Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2020, 09:22 PM

6 posts, read 7,584 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone am new here .My spouse and I live in the Worcester area .we have come to realize that schools here are not that great and are hoping to move to rutland.we found a beautiful home and I went to see it today .But I got this bad vibe because we are surrounded by white folks. My spouse is An Er nurse whilst am a nurse practitioner. We are a Christian family and have always lived a quiet life.Should we go ahead and buy the home or look else where ..Your thoughts are very important to me as I dont want to plunge my children in a place where they wont feel welcomed. I have two black boys under ten and one girl who just turned 5 .Should I be worried ..thanks in advance for your replies..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2020, 09:54 PM

57 posts, read 43,192 times
Most people in Massachusetts would not be dumb enough to be overly racist, but it's hard to say in your case. I assume that you're buying...? What's your budget?

Old 06-05-2020, 05:51 AM

4,621 posts, read 4,887,043 times
No more than in Worcester proper. It is more conservative and richer. Not the best town west of Worcester, but far from the worst (I'd be more worried about trouble in Spencer than Rutland)

It's a Wachusset town. That high school is VERY white (88%), less than 2% of the kids in the school are black.

Old 06-05-2020, 07:09 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,135,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
No more than in Worcester proper. It is more conservative and richer. Not the best town west of Worcester, but far from the worst (I'd be more worried about trouble in Spencer than Rutland)

It's a Wachusset town. That high school is VERY white (88%), less than 2% of the kids in the school are black.
This would be my concern. Wachusett remains a competent school district, largely thanks to the higher income households residing in the towns like Sterling, but as you state it is super white. I wouldn't be overly concerned about overt racism, particularly among the majority of peers in school, but non-white students will definitely be a tiny minority within. I'm not sure I'd be okay with this as a parent of black boys ... I'm barely okay with it as the father of a white boy, but my wife and I have a diverse network which will hopefully provide some balance and perspective.

Shrewsbury would be an ideal environment as the district is very diverse (by MA standards) and excellent in general, but your dollars buy you far less RE. A lot less than Rutland.

Of the more affordable Worcester 'burbs, West Boylston is likely the most diverse without committing to Worcester schools. I believe it's around 4-5% African American, which is far higher than the Wachusett towns.

Old 06-05-2020, 07:09 AM

1,642 posts, read 1,397,539 times
Did something happen?

Old 06-05-2020, 07:15 AM

7,920 posts, read 7,806,919 times
Unless they take Metco the vast majority of suburban school districts are majority white. Gateway cities are more diverse but the school district quality should be looked at.

I wouldn't say ALL of one area is racist. Heck I saw a guy with missing teeth playing with a unneutered dog with a Frisbee with a tree without limits in the background that had a confederate flag flying. I remember decades ago as a kid seeing one I think near the old Kmart in Rockland and then there's the huge trump flag I saw some business in the berkshires. The area in the berkshires was a hilltown so naturally they are more detached.

Racism takes different forms. Things like waving confederate flags and kkk stuff is one thing. Redlining financial access and blocking access is another. People saying words is one thing but look at actions when something happens.

Old 06-05-2020, 08:51 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times
I would say Probably. Most small all white towns in MA give me the same feeling.

If I were you I’d stay and Worcester. Just be involved in your child’s life and try to get them to go to the best schools Worcester has available at each level. If your doing your job, I’m sure the teachers are and you should be fine.

What exactly makes the schools not great? If it’s the social scene or your worried about the influences of other kids -Worcester has a very low crime rate so I don’t think I’d worry as much about those schools as Springfield Brockton or even Boston. it’s your call.

Or move to Framingham.

Old 06-05-2020, 08:52 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times
You ought to look at MA school district with higher black percentages tbh.. then find what one would fit.

Old 06-05-2020, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitesize View Post
Most people in Massachusetts would not be dumb enough to be overly racist, but it's hard to say in your case. I assume that you're buying...? What's your budget?
500 to 550 I guess?

Old 06-05-2020, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
You ought to look at MA school district with higher black percentages tbh.. then find what one would fit.
Well what do u think? Do u think schools with higher white percentages might be a bad fit for my boys?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts