the redder eastern Worcester county towns do maintain more of a fiscal/regulatory conservative tinge as they skew wealthier and have a higher percentage of independent business owners operating out of Leominster/Worcester. Certainly more free-market-libertarian than George Wallace, though they certainly exist in town. I wouldn't be surprised to see a town like Sterling turns blue this cycle .. a man can dream anyway.

Regardless, I'm not sure I'd want to be black and in these towns. I'd be inclined to buy in the west side of Worcester (Salisbury/Flagg/northern Tatnuck), then plan for private/charter HS if income allows. The Flagg St school is going to be fairly middle class and tame despite Worcester's median income. This honestly would have been the path for my very white family if I didn't have to commute into Nashua/Boston frequently - west side of Worcester is quite nice and we know plenty of higher income families living within.

Old 06-10-2020, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizim View Post
I think you run into that kind of stupid crap everywhere. Just an unfortunate part of life. I know several black kids that graduated from Medford schools in the last few years that had nothing like this to say.

And again Medford Is pretty diverse for Mass.

I wouldn't suggest moving to a materially worse school district to pick up a handful more black kids. 4 per class vs 7 per class is the same thing.

Unless you're moving to Atlanta or willing to move into Boston proper, I wouldn't over analyze it.
Why would they tell you what happened? They probably assume you’d downplay it as you did this person concerns.

We’re not talking about moving to a town with marginally more black kids were talking about staying in Worcester (Lotta black kids) or leaving for a super white town.

Old 06-10-2020, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Marlborough and Fitchburg are inside 495. If you’re referring to “there be dragons” Central Massachusetts, there’s minimal inward migration. The geographic center of Massachusetts is Rutland. The towns west of there aren’t seeing many Asians, Africans, and Puerto Ricans.
Marlborough central MA far as I’m concerned. Fitchburg isn’t in 495, so yea I’ve named a couple of diversifying areas of central MA. There little to no chance Central MA doesn’t become more diverse, the state has been losi white residents for 30 years, that’s not changing anytime soon. I doubt there’s any towns that are less diverse now than 2000. As for nativism? Maybe, I doubt it would become noticeable enough to impact anyones life.

Old 06-10-2020, 09:32 AM

3,224 posts, read 1,893,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Marlborough central MA far as I’m concerned. Fitchburg isn’t in 495, so yea I’ve named a couple of diversifying areas of central MA. There little to no chance Central MA doesn’t become more diverse, the state has been losi white residents for 30 years, that’s not changing anytime soon. I doubt there’s any towns that are less diverse now than 2000. As for nativism? Maybe, I doubt it would become noticeable enough to impact anyones life.
Places like Hubbardston and Barre aren't gaining immigrants unless they gain jobs. Unless job opportunities improve, or Worcester booms, the area will continue to be like VT - a retirement community for white people who can tolerate long winters.

Old 06-10-2020, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
Places like Hubbardston and Barre aren't gaining immigrants unless they gain jobs. Unless job opportunities improve, or Worcester booms, the area will continue to be like VT - a retirement community for white people who can tolerate long winters.
Of course. No debate there. But the region will always slowly become a bit more minority in aggregate. It won’t be a huge difference but over 20 years, youll notice it at stores in the region and in schools. Simply because the larger locales are more diverse so that’s how the numbers work. Also as the minority population establishes itself in Worcester some will inevitably look to move to suburbs. OP is one of more to come.

But primarily it’ll be a heavily white retirement area as you said.

Old 06-10-2020, 01:30 PM

4,214 posts, read 2,508,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicshark View Post
I am raising two boys (one mixed) in Worcester. We live off of Tatnuck Square. I would stay in Worcester over moving out to Rutland.

I have one in West Tatnuck and I can't say enough good things about that school. My other son goes to Burncoat Middle and despite what it's rating is it is a good school. You have to dig deeper then just test scores. At work we have co-op students from Worcester Tech. They are some really good kids. I truly enjoy interacting with them.

If the OP is looking at Rutland I am going to doubt Shrewsbury or any of the west of Worcester suburbs are in their budget.
Ugh! I am geographically challenged! I meant suburbs EAST of Worcester. West of Worcester is so much more affordable.

Old 06-10-2020, 02:06 PM

2,928 posts, read 3,090,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
I'd be inclined to buy in the west side of Worcester (Salisbury/Flagg/northern Tatnuck), then plan for private/charter HS if income allows.
IF they stick around!
With Holy Name and St Peters merging due to low enrollment. With St Stephens and St Marys closing this month for good...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts