Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2020, 08:40 AM

7,924 posts, read 7,813,022 times

Advertisements

O boy this again. Awhile back a friend I kinda know on Facebook started talking about "essential employees" months back when this started and that some employers gave papers in case you were out of state and cops stopped you. It caused a storm online and he removed it.

States cannot regulate airspace and many airports are quasi government (i.e. massport and CAA in CT). You have to go to their board of directors to try to authorize some of that.

It's next to impossible to police streets. State police go down state routes and interstates but it's largely local on local roads. Having said this there are many instances where you can find out of state plates. If a metro area is alongside other areas, if it's a college community, if it's a large employer etc. Perhaps a fine isn't what's needed but rather negative test results and then a fine if it isn't negative or none at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2020, 01:18 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,138,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Because as we all know those good enlightened blue staters in California would never spread it on their own, just like there was never a spike in MA, NY, NJ, MI...

The hypocrisy is really pretty mind blowing, like where Gov. Cuomo in NY cried fowl when RI was asking NYers to quarantine and just the mention of a national quarantine on the NY/NJ area when THEY were THE hotspot...now that clown is all a sudden for a quarantine on those from TX and AZ. Can't make this stuff up...

And let me guess, those MAGA hat wearing Republicans are the ones who spread it like wildfire around Chelsea, Lynn and Everett?
You're creating a bit of a false equivalency here. Most of the states you listed spiked very early in the pandemic. NY and MA especially.

That's very different from GOP governors negligently adhering to political pressures and maintaining a "business as usual" environment within their state. Particularly when the data was far more clear.

I personally believe the risk response is largely driven by education level, which is why I see poor mask usage in within certain segments of MAs population, but given the stats and vids coming out of TX I do think its rather valid to question whether measures should be taken to limit the "mixing" of states given differing responses.

Old 06-26-2020, 02:11 PM

6,808 posts, read 6,043,031 times
Quote:
The hypocrisy is really pretty mind blowing, like where Gov. Cuomo in NY cried fowl when RI was asking NYers to quarantine and just the mention of a national quarantine on the NY/NJ area when THEY were THE hotspot
I’d also be surprised if Raimondo followed Lamont and Cuomo here considering the fit Cuomo pulled when she tried to do this same thing a few months ago.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/03/o...-raimondo.html

Baker’s been fairly hands-off this whole time (always advising instead of threatening), so I’d be surprised if he changes his tune now. Not to mention, I agree with chicagoliz and mdovell that it’d be a nightmare to actually enforce unless we set up checkpoints on each road that crossed state lines.

Not to mention our numbers are still low. As soon as we start seeing a new spike, we should shut everything down again. Until then, I don’t think throwing up huge fines and official restrictions is a good idea.

Old 06-26-2020, 02:32 PM

23,549 posts, read 18,700,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
You're creating a bit of a false equivalency here. Most of the states you listed spiked very early in the pandemic. NY and MA especially.

That's very different from GOP governors negligently adhering to political pressures and maintaining a "business as usual" environment within their state. Particularly when the data was far more clear.

I personally believe the risk response is largely driven by education level, which is why I see poor mask usage in within certain segments of MAs population, but given the stats and vids coming out of TX I do think its rather valid to question whether measures should be taken to limit the "mixing" of states given differing responses.
When they spiked is irrelevant. Point is, Cuomo threw a hissy fit at RI's quarantining of people coming from NY while his state was spiking and at Trump's sheer mention of a quarantine of NY and NJ. It's hypocrisy to no end.

Old 06-26-2020, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
I’d also be surprised if Raimondo followed Lamont and Cuomo here considering the fit Cuomo pulled when she tried to do this same thing a few months ago.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/03/o...-raimondo.html

Baker’s been fairly hands-off this whole time (always advising instead of threatening), so I’d be surprised if he changes his tune now. Not to mention, I agree with chicagoliz and mdovell that it’d be a nightmare to actually enforce unless we set up checkpoints on each road that crossed state lines.

Not to mention our numbers are still low. As soon as we start seeing a new spike, we should shut everything down again. Until then, I don’t think throwing up huge fines and official restrictions is a good idea.
I believe Raimondo hinted at joining in on this.

Old 06-26-2020, 02:52 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,596 times
Quote:
I believe Raimondo hinted at joining in on this.
She has and already made some comments to needle Cuomo and hold it over his head as well.

Old 06-26-2020, 03:17 PM

307 posts, read 164,304 times
Quote:
Because as we all know those good enlightened blue staters in California would never spread it on their own, just like there was never a spike in MA, NY, NJ, MI...

The hypocrisy is really pretty mind blowing, like where Gov. Cuomo in NY cried fowl when RI was asking NYers to quarantine and just the mention of a national quarantine on the NY/NJ area when THEY were THE hotspot...now that clown is all a sudden for a quarantine on those from TX and AZ. Can't make this stuff up...

And let me guess, those MAGA hat wearing Republicans are the ones who spread it like wildfire around Chelsea, Lynn and Everett?
I never said we didn't have hot spot but California dealt with the outbreak quickly and efficiently. Now, they have a resurgence and it could have come from anywhere including the travel. Notice I said I wouldn't be surprised, I didn't say it was fact. Reading is fundamental. The difference is that people in the northeast actually wear masks for the most part and followed social distancing guidelines.And, everyone most everyone here was in favor or NYers having to quarantine or, better yet, not travel here.

What is your point about about Chelsea, Lynn, and Everett? Because my point is that essential workers were most at risk, it has nothing to do with race or ethnicity but with their jobs.

And, hate to break it to you, but I am neither red or blue because I am not naive enough to believe that there is any significant difference in the parties; not since the 80s.

Old 06-26-2020, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterTrees View Post
I never said we didn't have hot spot but California dealt with the outbreak quickly and efficiently. Now, they have a resurgence and it could have come from anywhere including the travel. Notice I said I wouldn't be surprised, I didn't say it was fact. Reading is fundamental. The difference is that people in the northeast actually wear masks for the most part and followed social distancing guidelines.And, everyone most everyone here was in favor or NYers having to quarantine or, better yet, not travel here.

What is your point about about Chelsea, Lynn, and Everett? Because my point is that essential workers were most at risk, it has nothing to do with race or ethnicity but with their jobs.

And, hate to break it to you, but I am neither red or blue because I am not naive enough to believe that there is any significant difference in the parties; not since the 80s.
Plenty in the Northeast are refusing to wear masks, and I'm sure in California as well. I find it a little absurd to point your finger at 2 red states, while dismissing a similar surge in a blue state as "due to travel".

My point about the quarantining was how both parties are playing politics with the whole thing, specifically noting Cuomo's "about face" on the whole issue now that he was on the other side of the barn door. And it wasn't just him, plenty of Democrats opposed it just because it was "Trump's" scheme to punish "blue" NY and NJ. How things change...

As for Chelsea, plenty of irresponsible behavior there as well (not just a matter of "essential workers"). You are buying into the simpleton notion of "reckless cowboys in those wide open red states" vs. "victims of poverty in inner city Massachusetts". It's not that cut and dry. I'm not red or blue either, btw.

Old 06-26-2020, 03:39 PM

1,186 posts, read 966,553 times
The utter stupidity of the USA's leadership choosing to politicize something as serious as a global pandemic is why this country is already in the mess it is in (along with its South American counterpart Brazil). Further stupid actions such as unnecessary intra-state travel, ignoring common sense health precautions, and a total and complete lack of any coherence between state leadership are serving only to worsen an already bad situation.

Common sense would tell you to cancel all non-emergency travel but this entire country seemingly abandoned common sense months ago. American individualism and rampant partisanship is turning out to be a deadly liability.

Old 06-26-2020, 04:04 PM

9,530 posts, read 16,515,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
This is exactly what scares me. Houston is one of the worst cities right now for Covid. My husband's friend had to fly to Houston from Logan. He said the plane was not full, everyone in Logan was social distancing, etc. When he arrived in Houston it was business as usual - everything open, airport totally crowded, zero masks or social distancing.

People are going to come from places like Houston and re-infect our area. It is a shame and a travesty that the federal government is unable to do anything to combat this disease, but rational places like New England are going to be re-infected by these red state people who believe it is their God-given right to infect as many people as possible.
I completely agree with you. I'm from Mass and live in Fla. I'd like to go up to Mass for the summer, but this isn't the time. Fla and Texas are a disgrace as our cases explode now.Their are few wearing masks here at all. I guess wearing one would put a damper on their redneck egos. It would be unfair of me to go up to Mass now. Plus I think Mass will follow their neighbors and restrict travel from Texas and Fla. Probably this coming week. With Fla at 9000 cases daily and rising. I would think that would have to be done. Houston is as bad as Fla with cases.

OP I think your visitors whether going to Mass or Maine really need to consider the danger of travelling now. Especially coming from a state that has the high cases it does. They could be carrying the Virus to New England.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts